socket and sink question

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, narrowboatmike said:

Hi , are there any safety regs regarding the a mains plug socket on a kitchen

work surface and the kitchen sink , do they have to be a particular distance apart ?

thanks, Mike

I dont know about the RCD on a new build but the BSS are not bothered by it. I would suggest you use your common sence and dont put it where it will get wet

ISO 13297 doesn’t have much to say about it except this:

“13.5 Receptacles/sockets provided for the galley area shall be located so that appliance cords may be plugged in
without crossing above a galley stove or sink or across a traffic area“

3 hours ago, narrowboatmike said:

I think I've found the answer. It was a recommended distance of 300 mm.

where did that come from?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

didnt the rcd have something about an extra sensitive rcd for kitchen sockets

No I don’t think so. Well I can’t find it anyway. An an extra sensitive RCD in a kitchen would be a nuisance, all that steam would make it trip!

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

That sounds way too close... a foot?

well I think the point is that in a house one shouldn’t be able to touch a socket and a watery thing at the same time. But in a boat, it simply isn’t big enough unless you want zero sockets in your kitchen.

We have double sockets either side of the sink and whilst they are probably a bit more than a foot away, I don’t see much difference between say 6” and 2’ in terms of safety.

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

No I don’t think so. Well I can’t find it anyway. An an extra sensitive RCD in a kitchen would be a nuisance, all that steam would make it trip!

well I think the point is that in a house one shouldn’t be able to touch a socket and a watery thing at the same time. But in a boat, it simply isn’t big enough unless you want zero sockets in your kitchen.

We have double sockets either side of the sink and whilst they are probably a bit more than a foot away, I don’t see much difference between say 6” and 2’ in terms of safety.

Exactly, for safety 2 metres (one armstretch) would be ideal but it is impracticable in a narrow boat, so position them where you feel comfortable with them. It is a balance of practicality and safety.

In my boat the closest mains sockets are about 500mm away from the sink but supply the microwave and coffee machine which rarely need unplugging.

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

That sounds way too close... a foot?

We have a 240v socket directly behind our galley sink on NC.

To use the sink you do have to lift up the glass lid however which covers the socket.

20180524-214545.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

51 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

To use the sink you do have to lift up the glass lid however which covers the socket.

20180524-214545.jpg

Love that photo!

Yeah, as Nick pointed out, within the confines of a boat it's not really practical to not have them close together.

Just now, WotEver said:

Love that photo!

Yeah, as Nick pointed out, within the confines of a boat it's not really practical to not have them close together.

I'm not sure why Syd was sulking but it was the only picture I could find with the sink and socket :D

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm not sure why Syd was sulking but it was the only picture I could find with the sink and socket :D

Sadly, it also shows a case of L*ger...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I prefer it to Fosters.

When we 'had the bar' Bud sales were so low that we gave up on it - if we had a 'party', and it was requested I'd go down to the Co-Op and by a couple of cases.

Even Fosters sales were low and we eventually changed over to one pump on Carling and one on a 'premium' lager (typically Carlsberg)

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

ISO 13297 doesn’t have much to say about it except this:

“13.5 Receptacles/sockets provided for the galley area shall be located so that appliance cords may be plugged in
without crossing above a galley stove or sink or across a traffic area“

where did that come from?

I always like to know the source of requirements as well, too many people make rules up,

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Exactly, for safety 2 metres (one armstretch) would be ideal but it is impracticable in a narrow boat, so position them where you feel comfortable with them. It is a balance of practicality and safety. 

That is probably not very practical in a house or small flat. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Love that photo!

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

20180524-214545.jpg

Which ties in with what Nick said as your boat is RCD compliant probably independently certified un like our tin slugs which are self certified 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we 'had the bar' Bud sales were so low that we gave up on it - if we had a 'party', and it was requested I'd go down to the Co-Op and by a couple of cases.

Even Fosters sales were low and we eventually changed over to one pump on Carling and one on a 'premium' lager (typically Carlsberg)

Carlsberg. Probably the worst lager in the world.......