Featured Posts

Hello there,

I'm looking at getting a Aintree Boats narrowboat built. I want a cruiser stern and would like to know from someone who owns (or knows someone who owns) a Aintree boats cruiser or semi trad stern narrowboat and whether the drainage for the engine bay works properly?

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you cannot get a reply here, how about going to look at a used one on sale somewhere and lifting the deck boards to see what state the engine bilge is in?

TD'

That might be a good idea if this doesn't work out

2 hours ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

Hello there,

I'm looking at getting a Aintree Boats narrowboat built. I want a cruiser stern and would like to know from someone who owns (or knows someone who owns) a Aintree boats cruiser or semi trad stern narrowboat and whether the drainage for the engine bay works properly?

Most Aintree boats I have seen have a channel arrangement under the deck boards which is then reaches a drain hole and is piped to the sides of the boat. 

This is a fairly common system in narrowboats, and only falls down if the channels or pipes become blocked.....clearing these several times a year is good practice, especially in autumn if the rear deck is not covered. 

Theres is usually a bilge pump as well.

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Most Aintree boats I have seen have a channel arrangement under the deck boards which is then reaches a drain hole and is piped to the sides of the boat. 

This is a fairly common system in narrowboats, and only falls down if the channels or pipes become blocked.....clearing these several times a year is good practice, especially in autumn if the rear deck is not covered. 

Theres is usually a bilge pump as well.

True, they work well if kept clean and rust free, BUT if the boat is moored with a list, they don't! From my experience anyway.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, we'd always cruise in the rain, I'd have the pram-hood up and when we got to a lock SWMBO would disembark with an umbrella, only fair really.

How do you wangle that?

Always the reverse on our boat, and having a brolly to keep you dry whilst doing the locks is about as effective as having a chocolate fireguard to stop coals dropping on your rug.......

I have a Liverpool boat and the channels around the deckboards are a bit too shallow. Most of the time they can cope with the rain as long as channels and the downpipes are clear, but in a real downpour they get overwhelmed and sometimes I find a puddle of water on the uxter plate on one side and a puddle on the base plate. 

They should have built it with deeper channels, but it's no biggy. I just keep some nappies down there and change them occasionally. Compared to the engine bays on some canal boats I've seen mine is pretty dry.

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do people cruise in the rain, I thought I was the only one which is why I have a trad

I would only do it when strictly necessary and wear my motorbike waterproofs. I see people cruising past in the rain sometimes and they're obviously much keener than me. I'd rather be comfortable onboard in the dry.

10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

How do you wangle that?

Always the reverse on our boat, and having a brolly to keep you dry whilst doing the locks is about as effective as having a chocolate fireguard to stop coals dropping on your rug.......

You need a small boy or a butler to hold it for you