Lining tape

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Hi all.

I want to repaint my one inch wide cream coloured stripe that runs end to end of my boat and around the 'boxes'.

Any suggestions as to the best type of tape for masking this...and techniques ?

Thanks.

The green [ Frog] tape is better than orange [peel] tape,

Personally, I am considering buying a vinyl tape from funkymonkey.

Sanded smooth surfaces , degreased. ..... don't try to make anything happen quickly, don't contaminate or dilute the paint, use a 1 inch brush. Make sure tape is pressed hard with a roller or by thumb so paint does not creep. If you think it is not straight, do it again.

I use a dough scraper as a guide https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Pastry-Bench-Scraper-Dough-Cutter-Divider-Pizza-Cake-Cookies-UK/383575328112?hash=item594edf0570:g:jO0AAOSwbSFe2OEc

Practice first, allow two days , temp not extreme, wind calm/light.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Whatever making tape you use get it off asap even if that means your have to retape to give it a second coat. Even that low tack frog tape will bake on and the adhesive will harden if left on a hot cabin side in direct sunlight. It's a right pain in the arse when that happens.

The best tape I’ve found is Kleenedge. Toolstation sell it.  Not cheap but it doesn’t pull paint off and as the name suggests leaves a crisp edge. 

As above though don’t leave any tape on for longer than you need...I try to remove it when the paint is tacky. 

Lots of the painters I work alongside also use Kleenedge for coach lines. Like Gareth, I like to remove tape early, but it can also be left on for quite a while if necessary. Avoid ordinary masking tapes at all cost.....many allow bleeding under the edge and can be swines to remove if left. Many professionals use home made gauges to lay out lines. Essentially an offcut say 3” wide, about 6” or 7” long, with a batten at one end. Cut a v shaped notch at the desired distance from handrail or cabin top to the top of the coach line and mark off along the cabin side with a wax pencil or marker. Apply tape, checking constantly for wobbles.

The ordinary clean edge Frog tape does seem to allow a degree of edge bleed but I see them now market clean edge for gloss paint that shoudl be even better. A tip Phil posted years ago. If you do get bleed (I did every time) leave the tape on until the paint has dries (I agree no to try this if the sun is burning onto the cabin side) and when you pull it off the paint that had bled under the tape will still be soft so gently wipe it off with a soft rag and white spirit. On really stubborn spots I will admit to carefully using fast cellulosic thinners but that has dangers for your nice new paint so be very sparing and do not drip it onto paintwork.

Having mentioned gauges, it was a few moment’s work with scrap timber to make these, I hope the picture will clarify.

AD7B29A6-8A7E-4279-9A28-D00C4994DA01.jpeg

I forgot to add that I planed a small chamfer on the the batten piece to correspond with the tumblehome.

• Greenie 3

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Whatever making tape you use get it off asap even if that means your have to retape to give it a second coat. Even that low tack frog tape will bake on and the adhesive will harden if left on a hot cabin side in direct sunlight. It's a right pain in the arse when that happens.

You mean like this one....

20200628_104931.jpg

• Greenie 1

How long you can leave any making tape on for really depends on the conditions. If you're in a covered dock then it may be several days as some people have said. But don't try that with even the best quality tape if the sun is beating down on the painted steel. Once the adhesive heats up and hardens you'll never get it off in one piece.

• Greenie 1