Sailing the seas of Confusing Portable Generators

Batainte

Featured Posts

Just now, agg221 said:

I have a generator for running power tools. It's an Kawasaki GA1400A, bought second hand and well used. I have run power tools up to 1200W and it works fine. I bought this size because it's difficult to find certain tools, particular circular saws and power planes, below that power rating which are worth having and tools like battery angle grinders really take the run time on the battery down.

Alec

Cheers. 

Most of my work kit is Makita 18V and something like 18-20 4-6amp batteries at the last count so for most stuff I’m sorted.   Generator I figure will be useful for sanders where I could be working for extended times sanding and also for occasional meatier stuff like say corded track saw for wooden worktops where the 18v will do it but it’ll be hard work and multiple passes.  

And then for just having on the boat for battery charging or occasional ‘other stuff’ after that.  Don’t want to go too small and then find it’ll run a couple of sanders and be no use for much else.  A 2,000w £500 unit I THINK fits that bill. 

16 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

And having read all the replies prompted by my typo that made it look like I’d put it on ‘the back’ (bank) I’m probably going to just run it inside, perhaps next to the bed while we sleep.  😂😂😂

Be careful what you write on an internet forum

Some eejit may take it as advice,

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Hmm. Many thanks.  That champion one seems very well regarded if the reviews are to be believed.  The weight doesn’t bother me too much to be honest as it’ll not be being moved around too often I don’t think.  

And having read all the replies prompted by my typo that made it look like I’d put it on ‘the back’ (bank) I’m probably going to just run it inside, perhaps next to the bed while we sleep.  😂😂😂

People rate the Honda Eu20i very very highly, in all aspects- fuel consumption, noise, lifespan, and resale value. But at £1300 ish, I don't know if I could splash that sort of cash when there's a £500 genny on offer, that will do the same job.

Being realistic, the Atom will use more fuel than the Honda, and it will be louder, and it will not last for half as long as the Honda. But who cares, as long as it does the job you need for a price you are ok with paying? 

Also, bear in mind there are some places (e.g. London) where having a Honda running next to the boat is almost a guarantee of an attempted burglary soon afterwards- if you believe all the accounts.

So an affordable, anonymous genny might be just the thing to go for. 

1 minute ago, Tony1 said:

People rate the Honda Eu20i very very highly, in all aspects- fuel consumption, noise, lifespan, and resale value. But at £1300 ish, I don't know if I could splash that sort of cash when there's a £500 genny on offer, that will do the same job.

Being realistic, the Atom will use more fuel than the Honda, and it will be louder, and it will not last for half as long as the Honda. But who cares, as long as it does the job you need for a price you are ok with paying? 

Also, bear in mind there are some places (e.g. London) where having a Honda running next to the boat is almost a guarantee of an attempted burglary soon afterwards- if you believe all the accounts.

Sounds good.  
And having had both the works van done over and then being robbed of tools actually on a clients driveway while 3 of us were up a scaffold, within 3 weeks I could do without losing anything more currently.  🙄

1 minute ago, truckcab79 said:

Sounds good.  
And having had both the works van done over and then being robbed of tools actually on a clients driveway while 3 of us were up a scaffold, within 3 weeks I could do without losing anything more currently.  🙄

In the 80s I was a keen cyclist and used a racing bike frame made from Reynolds 531 tubing, which was highly regarded at the time, and highly prized by bike thieves. 

Once or twice a week I left the bike chained outside a city centre pub for a few hours (whilst I attended Bible studies nearby)-  and to reduce the ridiculously high risk of theft or vandalism, I did a crappy black spray paint job on the frame, and I painted over some of the names on the components (Shimano Deore XT etc). 

The bike looked like a cheap crappy runabout that was not worth nicking, but it was actually a super light and very nippy machine- and there was not a single theft attempt in 5 years of parking it in the city centre at all hours of the night (sometimes the Bible studies ran late). 

With that in mind, I'm thinking f I ever do buy a genny, I'll make its casing look 10 years old (and knackered) as soon as I get it.

There are some possessions that are better off looking like s**t. 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Not necessarily. 

The first time it packs up, will you find spare parts for it as easy to get as for a Honda?

And it will! 

Eventually.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Not necessarily. 

The first time it packs up, will you find spare parts for it as easy to get as for a Honda?

And it will! 

Eventually.

Probably to be honest.  I buy quite a bit of cheap Chinese 2 and 4 stroke gear for work.  I’ve only had one piece of kit that was junk. (A Titan hedge trimmer but I’ve replaced it with another off-brand which is fantastic). The rest just runs flawlessly. Not as quiet or refined but never fails to do the job.  When on the odd occasion you need parts they tend to use generic stuff for the internals that are common across multiple brand machines so as long as you’re handy at taking stuff apart they’re dirt cheap and very easy to fix.  

