Cruiser or Traditional Stern

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I can't see over the roof unless putside, Th handle is 6 7nches long

On most (all?) trad sterns the rear deck outside the back doors in at the same level as the bit inside the doors. is your not like that?  If it isn't perhaps a box of some sort might be helpful. I have seen a milk bottle box with a sheet of wood with a non slip surface on top used.  Whatever the box needs to be stable.

haggis

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

On most (all?) trad sterns the rear deck outside the back doors in at the same level as the bit inside the doors. is your not like that?  If it isn't perhaps a box of some sort might be helpful. I have seen a milk bottle box with a sheet of wood with a non slip surface on top used.  Whatever the box needs to be stable.

haggis

That is the only fault I found with mine. The engine covers are about 3 inches lower thsn the stern deck.

I use a wooden toolbox to stand on, and close thecrear doors behind me to keep my reactive GSD safely inside the boat.

I can't be bothered to plough all through the thread, I'll just add that we chose a cruiser stern because it gives enough room for several people & 2 dogs to stay there together while we travel. We shut the doors to keep the dogs safely inside when we go through a lock, and without exception all 8 over the years have loved it. We don't have a cover or pram-hood and it doesnt leak any rain into the engine compartment, ever. There is masses of easy access to the engine and the weed hatch, and we have never for one moment regretted our choice.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

That is the only fault I found with mine. The engine covers are about 3 inches lower thsn the stern deck.

I use a wooden toolbox to stand on, and close thecrear doors behind me to keep my reactive GSD safely inside the boat.

But I seem to be very busy on the rear deck, rescuing broken down widebeams [Well one widebeam], keeping alert, doing locks, swing bridges, lifting bridges, mooring up for sanitation/water/ice creams, siesta, avoiding deer, oncoming Exol Pride, and folks who insist on steering on the centre line, swimmers, anglers, and boys mooning!

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

apparently cruiser stern is nice but but might sink if it rains too much (learnt on this forum...)

Proper ones have drains so water goes overboard and not into engine compartment! Or both mine did 

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Mmmmm the previous posts have just proved why a cruiser stern is best not a lot of room and a good chance of the boat killing you!?

I have seen people sitting on the taff rail inside the arc on cruiser sterns, and that's no better. 

If you are steering a cruiser stern properly, you'll be standing up in front of the tiller anyway, so you might as well have cabin round you while you do it ...

17 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

apparently cruiser stern is nice but but might sink if it rains too much (learnt on this forum...)

That is a worry if you are not at boat regularly. They are very sociable , of course.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have seen people sitting on the taff rail inside the arc on cruiser sterns, and that's no better. 

If you are steering a cruiser stern properly, you'll be standing up in front of the tiller anyway, so you might as well have cabin round you while you do it ...

Or pram cover and and have the best of both worlds, or better still a wheelhouse and steering wheel with comfy seat ?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I can't see over the roof unless outside, The handle is 6 /7nches long, I can't get past it if doors closed. I dodge from one side to t'other.

Doors closed to keep cat inside as well.

I might try with bikes in well deck, but they might be a hazzard, on a long journey I could put them inside, but I still feel hande is not givng me a safe working area.

Anything is possible. My daughter was quite young when she started to steer, and she could not see over the top of the cabin, so I built a special platform which gave her more height. Even so she still looked quite small, which generated bemusement from passing boaters, especially when they looked backwards to see her standing on her platform.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Anything is possible. My daughter was quite young when she started to steer, and she could not see over the top of the cabin, so I built a special platform which gave her more height. Even so she still looked quite small, which generated bemusement from passing boaters, especially when they looked backwards to see her standing on her platform.

Same for my Grandsons.But each to their own as they say.

For a three season boat and more then one person, cruiser stern has huge advantages.

But with only one of you and a dog, the extra shelter steering, and more internal space would be a distinct advantage in winter.

2 minutes ago, DandV said:

For a three season boat and more then one person, cruiser stern has huge advantages.

But with only one of you and a dog, the extra shelter steering, and more internal space would be a distinct advantage in winter.

This in my opinion is a good idea, as someone in the earlier threads stated if you got a hatch that ran the length of the engine room (half shed) it would make entering/exiting a bit easier and you wont have to crawl out on your knees

13 hours ago, Halsey said:

Trad every time pref with a boatmans cabin and a stove (and an engine room)

Great roof space for dogs when its dry, BMC for dogs when its wet, heating to keep you happy (and food on the go) and the engine provides somewhere to dry your clothes - and the dogs don't get under your feet

stuff.jpeg

What engine do you have?

11 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

Like this?

Ouse04.JPG

14 hours ago, cuthound said:

That is the only fault I found with mine. The engine covers are about 3 inches lower than the stern deck.

I use a wooden toolbox to stand on, and close the rear doors behind me to keep my reactive GSD safely inside the boat.

I have this box to stand on as the engine cover is also about 3" lower than the counter. The lip of the lid sits on the counter so the box is quite stable.

Also doubles up as a store for goat chains, spare lines reserve windlass etc. The top of the lid has non slip and the front is decorated.

Coal box 002.jpg

Coal box 001.jpg

lis 2.JPG

Before anyone mentions, the stern line is not hanging directly off the tiller or tiller pin. Had this arrangement for many years and never had the line round the blades yet...........

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

I know people like trads but over 5 years ago a customer and also at our marina was on the trent, he had a heart attack and fell in by the time his mate realised he had drowned! If it had been a cruiser stern he would more than likely be alive today.  I see on this thread all sorts of ways to make the boat steerable, things that a cruiser stern doesn't need, the addition of a pram cover also makes an extra room cover to do engine work and keeps you warm on a freezing day. Yes a trad locks nice but for me it's not enough 

• Greenie 1