Tyrley Locks - how do you pronounce Tyrley?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

I live in Frome - given how simple the spelling youda thought the pronunciation was obvious wouldn't ya... 

I suspect even the locals don't agree :)

One from where I used to live;

Cogenhoe

One from where I live now

Woolfardisworthy

at least they an alternative pronunciation on the roadsigns for that one.

0_Woolsjpeg.jpg

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Frume ain’t it? 

Yes it is - surprising how many people think it's Froam though - in the good old days of telephone orders I'd say every other order had it wrong (spelt Froom cos that's how it's pronounced) Online forms have largely solved the problem

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Yes it is - surprising how many people think it's Froam though - in the good old days of telephone orders I'd say every other order had it wrong (spelt Froom cos that's how it's pronounced) Online forms have largely solved the problem

I try and make an effort to say towns as they’re said locally. 

But one I have difficulty with is Bath. 
I will always say that as Baff. 
I can’t bring myself to say Bath. 

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I try and make an effort to say towns as they’re said locally. 

But one I have difficulty with is Bath. 
I will always say that as Baff. 
I can’t bring myself to say Bath. 

Strange. How do you pronounce your own boat’s name?

JP

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No idea 

Never heard of it

Torn’how?

Just guessing. 

or Torp?

It defeats a lot of the natives!

Tr-pen-huh

Strangely it is derived from the word hill in 3 of the invasion languages Tor, Pen and Howe

• Happy 1

On 25/06/2020 at 22:53, The Bearwood Boster said:

Another vote for 'Turlee'.

This is my understanding. 

Although I do also hear people saying it more as it is spelt as 'tyre-lee' or something like that....

On 26/06/2020 at 11:25, Keeping Up said:

As in T'yrley bird catches t'worm

I had never thought about that before, but I like that!

23 hours ago, David Mack said:

You might have started something here. What about...

Gnosall?          Silent 'G'

Pontcysyllte?     Best left to my partner, Lowri... (bō/bəʊ, not to be produced like the famous painter!) 

Alrewas?   Like Walrus!

Mytholmroyd? Passs...

Cholmondeston? Chumley!

Slaithwaite?   Slough-witt.

22 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

How do I pronounce Tyrley? Correctly

How do I pronounce Gnosall? Correctly

How do I pronounce Pontcysyllte? Incorrectly

You me both!

6 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Llanfair P G

This

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

0_Woolsjpeg.jpg

Love that!

Daniel

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Good question

G’ ly-af 
?‍♀️

I wondered if you really meant the difference between Bath and Barth but I am guessing not. I’d say either is OK. The pitfall of trying to pronounce names like the locals is that if it requires adoption of the local accent to sound correct you run a high risk of sounding like a twerp.

I get a bit narked by the insistence amongst boaters that there is a mining town in north Warwickshire called Beduff. I was speaking to a colleague last week who like me is from Coventry. She lives in the area between Nuneaton, Bedworth and Bulkington and I grew up about 100 metres on the Coventry side of the boundary with Bedworth (Exhall). Neither of us pronounce it Beduff. I don’t dispute that others do but there’s no need to if it’s not in keeping with your natural way of speaking.

I think deliberate mispronunciation is a bit naff but not as bad as deliberate mis-spelling.

JP

• Haha 1

How about the well known Bedworth?

My relatives are all from Cov, so I knew that one from before I saw it written down. 

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

I wondered if you really meant the difference between Bath and Barth but I am guessing not. I’d say either is OK. The pitfall of trying to pronounce names like the locals is that if it requires adoption of the local accent to sound correct you run a high risk of sounding like a twerp.

I get a bit narked by the insistence amongst boaters that there is a mining town in north Warwickshire called Beduff. I was speaking to a colleague last week who like me is from Coventry. She lives in the area between Nuneaton, Bedworth and Bulkington and I grew up about 100 metres on the Coventry side of the boundary with Bedworth (Exhall). Neither of us pronounce it Beduff. I don’t dispute that others do but there’s no need to if it’s not in keeping with your natural way of speaking.

I think deliberate mispronunciation is a bit naff but not as bad as deliberate mis-spelling.

JP

Posts just crossed ?

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The pitfall of trying to pronounce names like the locals is that if it requires adoption of the local accent to sound correct

I've always found for example that it is impossible to say Droitwich without lapsing into a pseudo-local accent for the rest of the sentence (even though I'm from Surrey via Brizzle)

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Your correct, it’s gotta be natural. 
Beduth is natural. 

Barth just ain’t. 

I too couldn’t say Barth with my exceedingly rare Coventry accent. But nor does it naturally fall to Beduth (or Beduff), it’s more Bedwuth. Very hard vowels but we don’t always drop letters, more in common with a Leicester than Birmingham accent whereas in Bedworth they have a hint of a Brummie twang.

6 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I've always found for example that it is impossible to say Droitwich without lapsing into a pseudo-local accent for the rest of the sentence (even though I'm from Surrey via Brizzle)

I’m intrigued having lived there for 22 years. What characteristics do you believe that entails?

Edited by Captain Pegg

My dad came from Nuneaton and my mom’s from Bedworth. 
And me Grandad worked down Newdicote (?) Pit.

I still got an Aunty living on Grant Road. 

I gave me mom a copy of Rambling Rose, she likes it because they say ‘oss. 
Can’t remember how Bedworth is spelt in the book, but I’m sure it’s neither Beduff or Beduth, could be Bed’eth? dunno.