Public moorings whittlesea

MartinV

Featured Posts

Hello

Does anyone know if there is still a public mooring available in Wittlesea on the Middle Level Navigation? Alternatively does anyone know of a mooring before Standground lock - only 24 hours required.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Martin,

I've found this link from a quick google but really appreciate you getting back to me. I was more wondering whether it was open at the moment with the current situation.

Many thanks

Martin

Many thanks... good timing - I've just had a call back from the lock keeper at Standground and they've been able to confirm that it is available. Many thanks for replying -it's really great of you to take the time to!

Cheers

Martin

Depending on where you're starting from, there are public moorings at Nordelph, Outwell Basin, Upwell (staithe by the church, landing stage half a mile further along on the right) and March - this one is within easy reach of all shops and also of the Middle Level's only public sanny station. 

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

Depending on where you're starting from, there are public moorings at Nordelph, Outwell Basin, Upwell (staithe by the church, landing stage half a mile further along on the right) and March - this one is within easy reach of all shops and also of the Middle Level's only public sanny station. 

Hi - thanks for the info - all really useful. Cheers. Martin

10 minutes ago, Martin44 said:

It will take you through Upwell if you follow the recommended navigation link, but of course there many other drains which will eventually bring you to Stanground lock

It depends where he's starting from - somewhere on he Great Ouse? His stated location "all over" doesn't give us a clue.

Edited by Athy

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They dont taste very nice and the crust is hard

You're probably remembering the same joke about the drunk, the fairground and meat pies as I am.

Martin, this is how threads on CWDF wander off topic. Sometimes they come home, other times they don't. But I think you've got quite a bit of information. There were overnight moorings at Flood's Ferry (mainly a caravan park) but they weren't public and I'm not sure if they still have them - I heard that the owners went a bit funny a few years back.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

You're probably remembering the same joke about the drunk, the fairground and meat pies as I am.

Martin, this is how threads on CWDF wander off topic. Sometimes they come home, other times they don't. But I think you've got quite a bit of information. There were overnight moorings at Flood's Ferry (mainly a caravan park) but they weren't public and I'm not sure if they still have them - I heard that the owners went a bit funny a few years back.

They closed the overnight moorings at Floods Ferry while I was there.

2 hours ago, Martin44 said:

It will take you through Upwell if you follow the recommended navigation link, but of course there many other drains which will eventually bring you to Stanground lock

Only one (possibly bar the stub end of the Old Nene) actually connects you to Stanground. Also, what other through route did you have in mind? We've done most of the ML but I thought that all the interesting bywaters do not actually get you to Salters Lode any more. Or did we miss one?

There's room for about two and a half narrowboats on the moorings at Whittlesea. First photo is of me there last year - hanging off one end,

If you fancy a more rural mooring, then I often stop just south of Angle Corner, on Beavill's Leam, wide and deep and almost no traffic. Second photo. About an hour before you get to Ashline lock. 

I am going to try exploring to (but not through) Horseway Lock for my summer holidays this year, I don't expect to meet anyone.

dsc_1933.jpg

dsc_4726.jpg

6 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

There's room for about two and a half narrowboats on the moorings at Whittlesea. First photo is of me there last year - hanging off one end,

I am going to try exploring to (but not through) Horseway Lock for my summer holidays this year, I don't expect to meet anyone.

Us at the Horseway Lock 2012     

http://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2012/02/horseway-lock-28-feb-2012.html

[22%255B2%255D.jpg]

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Us at the Horseway Lock 2012     

http://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2012/02/horseway-lock-28-feb-2012.html

Thank you. 35 minutes to reverse a mile and a bit is not bad. I think I will probably reverse in, but maybe I will find someone else to do a pushme-pullyou.  And all subject to weed of course. 

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thank you. 35 minutes to reverse a mile and a bit is not bad. I think I will probably reverse in, but maybe I will find someone else to do a pushme-pullyou.  And all subject to weed of course. 

Luck was with us and it had just been cleared all the way to the lock