Tyrley Locks - how do you pronounce Tyrley?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’m intrigued having lived there for 22 years. What characteristics do you believe that entails?

I don't know if I could describe it without an audio clip. It's rather like being a cross between Mark Williams (as he is naturally, not his stage voice), Jasper Carrot, and Lenny Henry. Where Wolverhampton meets Black Country and Dudley for a day out to Worcester.

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

My dad came from Nuneaton and my mom’s from Bedworth. 
And me Grandad worked down Newdicote (?) Pit.

I still got an Aunty living on Grant Road. 

I gave me mom a copy of Rambling Rose, she likes it because they say ‘oss. 
Can’t remember how Bedworth is spelt in the book, but I’m sure it’s neither Beduff or Beduth, could be Bed’eth? dunno. 

Newdigate, probably more often pronounced something like Nu-dih-gut in a compressed way.

I think boat people did generally drop the ‘w’ in Bedworth and mostly being a hybrid of midlands accents were naturally hard on vowels so Beduth would be natural. My granny may have said it like that although I can’t be sure. I read that book in her voice. She definitely said ‘oss’ but she’d never have written it like that, she wasn’t illiterate. The notion that there is a single ‘correct’ boatpeoples way of saying any place name is probably complete fallacy.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Newdigate, probably more often pronounced something like Nu-dih-gut in a compressed way.

I think boat people did generally drop the ‘w’ in Bedworth and mostly being a hybrid of midlands accents were naturally hard on vowels so Beduth would be natural. My granny may have said it like that although I can’t be sure. I read that book in her voice. She definitely said ‘oss’ but she’d never have written it like that, she wasn’t illiterate. The notion that there is a single ‘correct’ boatpeoples way of saying any place name is probably complete fallacy.

JP

Newdigate, yes. 
I’d forgotten. 

I don’t think there is a single way,

which makes it all the more interesting. 

I come from a town called Coleshill, on a hill above the river Cole, simple. 
We drop the l-e-s-h-i and replace it with a Z. 

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Newdigate, yes. 
I’d forgotten. 

I don’t think there is a single way,

which makes it all the more interesting. 

I come from a town called Coleshill, on a hill above the river Cole, simple. 
We drop the l-e-s-h-i and replace it with a Z. 

Same as Foleshill in Coventry near where I grew up, but a more correct pronunciation would not be looked upon as wrong, it would though probably mark you down as either a non-local or a local Mrs Bucket.

JP

37 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I don't know if I could describe it without an audio clip. It's rather like being a cross between Mark Williams (as he is naturally, not his stage voice), Jasper Carrot, and Lenny Henry. Where Wolverhampton meets Black Country and Dudley for a day out to Worcester.

I think that’s reflective of the fact that over 50% of Droitwich’s modern day population are Birmingham and Black Country exiles.

12 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

back in the late 60's in Loughborough, I walked daily past a piece of graffiti which included this name

Whereabout was this? I was born in Loughborough and left in the mid 70s.

12 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Or as a visiting Australian might pronounce it, Looga-Burooga.

We natives pronounce it Luffbra

11 hours ago, Goliath said:

I try and make an effort to say towns as they’re said locally. 

But one I have difficulty with is Bath. 
I will always say that as Baff. 
I can’t bring myself to say Bath. 

The difference isn't as pronounced as some non-Sulisians think, it's very subtle - someone who pronounces it barth is very obviously a snobby outsider trying to pretend, the hard a as how a northerner pronounces bathroom is much more acceptable

On 28/06/2020 at 09:19, Heartland said:

How do you pronounce

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

?

With Difficulty!

One the other way round, where's Barlick?

On 27/06/2020 at 07:10, cheshire~rose said:

Speaking of Wheaton Aston:

We took the opportunity to seek out the SSSI nearby called Mottey Meadows, At this time of year there is a permissive path allowing you to walk through the meadow.

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/Njg0NTU=

It was very warm going yesterday but certainly worth it. The variety of tiny flowers among the grasses was superb and the air was thick with butterflies. 

Mottey Meadows is lovely but yes, only open for a certain part of the year.  Good spot for a picnic.

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's Sla'wit which some of us on this side of the Pennines assume is an abbreviation of slack wit ...

Valid, you are of cause right. I thought I had shorted it down to that but had left too many letters in for how I would say it!

15 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I wondered if you really meant the difference between Bath and Barth but I am guessing not. I’d say either is OK. The pitfall of trying to pronounce names like the locals is that if it requires adoption of the local accent to sound correct you run a high risk of sounding like a twerp.

I get a bit narked by the insistence amongst boaters that there is a mining town in north Warwickshire called Beduff. I was speaking to a colleague last week who like me is from Coventry. She lives in the area between Nuneaton, Bedworth and Bulkington and I grew up about 100 metres on the Coventry side of the boundary with Bedworth (Exhall). Neither of us pronounce it Beduff. I don’t dispute that others do but there’s no need to if it’s not in keeping with your natural way of speaking.

