hi all just got a boat bit of a project

wildbill

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Hi all just got a new to me boat need a lot of work but i think i will have it  ship shape in no time should get sum use out of it this year 

excuse my spieling and gamer the scourge of dyslexia 

bill 

Send pics of your project.

:)

Don't worry about spelling.

37 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Hi all just got a new to me boat need a lot of work but i think i will have it  ship shape in no time should get sum use out of it this year 

excuse my spieling and gamer the scourge of dyslexia 

bill 

Welcome Bill

No need to worry aboot bid Spooling her, I'm currnlty laughing my way through Officer Crabtrees Fronch Phrose Berk whic wouldn't work withoot the bad speeling and grandmar.

42 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Welcome Bill

No need to worry aboot bid Spooling her, I'm currnlty laughing my way through Officer Crabtrees Fronch Phrose Berk whic wouldn't work withoot the bad speeling and grandmar.

But some bright bugger will pick him up on it, especially if they are losing the discussion (did you like that last word?)

Just to answer your question all at once its 25 ft Buckingham 25 it's actually a floating skip  at  the moment with a lot of very badly done bodging on it but it is what it is I don't have any picks of it yet and would struggle to get them on her not that good with computers things

the good things

1 the good things it has working lights a

2 cooker sink 

3 a toilet porta potty :(

4 a radio that work so i can listen to radio 2

5 it has a fairly dry bilge only water is rain water 

bad things

a lot of the internal  wood is rotten 

2 theirs a rather badly made units it had a

3 wood burner it bean riped out and the aria is a mess it will have a diesel heater fitted  

4 the toilet what can i say it has to go and rebuild or re working at least

the name isis it has to go 

ok prioritys  

1 sort out the beds in the bow sharp end and line with plywood :rofl: two days work

2 side windows in wheel house 

3 sort out the wheel house it not built very well but will have to live with it tunge and grove boarding  stane and varnish for day's work

4 find a ships well

5 Morse control for outboard mercury 9.8 two stroke 

6 fit out the galley with  doors  and drawers

7 make setting eating aria where the wood burner was 

8 make soft furnishing for all seating beads 

and all this in about 4 weeks starting from next Saturday  on a very low budget most stuff will be sourced from skip finds and salvaged second hand begged borrowed or acquired adapted or modified 

i will use treated hard wood where i can and treat all wood i get i will treat

So any one who knows of somewhere i can get boat parts from pleas let me know

I got a outboard for it today Mercury 9.8 two stroke long shaft if any one is passing Bodmin  and want's to drop it off in goole let me know:rofl:

any way board you enough   

• Greenie 1

Well, that's one project you've got on your hands. Congratulations. I saw it online and had in my eBay watch list out of interest but in Goole was too far away for it to be viable for me at present.

Think you have the basis of a good boat there and made a sound buy. I had a 20' Buckingham briefly and regret getting rid of it, and a member on here turned a 20' complete project into a brand new boat. You may have your work cut out but the 25' is a well regarded boat, so certainly worth putting in the effort. It's in the water, you've got an engine, bin bags and elbow grease, and from next weekend can camp out on it while you get on with a list of jobs that you can guarantee will only get longer.

Have fun and fire away with any questions you may have. 

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, wildbill said:

Just to answer your question all at once its 25 ft Buckingham 25 it's actually a floating skip  at  the moment with a lot of very badly done bodging on it but it is what it is I don't have any picks of it yet and would struggle to get them on her not that good with computers things

the good things

1 the good things it has working lights a

2 cooker sink 

3 a toilet porta potty :(

4 a radio that work so i can listen to radio 2

5 it has a fairly dry bilge only water is rain water 

bad things

a lot of the internal  wood is rotten 

2 theirs a rather badly made units it had a

3 wood burner it bean riped out and the aria is a mess it will have a diesel heater fitted  

4 the toilet what can i say it has to go and rebuild or re working at least

the name isis it has to go 

ok prioritys  

1 sort out the beds in the bow sharp end and line with plywood :rofl: two days work

2 side windows in wheel house 

3 sort out the wheel house it not built very well but will have to live with it tunge and grove boarding  stane and varnish for day's work

4 find a ships well

5 Morse control for outboard mercury 9.8 two stroke 

6 fit out the galley with  doors  and drawers

7 make setting eating aria where the wood burner was 

8 make soft furnishing for all seating beads 

and all this in about 4 weeks starting from next Saturday  on a very low budget most stuff will be sourced from skip finds and salvaged second hand begged borrowed or acquired adapted or modified 

i will use treated hard wood where i can and treat all wood i get i will treat

So any one who knows of somewhere i can get boat parts from pleas let me know

I got a outboard for it today Mercury 9.8 two stroke long shaft if any one is passing Bodmin  and want's to drop it off in goole let me know:rofl:

any way board you enough   

Insulation?

