Leaking Radiator Bleed Screw

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have a bleed screw on a radiator on the boat which just keeps weeping with the central heating pump on or off.

It is staining the woodwork below so I would really like to stop it, I have tightened as much as I dare, any brilliant ideas aprreciated. 

Thanks

Peter

Edited by baldlimey
Typo

1 hour ago, baldlimey said:

Hi,

I have a bleed screw on a radiator on the boat which just keeps weeping with the central heating pump on or off.

It is staining the woodwork below so I would really like to stop it, I have tightened as much as I dare, any brilliant ideas aprreciated. 

Thanks

Peter

I had a small weep from the immersion heater in my heated towel rail, fitted in my boats bathroom.

I added some Fernox F4 Central Heating Leak Sealer to the header tank as a temporary measure until I could get round to sorting it. That was 5 years ago and it hasn't leaked since, so I still haven't got round to sorting it permanently. ??

https://www.toolstation.com/fernox-f4-central-heating-leak-sealer/p83815?store=ER&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7ApthGSb7Os9ZFxJSI9Og35kg6R0YLjL9PAtoKZImGmsxUF8GDoU7hoCwtEQAvD_BwE

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I had a small weep from the immersion heater in my heated towel rail, fitted in my boats bathroom.

I added some Fernox F4 Central Heating Leak Sealer to the header tank as a temporary measure until I could get round to sorting it. That was 5 years ago and it hasn't leaked since, so I still haven't got round to sorting it permanently. ??

https://www.toolstation.com/fernox-f4-central-heating-leak-sealer/p83815?store=ER&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7ApthGSb7Os9ZFxJSI9Og35kg6R0YLjL9PAtoKZImGmsxUF8GDoU7hoCwtEQAvD_BwE

I used that on a badly leaking oil fired boiler at home, it kept me going all through the winter until I could fit a new one

Its not easy to just change the screw as there is more than one taper in use depending on manufacturer if its a normal domestic rad best to change the whole thing with something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANUAL-RADIATOR-VENT-BLEED-VALVE/dp/B007JX6CVM

You will have to partially drain the system first.

Edited by Loddon

28 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Its not easy to just change the screw as there is more than one taper in use depending on manufacturer if its a normal domestic rad best to change the whole thing with something like this

Thats what I meant when I said change it, not just the needle valve

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Loddon said:

If the bleed screw is screwed into a bigger fitting, then you can probably replace with this, or you may find your bleed screw is into a 1/8th bsp fitting and you can replace with a similar fitting, but smaller. If you are unlucky, the small screw may be direct into the radiator and your chances of getting one may be remote.

If you turn off both the valves, you can remove the unit or screw with just a minimal amount of water loss you can catch in a towel. You can then traipse around some good plumbing merchants (independents will be more help than the sheds) to see what you can find.

6 hours ago, jddevel said:

Thought they had an "O" ring on them. If so just change it and do`t over tighten.

No radiator bleed screws are brass and have a taper seal.

You can get a box of assorted sizes if you aren't sure of the size.

N

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

No radiator bleed screws are brass and have a taper seal.

Agreed old ones do but all mine and those I`ve installed new  I seem to recall are steel a have a "o" ring. Perhaps the OP will confirm. 

9 hours ago, jddevel said:

N

Agreed old ones do but all mine and those I`ve installed new  I seem to recall are steel a have a "o" ring. Perhaps the OP will confirm. 

Shows you how long it must be since I put a radiator in then! ??

20200705_115318.jpg.07102f64b70f70f3d514110123e9d25e.jpgHi,

I am back from the boat with a couple of photos. The fitting does look like it would unscrew, but I did not try to remove it.

I did take out the bleed screw and it is not tapered it has a blunt end with a raised circle in the middle, not sure how clear that is in the photo. It is next to a new standard screw for comparison. I did remove another screw and it was the same.

Pete

Had to do 2 post for 2 photos20200704_184855.jpg.a8ff10ef678595da58e0e595bb25a668.jpg

I think that this was one of those later bleeders with a turnable plastic center so you could direct the water.

They are infamous for breaking.

Go and buy a standard brass 1/2" BSP radiator bleed plug and change the whole thing.

I was not using foul language. I was once asked how much I would charge for bleeding radiators, the short answer was £1 a bl**ding rad.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I was once asked how much I would charge for bleeding radiators, the short answer was £1 a bl**ding rad.

I've got two that need doing, and I'm moored at Burscough.  When can you do them please, as it's worth a couple of quid to avoid digging the plumbing box out from under the bed ....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've got two that need doing, and I'm moored at Burscough.  When can you do them please, as it's worth a couple of quid to avoid digging the plumbing box out from under the bed ....

This occurred many years ago.

Unfortunately due to inflation and the abilities of expert heating engineers now being a precious commodity, prices have risen substantially.

Current rates are £55 per hour or part thereof including travelling time plus £1.70 per mile each way from base to site. Should these rates be acceptable, we will see you on Thursday in the forenoon.

Refreshments of brewed decaf coffee will be required on the hour, every hour, with a smoke break of 10 minutes concurrently.

TD'

Thank you everyone for you advice.

If it us useful to anyone it is a myson type 13. VERY easy to change once you have the right part.

There is a good seller on ebay am I allowed to mention his name here?

Peter

• 5 months later...

Hmmmm, hi guys, it's about fifty years since I bled a rad, so I was confused when I tried to find anything similar to my radiator bleed key, I note changes (see above). 

I can live without the one radiator which has failed as the copper pipes are large bore, and boat is rarely cold in the bedroom.

If I decide to bleed it, is it just a matter of opening the fitting at the top with spanners, when the water Webasto is On or OFF? 

I am inclined to leave well alone in case of............ 

Flooding

Total malfunction

Partial malfunction

PS I looked out window during the night, all was white over, but this morning temp is + freezing, towpath v muddy. 

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Hmmmm, hi guys, it's about fifty years since I bled a rad, so I was confused when I tried to find anything similar to my radiator bleed key, I note changes (see above). 

I can live without the one radiator which has failed as the copper pipes are large bore, and boat is rarely cold in the bedroom.

If I decide to bleed it, is it just a matter of opening the fitting at the top with spanners, when the water Webasto is On or OFF? 

I am inclined to leave well alone in case of............ 

Flooding

Total malfunction

Partial malfunction

PS I looked out window during the night, all was white over, but this morning temp is + freezing, towpath v muddy. 

Do it when webasto is off. ?