Article - Canals open July 4th for holiday makers

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:
noun
INFORMAL

1. a holiday spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.

It would appear it means both staying at home and in your own country.

But neither mean being locked down at home. As you could not holiday or visit local attractions.

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

.......... popularised by the middle classes who previously wouldn't have entertained the idea of a holiday which didn't involve a plane............

Not sure about that - more like the working classes 

Holidays in the UK are not exactly cheap. 

Not sure how this will go.

People may  be rushing to get on aircraft from 4th July.   Will that mean many  of the beach crowding idiots  and football supporting party animals will be abroad and not holidaying at home after all ?

Flights should have been stopped earlier than they were since passenger air travel was obviously a sure fire way of transmitting virus around the world. The rest of the world, being generally more sensible than the British , may see sense here and stay at home .  I imagine there will be much reduced  numbers of foreign tourists coming to the UK .

So taking everything into account will the UK inland waterways and summer holiday destinations  be busy in July/August or quiet ? 

I'm trying to work out how people going abroad are going to be able get travel insurance.

The official advice is still that the FO advise against all but essential travel. Normally when this happens your policy would become void if you choose to ignore it. Unless they plan to revise the advice before next week, but if you are booking now??

I still say the UK will experience a bit of a bumper summer/autumn this year, which will hopefully offset some of the negative impacts of the last few months.

22 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'm trying to work out how people going abroad are going to be able get travel insurance.

The official advice is still that the FO advise against all but essential travel. Normally when this happens your policy would become void if you choose to ignore it. Unless they plan to revise the advice before next week, but if you are booking now??

Dont you think that will change very shortly along with the 14 day quarantine when returning

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Dont you think that will change very shortly along with the 14 day quarantine when returning

One would hope so which is why I suggested there would be provision for that in my post.

Interesting one though for people actually booking now whilst the advisory is in place. The advice always is to take out insurance at the time of booking. So what would happen if you book take out a policy and then the advice is put back in place when there is a surge of Covid 19 in your chosen destination. Is your holiday covered? I would suggest it very well might not be.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

21 hours ago, Athy said:

It more accurately describes what many of us have being doing for the last three months (gosh, has it really been as long as that?) This new use is most misleading - after all, it's not as if most British people go to foreign countries for their holidays.

I _think_ the 'word' is American in origin; though why that should be so is beyond my ken: most Americans never leave their shores. Perhaps stay at home and visit local attractions was the original meaning which has since mutated to mean holiday in your own country.

I make no comment on the assertion that most Brits don't go abroad for a holiday.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

.  I imagine there will be much reduced  numbers of foreign tourists coming to the UK .

With Uk having the highest number of deaths in Europe yesterday 30.76%  (184 dead) if I were they I would be staying away.   Russia with 29.43% (176 deaths) is next.  

The highest death rate in the rest of Europe was Sweden with 50 dead

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

So taking everything into account will the UK inland waterways and summer holiday destinations  be busy in July/August or quiet ? 

Busy.

I can't see those who think only a fortnight in the sun counts as a holiday being the same people who would want to hire a boat though.

I suspect a lot more of the boats that don't usually leave marinas might be tempted to be more adventurous this year.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Busy.

I can't see those who think only a fortnight in the sun counts as a holiday being the same people who would want to hire a boat though.

I suspect a lot more of the boats that don't usually leave marinas might be tempted to be more adventurous this year.

A fortnight in the rain might be an exciting new experience for them. "Oooh, look 'ow rusty 'e is!"

We shall be interested to see what happens at Cropredy in early August. There's no festival this year, but will the boats of the faithful turn up anyway as a kind of pilgrimage? We always look forward to meeting the crews of Purple Haze, Pratty Flower and others each year.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

We shall be interested to see what happens at Cropredy in early August. There's no festival this year, but will the boats of the faithful turn up anyway as a kind of pilgrimage? We always look forward to meeting the crews of Purple Haze, Pratty Flower and others each year.

I suspect the diehard regular fedtival goers will pitch a tent in their garden, drink a lot and play Fairport Convention CD's at high volume. ?

1 minute ago, Cheshire cat said:

We have been contacted by our holiday insurance company to let us know we are covered for Covid-19. I didn't even ask the question.

They are just discussing this on BBC 24 Hour News "Your Questions Answered"

You will not be covered with any travel insurance or car insurance to any country that the foreign office has said not to travel to.

If they lift their restrictions to certain countries then your cover will be valid.

If for example they lift the travel ban to Spain, but not Portugal and you went to Spain but then hired a car and drove to Portugal  your insurance would be invalidated.

You may well be personally covered for medical problems related to C19 (ie if you catch it) you will be covered, but if anything happens (ie Hotel is shut down, or the UK changes the travel advice) then you would not be covered, and may not have ABTA cover.

The UK could allow travel to say Hong Kong, but Hong Kong are not guaranteed to let you in and may turn you away, if, for example there has been an increase in UK cases.

22 hours ago, Goliath said:

According to the radio reports the toilets were open but people were not willing to queue so some chose to defecate on the grass by the beach huts. 

Worse than that they had found people had been having a dump in burger cartons and leaving it on the beach.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

A fortnight in the rain might be an exciting new experience for them. "Oooh, look 'ow rusty 'e is!"

Our first ever was a week in the rain, well it was fine one day, but I was visiting my daughter in Worcester that day

53 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

We have been contacted by our holiday insurance company to let us know we are covered for Covid-19. I didn't even ask the question.

I assume you took the policy out before the virus struck?