Tad warm

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I have avoided saying anything to the daughter of a friend of ours who is just about to start her tree surgeon training here about how hot it’s going to be. Still, she’s young and fit, so probably won’t feel like I did back in about 1990 training in 90f temperatures.

Like every job it has it's problems and difficulties but I got paid to climb trees, I mean how cool is that :)

wish her luck, advice freely given if wanted

19 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Like every job it has it's problems and difficulties but I got paid to climb trees, I mean how cool is that :)

wish her luck, advice freely given if wanted

As I always say - you never see a fat tree surgeon!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

The thunder has started here and looks like we are going to get some proper downpours :)

Little rain for 20 minutes this morning and now sweltering again, it looks as this afternoon storms will miss us sticking out here in the North Sea

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The thunder has started here and looks like we are going to get some proper downpours :)

I thought we were getting early thunderstorms last night, but it was fireworks all across the West Lancashire plain.

Apparently something to do with football happened that made many of the locals quite happy ...

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

They are but no where near as ugly as a poxy satelite dish nailed onto the house that seemed to be everywhere for a few years. People dont notice how crap they are until there are non. I ran a pub in a village where tv aerials and satelite dishes were banned and the roof lines etc looked soooooooooo much better.

I remember working in Milton Keynes about 30 yrs ago and looking at row upon row of roofs with no aerials or chimneys and thinking how boring it looked.

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought we were getting early thunderstorms last night, but it was fireworks all across the West Lancashire plain.

Apparently something to do with football happened that made many of the locals quite happy ...

I have noticed some of my friends from back home seem happy about something, Everton has won some sort of game I think 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Little rain for 20 minutes this morning and now sweltering again, it looks as this afternoon storms will miss us sticking out here in the North Sea

We have had a couple of good thunderstorms with really heavy rain and hail lasting about 15 minutes each.

Still too hot though. Sun is back out again now! 

50 minutes ago, bastion said:

I remember working in Milton Keynes about 30 yrs ago and looking at row upon row of roofs with no aerials or chimneys and thinking how boring it looked.

Saddo ?

22 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I wish we had them to clear the air a small shower over night was all we got.

Been bloody scorching and roasting ott with blue skies here all day, not even the whisper of rain :( It is cooling off now at last and I am hopeful of a major temperature drop by tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Been bloody scorching and roasting ott with blue skies here all day, not even the whisper of rain :( It is cooling off now at last and I am hopeful of a major temperature drop by tomorrow.

Its tepid. My 40 k ride to the boat and 45 k ride back after moving were done with only 2 jerseys on and shorts. Bit dodgy I know but i had a third jacket if  I got cold.

Our heat policy used to be stop racing if the temperature at 5 pm was over 39 degrees.

• Horror 1

On 26/06/2020 at 09:11, Loddon said:

We keep the vertical blinds on the south facing windows partially shut to prevent any sun in the room, works well for us.

23 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have tried keeping the blinds and curtains shut but it doesn't make much difference.

Once the heat has got in through the glass, blinds and curtains have only a limited effect. That's why houses in warmer climates have shutters and awnings on the outside, to keep the heat from the window in the first place.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Once the heat has got in through the glass, blinds and curtains have only a limited effect. That's why houses in warmer climates have shutters and awnings on the outside, to keep the heat from the window in the first place.

There must be something odd about our house then since the doors are 1980's double glazed so not the latest spec, with sliding glass door of 2mx2m and a large window facing south and another glass door facing east with the blinds closed it stays relatively cool with them open it gets hot.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Very true. All the glass in every window lifts out of my boat, much more sensible than fixed glass in houses I have owned. We take them out on days like yesterday and the benefits are significant over days we leave them in.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Very true. All the glass in every window lifts out of my boat, much more sensible than fixed glass in houses I have owned. We take them out on days like yesterday and the benefits are significant over days we leave them in.

We have removable windows as well, makes a hell of a difference in hot weather.

• Greenie 1

The cabin on NC always stays relatively cool in the summer compared to the outside temperatures probably because it has small tinted windows that keep the heat out and being white it reflects the light better. 

It is also easy to get the air moving around with the hatches open and the door slightly ajar. 

Thankfully the house is now starting to cool down a little and the rain we have is cooling the air.

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The cabin on NC always stays relatively cool in the summer compared to the outside temperatures probably because it has small tinted windows that keep the heat out and being white it reflects the light better. 

It is also easy to get the air moving around with the hatches open and the door slightly ajar. 

Thankfully the house is now starting to cool down a little and the rain we have is cooling the air.

Our boat was dark blue and always got very hot inside in summer, I have started to repaint it and the roof and sides are now in white primer, the difference this makes to the inside temperature when the sun shines is massive.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Same with my boat. On a hot day you remove windows, insert flyscreens, open the two Houdini hatches, open the front and rear doors and enjoy the breeze.

• Greenie 1