Tyrley Locks - how do you pronounce Tyrley?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Written as a characterisation of the voices that related the stories on which it is based. I have no doubt it’s essentially authentic but it isn’t a study of how all boat people spoke.

Surely your mum would spell it correctly if writing it, do you mean she’d spell her own pronunciation of it phonetically in that way?

Did you check out the title while you were there? ?

Yes, the spelling of her pronunciation ? of course

whoops, yes ?the title ?

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

My ancestry is dominated by north Warwickshire coal mining on the paternal side (Hawkesbury, Exhall, Bulkington, Nuneaton) and Midlands boatpeople on the maternal side...

I’m from London and we have relatives in Leicestershire. I lived in Brum for several years and when I first came to Nuneaton I could clearly place the accent as a halfway house between Brumnagem and Leicester. It used to make me smile that it was never quite one or the other. 

18 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The Worcestershire accent is basically Brummie but with a slight west country burr.  That burr becomes more obvious as you head into Gloucestershire.  In Herefordshire the Brummieness is almost completely absent, replaced with a slight Welshness.  Shropshire is an odd one.  Most of Telford sound like a softened down version of Wolverhampton.  South Shropshire is similar to Herefordshire.  North Shropshire adds in a bit of scouse just do make it more confusing, especially around Whitchurch, Wem and the meres.

Yeah, that kind of regional slurring between one accent and the next is exactly what I find interesting. Once you start being called “Me Dook” you know you’re in Nottingham/Derby territory. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I’m from London and we have relatives in Leicestershire. I lived in Brum for several years and when I first came to Nuneaton I could clearly place the accent as a halfway house between Brumnagem and Leicester. It used to make me smile that it was never quite one or the other. 

It’s definitely got a Brummie twang that people from Coventry generally don’t have. I’ve worked all over the country and have been met many times with the statement that “You don’t sound like you’re from Coventry” by folks who just assume that I should have a Birmingham accent. I was delighted a few years ago when after addressing a group of people I didn’t know a lady came up to me afterwards and said “you’re from Coventry aren’t you?”. That would have been 20 years after I last lived there. I think the issue here is that it’s human nature to assign labels to groups when in reality everyone within that group is subtly different and the boundaries between groups are blurred. That, and the fact that accent is not the same thing as pronunciation, albeit they are clearly linked.

JP

12 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think the notion of a true accent is flawed and far too simplistic.

Surely the nature of speech varies over time in any location and that’s a prime factor in why accents vary with geography. It’s the lack of the development on the high grounds of the Midlands furthest away from invaders that gives the Black Country it’s distinctive accent that is the closest thing to an ancient British language you will find in England today. Everywhere around it has been subject to greater influence and change. That process is and always was ongoing.

I doubt any accent can be defined by anything more than a series of characteristics that are present to a greater or lesser degree in the speech of the population of the area concerned. My ancestry is dominated by north Warwickshire coal mining on the paternal side (Hawkesbury, Exhall, Bulkington, Nuneaton) and Midlands boatpeople on the maternal side yet I do not naturally say “Bedderth” and I don’t recall that was in any way unusual where I grew up or ever caused anyone to correct me.

I think there’s a degree of affectation in the notion there is an authentic way to pronounce place names and certain pieces of boating equipment.

JP

The one that always amuses is me is a person of a certain manner that insists on how we should pronounce 'wind'. Shakespeare seems to think that the stuff that blows has a long i. But, of course, there is no direct evidence of how it was pronounced when boaters first used the technique and winding holes were built. Personally, I have never found the blowy stuff very reliable . . . but then I never listen when something insist on telling me which was to go, whether I want/need to or not.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, that kind of regional slurring between one accent and the next is exactly what I find interesting. Once you start being called “Me Dook” you know you’re in Nottingham/Derby territory. 

If blindfolded and then dropped off somewhere in England at random, I could reasonably well work out where I was by:

a. What they call an alleyway between houses, and

b. What's on the menu at the nearest fish & chip shop.

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Northants and Leistershire folk tend to talk in a rather boring monotone.  Nigel Mansell,  Mark Selby the snookerist for example.

Mansell is from Birmingham, but yes there is a lack of intonation in both accents that can make them sound disinterested. I think it’s part of the endearing character of Midlands folk, they’re generally not precious or prone to carrying chips on their shoulders.

JP

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Mansell is from Birmingham, but yes there is a lack of intonation in both accents that can make them sound disinterested. I think it’s part of the endearing character of Midlands folk, they’re generally not precious or prone to carrying chips on their shoulders.

JP

I thought he was from Northampton. Anyway the folk in that wide band across the midlands from Birminghamish towards the east including Stoke-on-Trent  are generally nice and friendly and usually genuine.

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I thought he was from Northampton. Anyway the folk in that wide band across the midlands from Birminghamish towards the east including Stoke-on-Trent  are generally nice and friendly and usually genuine.

Turns out he was born in Upton-on-Severn in Worcestershire but grew up in Hall Green, Birmingham.

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Turns out he was born in Upton-on-Severn in Worcestershire but grew up in Hall Green, Birmingham.

