Webasto Radiator Output

Featured Posts

Good Afternoon,

I am (still) in the process of fitting out my narrowboat and I am at the stage of heating. I’ve just bought a new 75L calorifier and have a reconditioned Webasto Thermotop C. 
I think I am correct in stating that I need 5.5kw of radiator output and to ignore the calorifier. I have a 60ft narrowboat and want column radiators.

The plan is 4-5 radiators of different sizes:

Bedroom 600x423 - 3 column 658w

Lounge 600x999 - 3 column 1783w

Office, Bathroom, Kitchen - 3 column 1134w 

Total - 5843w

Does this look right and anything obvious I’m missing/any tips for installing. 

I wanted to avoid a kitchen radiator but this would only give me 4700w, how bad are the consequences of this? I’m aware it’s to do with cycling and coking up but can this be negated by regular servicing? 

Thank you!

Just a question about the Webasto.

There are two types (Marine and automotive) the differences being the 'software' on the marine version works on differing voltages and the marine version has a different exhaust system.

The automotive exhaust has a 'drain' hole in it, which doesn't matter on a car as the gas just goes under the car, but on a boat will fill the boat full of exhaust / CO fumes.

Before installation check you have the correct model (a look at the exhaust 'silencer' will give a quick clue) and the correct marine installation kit.

The ones on ebay are usually 'automotive ones'.

The automotive Webasto also shuts down at a higher battery voltage as it is designed to run of the starter battery in a truck without leaving it too flat to start the engine. Hence a pain in the butt on a boat leisure battery. 

Its possible to reprogram the heater reprogrammed by a dealer, at a price.

The automotive silencer has a drain hole which must not be used inside a boat as it will spill CO and CO2 into the boat and kill someone.

The quoted output of radiators is dependant on the water feed temperature, the temperature drop across the radiator and the difference between these temperatures and the ambient temperature.  The figures cannot therefore be taken as gospel.

You will rarely achieve the catalogue output in a boat running a diesel heater.

Having said all that, you are near enough to the required loading but must include the calorifier in the calculation. The outputs can be adjusted by controlling the flow through each individual radiator and the calorifier with the lockshield valves.  Do not use thermostatic valves with a Webasto system.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Thank you for your responses. 
The webasto is indeed an automotive version but has been reprogrammed to the correct voltage for working on the boat, I only purchased the actual unit so need to gather the other bits, including the correct exhaust. 

In regards to the calorifier, I was under the impression that it shouldn’t be counted as the output drops as the temperature of the water rises? Or something...

So do I need not worry too much about hitting the stated 5.5Kw as it’s already a struggle? 

7 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

'Coulmn' radiators - if you mean the simulated cast iron types - don't half bang your ankles as you pass by.

Flat panel types will take up much less floor space....

Yeah, but they look good! 

3 minutes ago, ASupertramp said:

Thank you for your responses. 
The webasto is indeed an automotive version but has been reprogrammed to the correct voltage for working on the boat, I only purchased the actual unit so need to gather the other bits, including the correct exhaust. 

In regards to the calorifier, I was under the impression that it shouldn’t be counted as the output drops as the temperature of the water rises? Or something...

So do I need not worry too much about hitting the stated 5.5Kw as it’s already a struggle? 

Yeah, but they look good! 

Fairy nuff.

Just wear thick socks and boots...

"""

Having said all that, you are near enough to the required loading but must include the calorifier in the calculation. The outputs can be adjusted by controlling the flow through each individual radiator and the calorifier with the lockshield valves.  Do not use thermostatic valves with a Webasto system.

TD'

Edited 21 minutes ago by Tracy D'arth  """

Near enough.