Overnight in Stoke....

frangar

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Thanks. I was just bit wary of being a lone boat but sounds like that might not be the case....interesting they still put the boats in convoy....

Dont know what time you have but it seems if you are there at 9 they will bung you all through-of the 7 last time most went through early.

37 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Dont know what time you have but it seems if you are there at 9 they will bung you all through-of the 7 last time most went through early.

I perhaps should have made that clearer...more than happy to do the tunnel alone but wasn’t keen on being a sole boat at Westport...lone boats seem to attract more attention in urban areas I feel. 

I was given the choice of 9 or 11 and was told it was down to distancing...perhaps I just assumed it was one boat at time...if I’m last in the line the front skipper best not cough! 

Edited by frangar

Strange all of a sudden i'm getting a notice saying ''I'm only allowed to upload 2.93 mb's Monkey bites? from my Samsung camera. It's always worked before.

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I use one similar to this.

https://www.toolstation.com/zinc-rechargeable-work-light-ip65/p83731

83731-1.jpg

It's completely self contained and waterproof, and comes with both 12v and 240v charging cables.  If my main tunnel lamp ever blows in use I'll still be able to see!

They use a couple of those when assisting you through Standedge. 
They’re very good. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I perhaps should have made that clearer...more than happy to do the tunnel alone but wasn’t keen on being a sole boat at Westport...lone boats seem to attract more attention in urban areas I feel. 

I was given the choice of 9 or 11 and was told it was down to distancing...perhaps I just assumed it was one boat at time...if I’m last in the line the front skipper best not cough! 

I once moored overnight with Dmr at the tunnel entrance. 
In the morning a third boater turned up and asked the tunnel keeper if he could go first. He didn’t want to follow a boat with a traditional engine room kicking dirty exhaust fumes upwards (Dmr’s boat not mine)

Tunnel keeper was very polite when she told him he’d have to wait his turn and go last. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

In the morning a third boater turned up and asked the tunnel keeper if he could go first. He didn’t want to follow a boat with a traditional engine room kicking dirty exhaust fumes upwards (Dmr’s boat not mine)

Tunnel keeper was very polite when she told him he’d have to wait his turn and go last. 

As the owner of a Lovely JP2 this always amuses me....mind you the last time I followed a boat through I was in neutral for most of the trip as they were going sooooo slowly....it did give me time to fully appreciate the construction etc....I asked the tunnel keeper at the far end if it was still the same day as we went in on....I think it took about an hour....

Edited by frangar
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pearley said:

Could still see the steel being rolled in the 80s. Yes, a fantastic sight.

Shelton steelworks, I remember the heat from the rolling mills and the furnaces on my face, it was astonishing...

47 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Our exhaust is a little smokey but nothing dramatic. Its interesting that some boaters object to the smoke from a roof exhaust stack but somehow miss the more serious smoke coming from some conventional low down exhausts.  If you are following another boat through Harecastle (going North) then you are going to breathe in their exhaust no matter where it comes from.

It was a difficult tunnel passage, I had caught a rather nasty hangover from Goliath and so forgot to take the front chimney down. The very new CRT lady failed to notice till it was too late and got a good telling from the staff at the other end. I managed to get all the way through without the chimney touching the roof, even the low bit. I've been through several times since and just can't see how I managed to do it.

...............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Our exhaust is a little smokey but nothing dramatic. Its interesting that some boaters object to the smoke from a roof exhaust stack but somehow miss the more serious smoke coming from some conventional low down exhausts.  If you are following another boat through Harecastle (going North) then you are going to breathe in their exhaust no matter where it comes from.

It was a difficult tunnel passage, I had caught a rather nasty hangover from Goliath and so forgot to take the front chimney down. The very new CRT lady failed to notice till it was too late and got a good telling from the staff at the other end. I managed to get all the way through without the chimney touching the roof, even the low bit. I've been through several times since and just can't see how I managed to do it.

...............Dave

There was no noticeable smoke when following you. Big fans in there anyway. 

That must have been the Badgers Arse we drank. The barrel me mate bought up from Cornwall. 

I remember sitting drinking it later on, up on the Macc, while watching you get barbed wire (?) off your prop. 

I think it was. There was a long afternoon session in the Holy Inadequate then a lovely evening cruise up through Stoke to the tunnel. The sun was setting and the  decaying industry of Stoke looked just magical in the late sun. I did a quick weedhatch visit at the tunnel mouth then was sat outside for the rest of the evening drinking your BA.  There was another big weedhatch event on the PeakForest but I cant remember what it was.

..............Dave

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder what a mini had to do with things

First car to use them, I think, other than Hardy Spicer UJ's and spider joints in jam pots.

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yes, that’s the weedhatch visit I’m thinking of. 
Peak Forest not the Macc
I’m sure you had some wire around the prop. 
Me, Simon and Gilly sat supping cider while you went down the hatch. 

n

35 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

The Holy Inadequate is currently having work done. They are going for a soft opening some time after 17th July.

Its a good idea as long as you think you have a long term future, get the disruptive work done while the government pays the staff wages.

The Inadequate looks to have a steady flow of customers all the time it is open, rather than a big rush at any time, so could be quite viable even with a bit of social distancing. One of the top ten pubs on (or near) the canal, probably in the top five.

Why do boaters go right past and stop at Westport Lake????

.................Dave

17 hours ago, frangar said:

I think you are overthinking this. It's only an overnight stop, and as the pubs are closed you will presumably be on board all the time. The chances of any 'urban' attention are minimal. 

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think you are overthinking this. It's only an overnight stop, and as the pubs are closed you will presumably be on board all the time. The chances of any 'urban' attention are minimal. 

Maybe but there is a lot of bored kids around at the moment...it’s like the summer holidays...thankfully the weather has meant they have all gone back indoors! 

Arrive at about 4 pm.  Dig a ditch around the towpath near your boat (but don't connect to the canal as this might/will lower your water level).  Use the spoil to form a rampart nearer your boat.  Forage around for tree branches and use them to form sharpened stakes planted at the bottom of the ditch.  Construct guard towers every 100yds along the top of the ramparts and man them in shifts. This should keep your expedition safe from the natives.  Repeat each evening after a days travel.  This method is tried and tested.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Arrive at about 4 pm.  Dig a ditch around the towpath near your boat (but don't connect to the canal as this might/will lower your water level).  Use the spoil to form a rampart nearer your boat.  Forage around for tree branches and use them to form sharpened stakes planted at the bottom of the ditch.  Construct guard towers every 100yds along the top of the ramparts and man them in shifts. This should keep your expedition safe from the natives.  Repeat each evening after a days travel.  This method is tried and tested.

You’ve been thorough Leeds as well I see....

14 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Just don't let anyone build a statue admire your tactics - it might soon meet an ignominious end!