We need to move a wide beam from Nottinghamshire to Oxfordshire

Featured Posts

Hi all. We are complete novices to the boating world and we are in the process of buying a widebeam from Nottinghamshire (Langley Mill Boat yard) and will be looking to truck it down to Thame and Kennet Marina in Reading. The boat yard it is currently in does not have a crane. Does this mean it needs sailing to a place where is a crane or can one be hired? Can anyone recommend anything please and maybe a trucking company to transport it? Thank you so much.

Thank you to the peeps who have replied already. How the hell do I answer you? Not good on computers either!!

Edited by ldtreacher
update

4 minutes ago, ldtreacher said:

Hi all. We are complete novices to the boating world and we are in the process of buying a widebeam from Nottinghamshire and will be looking to truck it down to Thame and Kennet Marina in Reading. The boat yard it is currently in does not have a crane. Does this mean it needs sailing to a place where is a crane or can one be hired? Can anyone recommend anything please and maybe a trucking company to transport it? Thank you so much.

Some info. about exactly where you need to get from and to would help.

Welcome anyway.??

If its the widebeam I think it is, it is in our yard. We don't have access to get a crane in unfortunately as our access road is only 7ft wide and twisty and turny. Because of this we have to access our neighbours land to be able to crane in or out. Given the reach for the size of the vesseI, and the size of the crane required, I think the best option is to try redhill or Sawley marinas at the bottom of the Erewash to slip out. 

Kind regards

Dan

Langley Mill Boatyard 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, ldtreacher said:

Hi all. We are complete novices to the boating world and we are in the process of buying a widebeam from Nottinghamshire and will be looking to truck it down to Thame and Kennet Marina in Reading. The boat yard it is currently in does not have a crane. Does this mean it needs sailing to a place where is a crane or can one be hired? Can anyone recommend anything please and maybe a trucking company to transport it? Thank you so much.

Speak to the boat moving companies such as Ray Bowern, they will know all the cranage  spots

https://bargemovers.com

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Happy 1

12 hours ago, ldtreacher said:

Hi all. We are complete novices to the boating world and we are in the process of buying a widebeam from Nottinghamshire (Langley Mill Boat yard) and will be looking to truck it down to Thame and Kennet Marina in Reading. The boat yard it is currently in does not have a crane. Does this mean it needs sailing to a place where is a crane or can one be hired? Can anyone recommend anything please and maybe a trucking company to transport it? Thank you so much.

Thank you to the peeps who have replied already. How the hell do I answer you? Not good on computers either!!

Click on Quote at the bottom of a post you want to reply to then start typing.

I've known Ray for a bout as long as he has.... He's an ex-boater, thus know the system.

I suspect that once you get to T&K you may not be cruising much (in company with the other occupants of the marina)

Soooo -

why not launch it further upstream - say in the Oxford area - and cruise down? It might cost a bit less as well.

Just a thought...

ps: It's The Thames - The river Thame is nobut a ditch and would not float your craft...

Edited by OldGoat

12 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I

ps: It's The Thames - The river Thame is nobut a ditch and would not float your craft...

I dunno - I got up to Dorchester bridge in a Shetland Family four a few years ago. The locals looked surprised.

I do know of a widebeam that was put in at Salters boat yard in Oxford at Donnington Bridge. They do not have a crane there so that would need sorting. Might be worth a ask as OG suggests.

If not it is Butcher Marine who does the lifting for T&K.

18 minutes ago, billS said:

I dunno - I got up to Dorchester bridge in a Shetland Family four a few years ago. The locals looked surprised.

Hehe - you won't now the entrance under the bridge ic completely weeded up...

17 minutes ago, Paringa said:

I do know of a widebeam that was put in at Salters boat yard in Oxford at Donnington Bridge. They do not have a crane there so that would need sorting. Might be worth a ask as OG suggests.

If not it is Butcher Marine who does the lifting for T&K.

There's a large crane at at Oxford Cruisers at Eynsham (just above Oxford) - should be cheaper than having a crane to travel.

Salter's yard looked very tired and almost derelict when we last passed by. Loads of new safety regulations are killing off /have killed of the trip traffic at both ends of the Thames.

I understand that safety regulations are important, but mebe "one size fits all" rules kills the whole industry, which I suspec was only barely surviving anyway.

Edited by OldGoat

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I liked mooring overnight in there

Ugh! overhanging trees, stern sticking out...

Much nicer above Day's lock, specially now the pedigree coos have gone..

(Chacun and all that...)