Old ruggerini timing ,

Ant cole

Featured Posts

Hi guys.  Ruggerini rm 278  direct injection , the further saga of trying  to get the boat running better ,  saga so far , top end rebuild inc new pistons ,liners and rings , , we thought maybe engine was running cold , however after water pump failed this was obviously not the case , . When engine was put back together the mechanic stated no timing marks anywhere , it’s timed by shims under injector pump , we have had injectors tested , pump tested , tank cleaned. , all filters new , 

at the moment I have the injector pump lifted on feeler gauges. There was one shim under the pump.5 mm height I would guess at , 

this has been removed and feeler gauges used to advance or retard timing by height , with no gauge in I assume fully advanced, . With no load and revved engine is quite clear of smoke . When running it has greyish smoke , not clouds but more than I would like , i

with no marks ,how can I time this correctly ?  

Hi we have been running it for probably 9 months  at weekends so I believe it’s run in , shim was damaged , and was not running right with just one shim ,  my feeler gauges have been set at same height , still grey smoke , , 

7 minutes ago, Ant cole said:

Hi we have been running it for probably 9 months  at weekends so I believe it’s run in , shim was damaged , and was not running right with just one shim ,  my feeler gauges have been set at same height , still grey smoke , , 

When you say run at weekends, is that under load? At normal temperature?  Injectors set correctly with good atomisation pattern?

Not teaching grandma about eggs, if its retarded it will produce white smelly smoke, if advanced it may run fine but produce black smoke when on a heavy load easier than normal.

I would doubt that the engine would suffer if it was slightly too far advanced, there is probably plenty of play in the pump and its drive by now making accurate timing somewhat unimportant.

In the absence of any way of timing it I would go with what it had originally  but accurately measure the original shim.

TD'

Hi yes injectors have been out and checked for correct pressure opening and spray pattern and type , , , the only other thing we were concerned about was injector copper washer size, books says .5 mm.  But it had 1mm in  before top was redone , due to the smoke issue as our mechanic thought it was glazed bores. , but seems that wasn’t the problem ,  as it still has smoke issues , we have gone back to .5 .  mm , As I stated the head was skimmed and pressure tested , , it seems to me the problem is fuel or rather how it’s burned , , 

• 1 month later...

Well after a while we have finally got a clean running engine , retarded the timing which increased the revs. , then adjusted smoke screw which is basically fuel amount till revs drop , and bingo.  No smoke , it’s sluggish on the throttle but that’s fine as long  as a cleaner engine , running sweet , sounding nice. , 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Ant cole said:

Well after a while we have finally got a clean running engine , retarded the timing which increased the revs. , then adjusted smoke screw which is basically fuel amount till revs drop , and bingo.  No smoke , it’s sluggish on the throttle but that’s fine as long  as a cleaner engine , running sweet , sounding nice. , 

Good. Thanks for letting us know, it may help someone else with the problem.

• 7 months later...

As per my other posts. It’s now all sorted. , was incompatibility of omap injector bodies and Bosch nozzles. , replaced with matching omap nozzles and smoke totally cleared ,   ,, was a good learning course and now my diesel knowledge is pretty good. , and that pays on a boat ,