Northampton Arm - Actual width

Ouse on Board?

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

The other question is how did it get to the Nene in the first place?

...as Phoenix mentioned yesterday, and it's a very good point; though locks do shift over time, so if the boat has been on the Ouse for many years, some widths may have changed slightly.

5 minutes ago, Ouse on Board? said:

Road

Statement or surmise?

Just now, Ouse on Board? said:

Statement. Sorry quick reply at work. Yes I believe it came by road back in the late 90's

O.K., thanks for that information.

I hope you don't have to take it back the same way!

Just now, Athy said:

O.K., thanks for that information.

I hope you don't have to take it back the same way!

No, it doesn't need to go onto the GU. It was more an option to open up the routes available rather than staying on the Ouse/Cam, Nene and ML. There is always the Wash to Boston but at the moment I don't quite fancy that. Maybe when this new link is finished...

2 minutes ago, Ouse on Board? said:

No, it doesn't need to go onto the GU. It was more an option to open up the routes available rather than staying on the Ouse/Cam, Nene and ML. There is always the Wash to Boston but at the moment I don't quite fancy that. Maybe when this new link is finished...

I was going to suggest the Wash, great fun if there is little or no wind...

If you need help on the day you can  pm me. We are only 25 mins by bike from gayton junction, though I haven’t been down the nene since 84.
we are very experienced at getting old boats  stuck In  sorry through tight locks.

You have the benefit of going Uphill. That is less stressful because once in chamber you are less likely to get stuck. Going downhill is the stressful bit, as wedging  as a lock tapers can be interesting.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

You have the benefit of going Uphill. That is less stressful because once in chamber you are less likely to get stuck. Going downhill is the stressful bit, as wedging  as a lock tapers can be interesting.

And that is a very good point, these super accurate measurements given earlier, were that at the water line of an empty lock or at cill level or even water level of a full lock? 

38 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

these super accurate measurements

They are not super accurate, they are reasonably certain you can go through at those dimensions and will assist if they are wrong but generally they err very much on the side of caution for obvious reasons.

The fact we now know that it was delivered by road suggests that there may have been an issue but I still think if it is an old GUCC boat it will go unless it has spread really badly, there was a regular grain traffic on the Nene from the GU using those boats in the 70s.

Really it is worth trying.

It was delivered by road because it wasn't ready for the water and moved to be completed. I'm not sure if it was a GUCC boat but may have been. I shall have to do some more digging into its history but i suspect there isn't much to find as I don't have any of its old numbers or names etc

11 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

They are not super accurate, they are reasonably certain you can go through at those dimensions and will assist if they are wrong but generally they err very much on the side of caution for obvious reasons.

The fact we now know that it was delivered by road suggests that there may have been an issue but I still think if it is an old GUCC boat it will go unless it has spread really badly, there was a regular grain traffic on the Nene from the GU using those boats in the 70s.

Really it is worth trying.

I fully agree, lets just hope its not the top lock that is too narrow ?

1 hour ago, Ouse on Board? said:

. I'm not sure if it was a GUCC boat but may have been.

Be careful old BCN boats were often 7'6"!

Have you measured the width?

I do suggest you ask the HNBC  they have a webite and facebook page.

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We went down Watford flight during the Beast from the East two years ago which was interesting because of this. You enter a lock surrounded by floating broken ice and by the time you get to the bottom you're well wedged in. We had to be flushed out of each lock.

MP.

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

We went down Watford flight during the Beast from the East two years ago which was interesting because of this. You enter a lock surrounded by floating broken ice and by the time you get to the bottom you're well wedged in. We had to be flushed out of each lock.

MP.

At least you were flushed with success ?

Hi All,

Sorry for the stupid question, but ive read a few posts on here about boating around the great ouse and St Ives & i wondered (i am total newby) can you get a say 55" narrow boat to St Ives or Huntingdon back on to the main canal network?

Ive loked at the CRT map and i am a littl eunsure?

many thanks,

The only link to the main network from the Great Ouse is via Denver, onto the Middle Levels, onto the Nene and then down to Northampton and onto the GU. The other way goes as far as Bedford then becomes unavigable for large craft.

Edited by Ouse on Board?