Incident at Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Fourteen police cars? Assuming an average of two bules in each, that sounds like a big incident.

If it involves a missing child as has been suggested then they will be pulling out all the stops I guess.

Just now, Stilllearning said:

Was that meant to be funny?

Of course it was. It was a 'joke'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

A joke is a display of humour in which words are used within a specific and well-defined narrative structure to make people laugh and is not meant to be taken seriously. It takes the form of a story, usually with dialogue, and ends in a punch line. It is in the punch line that the audience becomes aware that the story contains a second, conflicting meaning. This can be done using a pun or other word play such as irony or sarcasm, a logical incompatibility, nonsense, or other means.

41 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

In the present racially aware times, a ‘race hate’ word in a ‘joke’ that also mentions mods wasn’t very intelligent timing. Much of the power of humour is down to timing, when the timing is good.

I thought it was quite a good joke. I thought the timing was good.

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Was that meant to be funny?

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

I thought it was quite a good joke. I thought the timing was good.

This particular Mod "got it" and whilst I didn't laugh I didn't worry either - mind you a passing knowledge of Indonesian swear words helps ;) Goran Ivanisavic got caught our at Wimbledon when someone in the audience knew what he'd said.

I'd be grateful if this didn't take a very sombre subject off topic please

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's an Indonesian race-hate word.

I'm surprised the mods allowed it to remain after it was posted ...

Apparently some Europeans do not like the word, however, it is my understanding that Indonesians use the word Bule simply to describe a white person, but not in the same derogatory manner as some words used by white people to describe black people.

Edited by David Schweizer

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's an Indonesian race-hate word.

I'm surprised the mods allowed it to remain after it was posted ...

Now I know why I didn't follow up the moderator position advertised recently. I'm not fluent in Indonesian.

It's like no-one knew 'slope' was a raycist word when Top Gear were discussing a bridge they had built.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Apparently some Europeans do not like the word, however, it is my understanding that Indonesians use the word Bule simply to describe a white person, but not in the same derogatory manner as some words used by white people to describe black people.

Other white people take great offence at the word, so surely we shouldn't use it.

I know quite a few black people who cheerfully use the "N-word" to describe themselves, but I don't use that one either.  

3 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

In the present racially aware times, a ‘race hate’ word in a ‘joke’ that also mentions mods wasn’t very intelligent timing.

I only requoted the word in question after it had been used into the thread.  I did not introduce it.

Much though it's bad form to explain a joke, you seem to need assistance so here goes:

The joke was a tongue in cheek dig at the moderator who introduced the word into the thread.  He found the comment funny, so I think it was bang on target. 

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Other white people take great offence at the word, so surely we shouldn't use it.

It's a well known (and often quoted) fact that only white people can be racist. Hence a white person is not allowed to take offence.

• Greenie 3