Overnight in Stoke....

frangar

Featured Posts

I’ve had to book a slot to get through Harecastle which means I’m going to need to stop on the stoke pound the night before....as I usually go from wedgewood straight through I’m just wondering where would be best to stop especially given that even the “honeypot” sites are deserted at present...I was thinking Westport but have heard mixed reports...any one have any thoughts..will I need to keep guard all night?? 

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We've moored at Westport Lake many times with no issues other than noisy geese.  I'd quite happily stay there a fortnight, so overnight should be fine.

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Westport lake is fine 

never had trouble there

However I usually moor at the tunnel end of I’m going through next day

again it’s safe

and you’re there for the  off in the morning

2 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Westport is fine, or Festival Park is ok.

Thats great....looks like westport it is then...I can make sure the engine is warm before the tunnel!

Thanks for the replies

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Westport lake is fine 

never had trouble there

However I usually moor at the tunnel end of I’m going through next day

again it’s safe

and you’re there for the  off in the morning

I have moored right up at the tunnel, at the lake and at the toby Carvery in the past

20 minutes ago, Stellar2lw said:

Another vote for Westport, never had any trouble there.

Cheers!!....I shall report back

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I have moored right up at the tunnel, at the lake and at the toby Carvery in the past

Ta!....I think they are only allowing one boat in the tunnel at a time from what the lady on the phone suggested...

There was a bit of trouble at Westport a year or so ago, but trouble can pop up anywhere.

If you are a drinking man then the VMs right in the middle of Stoke are usually ok and its just a short walk to the Holy Inadequate. Otherwise I would probably go right up to the tunnel and overnight there.

Oh, just remembered, the pubs are shut, so not much point in stopping in Stoke..

................Dave

Westport is definitely OK

We had a small group of teenagers come up to the boat asking the usual stuff but they were harmless and wandered off when I started talking about toilets and cooking on board.

13 hours ago, Stellar2lw said:

Another vote for Westport, never had any trouble there.

That would be our normal target if we are looking for an overnight in that area.

But there really is not a shortage of places north of the city. Above Stoke top, just after the Caldon junction has plenty of room (get your gas refill - though we have never needed it when passing here) or just up the Caldon before the staircase. 

On the wrong thread really but we don't have a photo that far back, but I still have vivid memories of coming through the Iron and Steel works back in late 1960's. At that time the works panned over the canal and you had a fantastic view of the hot metal working.

We normally moor at Westport Lake when travelling south and Etruria just on the Caldon when travelling north - it leaves the options open should there be any shortage of moorings.  Never had any problems at either.

14 hours ago, frangar said:

Cheers!!....I shall report back

Ta!....I think they are only allowing one boat in the tunnel at a time from what the lady on the phone suggested...

I went through last Wednesday heading North and I think 7 went through at about 9 ish .

Westport was pretty crowded and more or less full so stayed outside the tunnel.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

I went through last Wednesday heading North and I think 7 went through at about 9 ish .

Westport was pretty crowded and more or less full so stayed outside the tunnel.

Thanks. I was just bit wary of being a lone boat but sounds like that might not be the case....interesting they still put the boats in convoy....

We always moored down near the now-not-so-secret facilities at the beginning of the park. They're useful for the elsan drop. Showers never seemed to work but maybe they've been fixed now that CRT advertise the facilities! Absolutely fine - fair number of walkers and bicycles around but that was in B.L. days so I don't know now.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

That would be our normal target if we are looking for an overnight in that aare

On the wrong thread really but we don't have a photo that far back, but I still have vivid memories of coming through the Iron and Steel works back in late 1960's. At that time the works panned over the canal and you had a fantastic view of the hot metal working.

Could still see the steel being rolled in the 80s. Yes, a fantastic sight.

On the issue of the tunnel itself I concede I dislike Harecastle very much.

(Which means I would dislike Standedge a lot more I guess but not done it so far).

I don't count myself as particularly claustrophobic and am fine with all the others I have done but there is something about Harecastle I just find very dis orienteering. It's probably the oft changing roof height and profile and I've tried various combinations of cabin lights on off/tunnel light pointing up/straight ahead but never found it a comfortable easy trip.

I personally if going that way again would go the (very) long way around via. the Shroppy to avoid it, daft I know.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
more not less

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

On the issue of the tunnel itself I concede I dislike Harecastle very much.

(Which means I would dislike Standedge a lot less I guess but not done it so far).

I don't count myself as particularly claustrophobic and am fine with all the others I have done but there is something about Harecastle I just find very dis orienteering. It's probably the oft changing roof height and profile and I've tried various combinations of cabin lights on off/tunnel light pointing up/straight ahead but never found it a comfortable easy trip.

I personally if going that way again would go the (very) long way around via. the Shroppy to avoid it, daft I know.

Put a light on the cabin at the back of the boat pointing forward.  You can then easily see any changes in roof profile, and you can look at interesting features in tunnels too.

Some people don't like having a light near the steerer, but I much prefer it.

• Greenie 1