The champion has a three year warranty.  Three years for less than £500 is fine by me especially as in reality it’ll probably last forever.   

To go back to the co poisoning.

2 dead at bascot  on GU about 15 years ago generator running in engine room with doors open. Boat owned less than a week.

1986 3 pulled out of a boat a t chapmans in ricky unconscious.

Genny  in well deck. Out of fuel.

Resi mooring with shed.

Whilst child in hospital they did it again 🤪.

We moored opposite t the time.

Just saying.

• Greenie 1

Kawasaki did some nice little generators including the smallest electric start generator ever.

Well I think it was anyway. It was the GD700AS. I had one of these briefly before it got nicked off the back of the boat. Interesting approach to include a simple one button electric start on such a small genny but in reality it was nowhere near as good as the Honda EX650 which is the undisputed King of small generators. Ten times quieter in the real world than the awful EU10i which replaced it. 

Of course these days big solar panels sort most of the leccy for those of use who don't use much. 

Good riddance to portable generators say I. 

Of course other people use boats as houses. 

It takes all sorts but I really hate the whine of a tinny Kipor or Honda ~1 or 2kw genny when loaded. Not a nice thing to listen to. 

Edited by magnetman

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It takes all sorts but I really hate the whine of a tinny Kipor or Honda ~1 or 2kw genny when loaded. Not a nice thing to listen to.

But then nor is the horrible farty exhaust noise of a BMC 1.8 running at 1500rpm with an undersized silencer. Or any other modern diesel for that matter!

Back in the day I'd been running my Kelvin in T&K Marina for about half an hour to recharge desperately low batts (before solar got cheap) when, conscious of the 'no engine running' rule, I shut it down so as not to be a nuisance. Three neighbouring boaters all independently came over to me and said "Hey, why you shut it down? We were enjoying listening to that!!

I prefer a well silenced inboard diesel or the Kelvin to a tinny generator loaded up to within an inch of its rings going any day. 

Small generators have their uses which don't include running flat out just because you want mains electric on the boat. 

Bloody nuisance. They are almost as annoying as that ridiculously common phenomenon called 'Other Boaters' I can't abide this which is why I am moving to a more private area on the country estate in a private channel where nobody goes. 

Its gonna be great. 

11 hours ago, Tony1 said:

In the 80s I was a keen cyclist and used a racing bike frame made from Reynolds 531 tubing, which was highly regarded at the time, and highly prized by bike thieves. 

Once or twice a week I left the bike chained outside a city centre pub for a few hours (whilst I attended Bible studies nearby)-  and to reduce the ridiculously high risk of theft or vandalism, I did a crappy black spray paint job on the frame, and I painted over some of the names on the components (Shimano Deore XT etc). 

The bike looked like a cheap crappy runabout that was not worth nicking, but it was actually a super light and very nippy machine- and there was not a single theft attempt in 5 years of parking it in the city centre at all hours of the night (sometimes the Bible studies ran late). 

With that in mind, I'm thinking f I ever do buy a genny, I'll make its casing look 10 years old (and knackered) as soon as I get it.

There are some possessions that are better off looking like s**t. 

Or just paint it pink.😜

• Haha 1

I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so apologies if any repetition. I've got the HY3200sei and for its size it is both fairly light and reasonably quiet. A major issue is there is no way to secure it, so more suitable for a mooring. The actual output is 2.8kva.

I'm quite impressed by the Champion Atom fusion, and this may be an option, at around the same output and again, not likely to induce a hernia when moved. Whatever you choose, make sure it is an inverter type as most modern chargers won't recognise the crude, non sine wave power that 'site'type generators produce.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Isn't the difference that a petrol generator creates CO when properly maintained, and a gas stove and a SF don't when properly maintained?

A gas stove or a  solid fuel stove can produce CO if there is  insufficient air supply even if the appliance  is properly maintained.

• 5 weeks later...

Had it a few weeks and in the absence of the boat it’s not actually left the box until today.  Bought the Champion Atom 2200w in the end. Unboxed it and added oil and fuel today. Started up first pull. Lovely and quiet.  Hardly an in-depth review but seems like a nice bit of kit.  

Edited by truckcab79

• 4 months later...
On 04/09/2023 at 08:31, Tony1 said:

Hi... Ive had 2 of the Honda Eu20i gennys.. 1 has 5700hrs on it and the back up has over 7000hrs... incredible eh...

My son is a Honda mechanic and he recommended them to me over 15 years ago as I need portable energy for my business

I just had a new carburetor and valve grind done to the 5700hr one as it was running a little rich,,.. Both still start on the second pull..

a1a.jpg.cc064dbbbe0af5d68e89fc0139b738f8.jpg

• Greenie 1