You surprise me, perhaps he's lived in Northants a long time, Silverstone being there.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If blindfolded and then dropped off somewhere in England at random, I could reasonably well work out where I was by:

The former would have been "guinell" (spelling uncertain but starting the pronunciation as "guinea (a pound and a shilling)"

I moved to Milton Keynes 35 years ago - it took me a long time to recognise the ancient shopping village of toe-ces-ter (towcester) as being what the locals call toaster.

10 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

The former would have been "guinell" (spelling uncertain but starting the pronunciation as "guinea (a pound and a shilling)"

I moved to Milton Keynes 35 years ago - it took me a long time to recognise the ancient shopping village of toe-ces-ter (towcester) as being what the locals call toaster.

Then I guess you're from Yorkshire, but I'd need to see a Fish & Chip menu (bits or scraps for example).

Then there's snicket, twitten, twitchell, jitty, ten-foot etc...

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

It’s definitely got a Brummie twang that people from Coventry generally don’t have. I’ve worked all over the country and have been met many times with the statement that “You don’t sound like you’re from Coventry” by folks who just assume that I should have a Birmingham accent. I was delighted a few years ago when after addressing a group of people I didn’t know a lady came up to me afterwards and said “you’re from Coventry aren’t you?”. That would have been 20 years after I last lived there. I think the issue here is that it’s human nature to assign labels to groups when in reality everyone within that group is subtly different and the boundaries between groups are blurred. That, and the fact that accent is not the same thing as pronunciation, albeit they are clearly linked.

JP

Born and bred in Ellesmere Port  I moved down south at 19 and immediately became the Scouser, how ever many times I explained I wasn't, obviously my accent softened and when visiting back home I had "gone all posh"

BSP still thinks I sound Scouse even though I haven't lived there for 30 odd yrs

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Born and bred in Ellesmere Port  I moved down south at 19 and immediately became the Scouser, how ever many times I explained I wasn't, obviously my accent softened and when visiting back home I had "gone all posh"

BSP still thinks I sound Scouse even though I haven't lived there for 30 odd yrs

I have a friend from just outside Llanelli who hasn’t lost a bit of his accent in 35 years of living in Derbyshire. It can’t be a true accent though because it’s the wrong language. How does that work I wonder?

JP

Wiers me shiert, wiers me shiert, can't find me shiert anywier. It's tweny five past five and I've got to go to werk and I can't find me shiert, Wiers me shiert!!!!!

Edited by bizzard

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

How would you see the menu with a blindfold on? :giggles:

Round ye we have Bartons: e.g Shepherds Barton, and Grounds: e.g Goulds Ground, being rather narrow routes to front doors 

Some houses are served by what would pass as back alleys in other places, but these streets don't have their own name, the houses are numbered from the road they lead off.  

16 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

How would you see the menu with a blindfold on? :giggles:

Round ye we have Bartons: e.g Shepherds Barton, and Grounds: e.g Goulds Ground, being rather narrow routes to front doors 

Some houses are served by what would pass as back alleys in other places, but these streets don't have their own name, the houses are numbered from the road they lead off.  

Don't you mean Sheppard's Barton?  (spelling AND punctuation!)

26 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Wiers me shiert, wiers me shiert, can't find me shiert anywier. It's tweny five past five and I've got to go to werk and I can't find me shiert, Wiers me shiert!!!!!

"Dancing in the disco, bumper to bumper
Wait a minute:
Where's me jumper?"

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Don't you mean Sheppard's Barton?  (spelling AND punctuation!)

Probably, as I live here I don't check the spelling - I think they are often surnames rather than professions 

edited to add - what about my local chips shop? Back in the ancestral home they sell meat and potato pies and if you're really lucky butter pies may be had

Edited by magpie patrick

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

That, and the fact that accent is not the same thing as pronunciation, albeit they are clearly linked.

My mum was quite insistent on correcting me that it was wrong to call the differences ‘accents’ as that should be reserved for foreigners. Different parts of England have different ‘brogues’ she told me. Maybe @Athy can confirm if she was right or wrong?  Certainly these days the phrase ‘regional accent’ is often used. 

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

Northants and Leistershire folk tend to talk in a rather boring monotone.  Nigel Mansell,  Mark Selby the snookerist for example.

If you want a boring monotone how about Gary Barlow?

48 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Probably, as I live here I don't check the spelling - I think they are often surnames rather than professions 

edited to add - what about my local chips shop? Back in the ancestral home they sell meat and potato pies and if you're really lucky butter pies may be had

I worked with a chap from butter pie country, have to admit I thought he was taking the micky a touch, a pie containing potato and butter, seems he wasn't when I found one in a local cheshire bakery, he was chuffed when I brought one back to the office for him :)

Filling that's for sure, not sure I would bother again

6 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Same with me. Born in Ormskirk, Lancashire, and moved to Surrey aged 8.

Couldn't understand the teachers or class mates and they couldn't understand me.

Accent changed (but my mothers hadn't, so perhaps the accent becomes fixed after a certain age?), and got accused of being posh when I went back up north. Even now after a few days up north I start to prounounce the "oo" in words like book and cook rsther thsn my usual "uh".

Lived in Surrey for 52 years and then moved to Staffordshire,  so perhaps I will end up with a neutral accent? ? 

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

I think that was more Knotty Ash than Ellesmere Port ?

• Greenie 1