Honest opinions on boat

AJby3

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

My test (in anything but freezing weather) is to start the engine from cold without allowing glowplugs any working time, if it's not running within 30 seconds (and fairly smoke free after another 30 seconds) then I have know I need to investigate the engine condition. although to be fair I am a stickler for wanting engines to be perfect.

On my last boat we arrived having left it untouched for 3 months, jumped up & down on the deckboard to break the ice so we could lift it and turn the isolator on, turned the key straight to start and 10 seconds later it fired up with a single puff of smoke that cleared instantly, overall I was happy especially considering I knew that the starter battery was the one originally fitted to the boat when it was built 28 years earlier (sadly the starter battery finally gave up a week before we sold the boat and we had to sell it with a new battery)

Not so sure an elderly BMC in reasonable condition would start without glowplugs and then not smoke in cold weather. The BMCs use pinatux injectors that have a tiny hole that seems to block fairly easily and thus degrades cold starting but has virtually no effect when running.

Yes we rang the broker today and it is under offer, so we won't be making the trip to see it. Have learned a lot of useful things from this thread to keep in mind when going to view boats in future. Thank you all

• Greenie 1