I think deliberate mispronunciation is a bit naff but not as bad as deliberate mis-spelling.

JP

Friends of mine from Coventry and Nuneaton call it Bed'erth.  I think the posher locals call it Bedworth.

15 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’m intrigued having lived there for 22 years. What characteristics do you believe that entails?

The Worcestershire accent is basically Brummie but with a slight west country burr.  That burr becomes more obvious as you head into Gloucestershire.  In Herefordshire the Brummieness is almost completely absent, replaced with a slight Welshness.  Shropshire is an odd one.  Most of Telford sound like a softened down version of Wolverhampton.  South Shropshire is similar to Herefordshire.  North Shropshire adds in a bit of scouse just do make it more confusing, especially around Whitchurch, Wem and the meres.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Friends of mine from Coventry and Nuneaton call it Bed'erth. 

This was certainly the pronunciation we heard when we moored at fairly nearby Springwood Haven marina. "Bed'uff" would surely be a more Suvvern pronunciation.

58 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The Worcestershire accent is basically Brummie but with a slight west country burr.

I don’t detect much of either in my two Worcester born and Worcs CC schools educated kids, despite the fact their mother is from Birmingham. I think we can over analyse this stuff and social mobility also blurs the distinctions that may once have existed.

The Wikipedia page for Bedworth entertains both the full pronunciation and both variants of the more local pronunciation (-uth or -uff). Naturally for Worcester it’s just the one, Wusster. I think they’ve got it right.

JP

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I don’t detect much of either in my two Worcester born and Worcs CC schools educated kids, despite the fact their mother is from Birmingham. I think we can over analyse this stuff and social mobility also blurs the distinctions that may once have existed.

The Wikipedia page for Bedworth entertains both the full pronunciation and both variants of the more local pronunciation (-uth or -uff). Naturally for Worcester it’s just the one, Wusster. I think they’ve got it right.

JP

There's a distinction to be made between a regional accent and the way people speak in a given area.  The Worcestershire accent I was referring to is spoken by families who have been in that area for generations.  Given their parentage, I wouldn't expect your children to have a true Worcestershire accent.

What you call over-analysis, I call 'find the subject interesting'.

Edited by doratheexplorer

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

As it happens , I’m visiting my

mom (first time since February) and she has her copy of Ramblin Rose next to her chair. 
The author, for what it’s worth spells it “Bedderth”.

and me mom (from Bedworth) reckons she would spell it “Bed’eth”.  

I imagine if her sister was here too she’d argue it’s spelt another way 

so who knows ? 

A Polynesian lady, reading our address in Nuneaton, replied "Nun-Ay-Aton, War-Wick-Shire?" And when we announced we were going to Cleethorpes the following week on business she observed "Cleethorpes?  Gee, it sounds like a venereal disease!"

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

There's a distinction to be made between a regional accent and the way people speak in a given area.  The Worcestershire accent I was referring to is spoken by families who have been in that area for generations.  Given their parentage, I wouldn't expect your children to have a true Worcestershire accent.

What you call over-analysis, I call 'find the subject interesting'.

I think the notion of a true accent is flawed and far too simplistic.

Surely the nature of speech varies over time in any location and that’s a prime factor in why accents vary with geography. It’s the lack of the development on the high grounds of the Midlands furthest away from invaders that gives the Black Country it’s distinctive accent that is the closest thing to an ancient British language you will find in England today. Everywhere around it has been subject to greater influence and change. That process is and always was ongoing.

I doubt any accent can be defined by anything more than a series of characteristics that are present to a greater or lesser degree in the speech of the population of the area concerned. My ancestry is dominated by north Warwickshire coal mining on the paternal side (Hawkesbury, Exhall, Bulkington, Nuneaton) and Midlands boatpeople on the maternal side yet I do not naturally say “Bedderth” and I don’t recall that was in any way unusual where I grew up or ever caused anyone to correct me.

I think there’s a degree of affectation in the notion there is an authentic way to pronounce place names and certain pieces of boating equipment.

JP

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

As it happens , I’m visiting my

mom (first time since February) and she has her copy of Ramblin Rose next to her chair. 
The author, for what it’s worth spells it “Bedderth”.

and me mom (from Bedworth) reckons she would spell it “Bed’eth”.  

I imagine if her sister was here too she’d argue it’s spelt another way 

so who knows ? 

Written as a characterisation of the voices that related the stories on which it is based. I have no doubt it’s essentially authentic but it isn’t a study of how all boat people spoke.

Surely your mum would spell it correctly if writing it, do you mean she’d spell her own pronunciation of it phonetically in that way?

Did you check out the title while you were there? ?

Edited by Captain Pegg