Tyrley Locks - how do you pronounce Tyrley?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, larrysanders said:

i did - thank you.   so many canal books in one place!  love audlem great place.  did the flight today.  

Audlem’s lovely. 
 I can’t resist buying a couple of books from the Mill each time I pass. 

There’s a decent book swop in the service block when you get to Norbury. 

So you’re yet to do the Tyrley flight?

Enjoy, it’s all pretty along there. 

I can’t remember, is it from there that it’s lock free til Weeton Aston? 18 mile. 

21 hours ago, Goliath said:

Audlem’s lovely. 

I can’t remember, is it from there that it’s lock free til Weeton Aston? 18 mile. 

21 hours ago, Goliath said:

Audlem’s lovely. 

yes lock free for 17 to 18 miles 

On 25/06/2020 at 21:16, Goliath said:

Speaking of Wheaton Aston:

We took the opportunity to seek out the SSSI nearby called Mottey Meadows, At this time of year there is a permissive path allowing you to walk through the meadow.

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/Njg0NTU=

It was very warm going yesterday but certainly worth it. The variety of tiny flowers among the grasses was superb and the air was thick with butterflies. 

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My wife has Welsh relatives. They can't even agree on the pronounciation of Pontycysyllte so what chance do the rest of us have?

Gaelic place names in Scotland are much simpler. If you are English, then however you pronounce it you'll be told you've got it wrong. If a Scottish person tells you how it should be pronounced, then other Scottish people will tell them they have got it wrong. The only certainty is that pronouncing it how it is spelled is definitely wrong!

Jen ?

17 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Gaelic place names in Scotland are much simpler. If you are English, then however you pronounce it you'll be told you've got it wrong. If a Scottish person tells you how it should be pronounced, then other Scottish people will tell them they have got it wrong. The only certainty is that pronouncing it how it is spelled is definitely wrong!

Jen ?

When I was working for BT I had a national role.

One of the Scottish operations managers had such a strong accent and such speed of delivery I literally couldn't understand much of what he said. 

One of the other Scottish managers had to translate for me. ?

Edited by cuthound
Capitalisation

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

When I was working for BT I had a national role.

One of the Scottish operations managers had such a strong accent and such speed of delivery I literally couldn't understand much of what he said. 

One of the other Scottish managers had to translate for me. ?

Had a similar experience on a business trip to the States with two Scottish colleagues. I ended up being the translator as I was the only one the Americans could understand.

• Greenie 1

Part of the problem with trying to explain pronunciation is that writing it phonetically using the English alphabet is still open to variation in pronunciation and does not show the accent on the syllables. In the case of @David Mack’s examples the correct pronunciations of Gnosall, Alrewas and Mytholmroyd are as dependent upon the emphasis as much as they are on the sounds.

There isn’t necessarily one set way to pronounce a place name in any case and given that Welsh pronunciations change with geography (even though it’s a phonetic language) it’s perhaps not totally surprising that all Welsh speakers (let alone Welsh people as @cuthound didn’t say his relatives were Welsh speakers) don’t agree on the pronunciation of Pontcysyllte. It would also be difficult for an English-only speaker to pronounce it absolutely correctly even if they could mimic the basic sounds and emphasis.

Newcastle (upon Tyne) is a good example that there’s no absolute right and wrong as many locals do not pronounce it the same way as the majority of English speakers. I don’t recommend telling them they are wrong.

As for Tyrley, I’d say it rhymes with ‘early’ and ‘girlie’ which in itself shows the daftness of English language pronunciation.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

My wife has Welsh relatives. They can't even agree on the pronounciation of Pontycysyllte so what chance do the rest of us have?

Some can even spell it correctly!

57 minutes ago, Heartland said:

How do you pronounce

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

?

I don't know if my pronunciation is correct but I can say it quickly without hesitation: back in the late 60's in Loughborough, I walked daily past a piece of graffiti which included this name and I set myself the challenge of gradually adding additional syllables, over several months!

10 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Loughborough

Or as a visiting Australian might pronounce it, Looga-Burooga.

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I walked daily past a piece of graffiti which included this name and I set myself the challenge of gradually adding additional syllables, over several months!

It must have been a very long name indeed, presumably written on a very long wall, by the time you'd finished ?