Leaking Radiator Bleed Screw

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So if I open the bleed valve, the air will escape and be replaced with water? 

Works best if you heat up the system first and then turn off the Eber and any water pumps. Hot water under a bit of pressure bleeding out chases air out nuch better and cleans up the valve and seats.    Freddie Mercury  Under Pressure. 

On 29/06/2020 at 07:48, baldlimey said:

Thanks all

I will get a picture this weekend.

Pete

As others have said, replace the whole thing.  If you close both radiator valves you will only get a small amount of water released when you unscrew it.

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

So if I open the bleed valve, the air will escape and be replaced with water? 

Some years ago I was in a Board Meeting, when my Secretary came in saying SWMBO was on the phone and urgently needed me to go home.

Dutifully off I went.

We lived in an old Victorian house with a 'rabbit warren' of cellars and I eventually found her in there.

One of the radiators in the cellar was not getting hot so (having watched me in the past) decided to bleed it.

She found the little brass 'tool' and set to - she loosened the bleed-screw too far and it has shot out of the top of the radiator and was lost somewhere across the other side of the room, so there she was doing her 'little Dutch boy' act with her finger covering the hole and being 'burnt' by the hot water. Couldn't let go as the jet of water would have soaked everything, couldn't reach (or even see) the bleed screw.

Didn't think (or know about) turning off the valves at the bottom.

How we (I) laughed !

Edited by Alan de Enfield

14 hours ago, Flyboy said:

As others have said, replace the whole thing.  If you close both radiator valves you will only get a small amount of water released when you unscrew it.

If you close both radiator valves (and they seal completely - some don't) then almost no air will come out of the bleed valve since the water which replaces it can't get into the radiator.

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you close both radiator valves (and they seal completely - some don't) then almost no air will come out of the bleed valve since the water which replaces it can't get into the radiator.

I think he's talking about removing the bleed valve assembly and replacing it, so this technique reduces leakage while fitting the new one.

You are correct that it's a bad idea if simply trying to bleed the radiator though.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Didn't think (or know about) turning off the valves at the bottom.

How we (I) laughed !

A) if they hold and (B) if you have something to fit the lockshield.  (B) may not have been applicable on an old system but (A) a lot more likely 

Edited by ditchcrawler
the B turned into a smilie

43 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think he's talking about removing the bleed valve assembly and replacing it, so this technique reduces leakage while fitting the new one.

You are correct that it's a bad idea if simply trying to bleed the radiator though.

Yes, I was talking about changing the complete valve assembly, not bleeding the rad. You can't bleed the rad with the valves shut.