2 hours ago, wildbill said:

OK question my boat will have a petrol outboard getting petrol on the road is not a problem but how would i do it on a holiday on the canals and rivers 

bill  

There are no petrol stations on the canals - take your boots and a couple of jerry cans with you, you will find a petrol station (normally) between 1/2 mile and 5 miles away from the canals.

This combined with the additional BSS requirements for petrol is the reason that equivalent boats with diesel engines will be at least £5000 more.

Google will help you find petrol stations so you can plan to get to the nearest ones.

Remember that you cannot legally carry more than 30 litres of petrol on the boat.

Late edit to correct £500 to £5000

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are no petrol stations on the canals - take your boots and a couple of jerry cans with you, you will find a petrol station (normally) between 1/2 mile and 5 miles away from the canals.

This combined with the additional BSS requirements for petrol is the reason that equivalent boats with diesel engines will be at least £500 more.

Google will help you find petrol stations so you can plan to get to the nearest ones.

Remember that you cannot legally carry more than 30 litres of petrol on the boat.

I think you mean is containers for refilling the boat's tank. Otherwise I don't see how the twin screw petrol gas guzzling plastic jobs on the river can cope. 30 litres maybe  an hour's running.

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think you mean is containers for refilling the boat's tank. Otherwise I don't see how the twin screw petrol gas guzzling plastic jobs on the river can cope. 30 litres maybe  an hour's running.

Fixed (built in) fuel tanks are not counted. So, for an outboard p0owered boat with the normal 'loose' tank the maximum amount of fuel allowed on the boat is 30 litres.

I had a 250 litre petrol tank on my offshore Outboard powered fishing boat (SWMBO held the Anglesey record for Thornback-Ray)  but as the tank was built in under the floor it is excluded from the legislation

From the Governments H&S Website :

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol at home or at non-workplace premises without  informing your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).

You can store it in:

suitable portable metal or plastic containers

one demountable fuel tank

a combination of the above as long as no more than 30 litres is kept

For these purposes 'premises' are as defined in the Health and Safety Work Act, etc. 1974 and includes, for example, motor vehicles, boats and aircraft.

What containers can I use to store petrol?

The legislation allows you to store petrol in the following containers:

plastic containers storing up to 10 litres

metal containers storing up to 20 litres

demountable fuel tank up to 30 litres

Suitable portable containers are defined in Schedule 2 (para 6) and Schedule 3 of the regulations. UN approved containers are an example of such containers.

More detailed information on portable petrol storage containers (PDF) - Portable Document Format is available.

Does the petrol in the fuel tank of my car count towards the total I can store?

No – the petrol in the fuel tank of your vehicle, including boats and aircraft, does not count when you are calculating the total amount you are storing.

How much petrol can I store on a vehicle?

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of 2 suitable containers in your vehicle.  For the purpose of these Regulations a ‘vehicle’ is interpreted as any type of vehicle so includes boats, aircraft and hovercraft. This type of storage counts towards the total you can store at non workplace premises. Carriage of petrol is covered by the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (CDG) and the European agreement (ADR).

I also had a Bayliner Ski boat at the same time which had a 79 litre underfloor built in tank

We had to be aware of the petrol laws when going to 'fill up' and the garage would switch the pump off as the 'litres' started to increase.

Sea Horse 6001.jpg

Sea Horse 1001.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This combined with the additional BSS requirements for petrol is the reason that equivalent boats with diesel engines will be at least £500 more.

thank you i thing 30 later will get us a fare distance calculations at full throtill abut a gallon a hr  so five galons at seven knots or slower will give me more hrs 

bill

2 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Image may contain: table and indoorImage may contain: people sitting and indoorImage may contain: sky, boat, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

sum photos of the old girl 

she looks a bit sad now but watch this space 

bill

Looks like a good foundation to build on.

Where are you planning to use her ?

Its quite intimidating in the Humber with all those big boats tootling up and down the river.

We looked at putting one of our boats into Grimsby but she was too big to be lifted out using the Hoists in Grimsby so we ended up mooring in Hull for a year, they couldn't lift her there so when she needed her bottom cleaning we went down to Plymouth