Chimney collar but no bolts?

Featured Posts

Hi all

I've just been fitting a new fire surround and therefore moved the old fire from it's position to fit the hearth etc. Anyway, the chimney itself is booshed so I'm going to replace, but the collar is also quite booshed, so my plan was to get another and fit that. The only thing stopping me is there doesn't appear to be bolts. There's 2 points on it that look like there should be, but it looks like solid metal. Has anybody else got one like that? If so, how the hell are you supposed to take the thing off?

I looked at my neighbors and his are clearly bolts.

Does it have to be cut off, and one welded into place? 

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Tony

Some people stick them on with sealer adhesive or you may have studs in the collar and nuts below the roof. I would get access to the underside to see if there are nuts. If not then I fear its a brute force job to lever it up. use some timber to spread the load of any lever across more of the roof.

10 minutes ago, Tony Custard said:

There's 2 points on it that look like there should be, but it looks like solid metal.

Could that be the tops of a pair of coach bolts that you're seeing on the outside? If so, then there will be nuts underneath, which may become visible when you take out the flu pipe.

Jen

Cheers Tony. That's what I didn't check, the underside. I'll have a look when I'm there next. It seems to be solid where there should be bolts, just slight square indentations. 

If they only make them with the bolt holes I should be okay. If not, God knows how I'll get around it. 

Also, you don't know what the plate that goes around the chimney on the inside is called do you? (it's split in two) it's currently an old looking piece of solid asbestos - which is nice.

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Could that be the tops of a pair of coach bolts that you're seeing on the outside? If so, then there will be nuts underneath, which may become visible when you take out the flu pipe.

Jen

It could be. The issue I've had is the pipe has been well placed into the back of the fire, so up to now have avoided taking the pipe out, as I managed to move it just out of the way. I'll have a look when I take the split plate thing out from the inside.

Ta

If you have two small square indentations then these are likely the holes for coach bolts, but the collar has been glued on and the holes filled in. You could try drilling into these holes to confirm that, it will most likley be soft.

.............Dave

25 minutes ago, Tony Custard said:

Also, you don't know what the plate that goes around the chimney on the inside is called do you? (it's split in two) it's currently an old looking piece of solid asbestos - which is nice.

I suspect its called something like a "roof trim" or "ceiling collar" but as I did not think they gave a sufficient gap between the flue and any wood I used seem fireboard that I painted black. When unscrewed this also gave dead easy access to the fixing nuts. Packed the area above the board with Rockwool/glass fibre insulation.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I used seem fireboard that I painted black. When unscrewed this also gave dead easy access to the fixing nuts. Packed the area above the board with Rockwool/glass fibre insulation.

Same here

44 minutes ago, Tony Custard said:

Hi all

I've just been fitting a new fire surround and therefore moved the old fire from it's position to fit the hearth etc. Anyway, the chimney itself is booshed so I'm going to replace, but the collar is also quite booshed, so my plan was to get another and fit that. The only thing stopping me is there doesn't appear to be bolts. There's 2 points on it that look like there should be, but it looks like solid metal. Has anybody else got one like that? If so, how the hell are you supposed to take the thing off?

I looked at my neighbors and his are clearly bolts.

Does it have to be cut off, and one welded into place? 

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Tony

If you cant get it off you could always cap it and leave it there, just make good inside the boat.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

If you have two small square indentations then these are likely the holes for coach bolts, but the collar has been glued on and the holes filled in. You could try drilling into these holes to confirm that, it will most likley be soft.

.............Dave

Certainly sounds like it.