Tad warm

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is "solar gain" a scientific term for "sunshine"?

How about a hinged roof?

Won't help. The insulation in the loft space is laid over the ceiling joists not between the roof trusses.

Solar gain is the extra heat generated from the sun shining into the rooms. Great in the winter as it is free heat, rubbish at this time of year when the rooms are already too hot :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And this time next year you’ll no doubt consider it seriously again ;)

I can’t justify the expense to myself for the handful of days a year we might appreciate it 

We do know someone who owns a air con company so we have previously spoken to him about it and he can do us a decent deal. But it is still eye wateringly expensive and the units on the side of the house are ugly.

One of our neighbours has had it fitted though and they say it is very good.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Solar gain is the extra heat generated from the sun shining into the rooms. Great in the winter as it is free heat, rubbish at this time of year when the rooms are already too hot :rolleyes:

We keep the vertical blinds on the south facing windows partially shut to prevent any sun in the room, works well for us.

Our kitchen/diner gets the sun all day but because of the blinds etc remains a reasonable temperature even though its a 1980's house.

Luckily our master bedroom is on the North side ;)

26 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Won't help. The insulation in the loft space is laid over the ceiling joists not between the roof trusses.

We do know someone who owns a air con company so we have previously spoken to him about it and he can do us a decent deal. But it is still eye wateringly expensive and the units on the side of the house are ugly.

One of our neighbours has had it fitted though and they say it is very good.

They are but no where near as ugly as a poxy satelite dish nailed onto the house that seemed to be everywhere for a few years. People dont notice how crap they are until there are non. I ran a pub in a village where tv aerials and satelite dishes were banned and the roof lines etc looked soooooooooo much better.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are really struggling to keep our house at a comfortable temperature. Every room bar the downstairs loo and small bedroom have a south facing window so we are competing not only with the heat but high solar gain as well which is just compounding the problem. The house isn't losing much heat over night so as the hot days continue the heat inside the house is just rising further. It is 26 degrees in the hallway as I type this and that is one of the cooler areas in the house.

We do look set to get some thundershowers and rain today which should hopefully cool things down a little.

We are giving serious consideration to getting air conditioning fitted to this house.

Bet you thought when you bought the house that the south facing aspect was a positive feature! (Or at least the selling agents said so)

23 minutes ago, Loddon said:

We keep the vertical blinds on the south facing windows partially shut to prevent any sun in the room, works well for us.

Our kitchen/diner gets the sun all day but because of the blinds etc remains a reasonable temperature even though its a 1980's house.

Luckily our master bedroom is on the North side ;)

We have tried keeping the blinds and curtains shut but it doesn't make much difference.

I have been working in the kitchen diner which has east and south facing windows and doors and with the patio doors open I can keep this room comfortable while I am working.

The master bedroom has south and west facing windows which doesn't help!!

Thankfully today it is quite over cast so the rooms are not getting as hot. I'm hoping it might cool down in the house today now that the sun isn't beating down on it all day :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Bet you thought when you bought the house that the south facing aspect was a positive feature! (Or at least the selling agents said so)

It is a positive feature most of the time. It makes the house nice and bright and sunny and heats it during the winter. It is just the odd day we get when it is too hot. Luckily on those too hot days the garden is East facing so we can sit out of the sun on the patio in the evening and cool off over few beers and a BBQ.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have tried keeping the blinds and curtains shut but it doesn't make much difference.

I have been working in the kitchen diner which has east and south facing windows and doors and with the patio doors open I can keep this room comfortable while I am working.

The master bedroom has south and west facing windows which doesn't help!!

Thankfully today it is quite over cast so the rooms are not getting as hot. I'm hoping it might cool down in the house today now that the sun isn't beating down on it all day :rolleyes:

Wish I could say the same here its already horrific heat and bright sunshine. I HATE nice weather!!

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Ours is south-facing at the rear and it certainly gets hot on the occasional really hot days we get but that's more than compensated for by the lightness. It also meant that fitting roof solar was a no-brainer.

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They are but no where near as ugly as a poxy satelite dish nailed onto the house that seemed to be everywhere for a few years. People dont notice how crap they are until there are non. I ran a pub in a village where tv aerials and satelite dishes were banned and the roof lines etc looked soooooooooo much better.

I have to agree with you. We opted for an indoor aerial in the loft which works a treat and hasn't ruined the outside of the house.

Just now, WotEver said:

Ours is south-facing at the rear and it certainly gets hot on the occasional really hot days we get but that's more than compensated for by the lightness. It also meant that fitting roof solar was a no-brainer.

The roof at the front of our house would be ideal for solar but we use so little electric that it wouldn't really be worth the expense of installing them.

It wouldn't be worth fitting the water heating ones either as we have an electric shower so the combi boiler only fires up for hand and pot washing at this time of year.

When we bought the house new in '94 it had some award for "Warm by design" or something similar.  Basically it meant that it was very well insulated, and we have noticed that as you walk into it in the summer how much cooler it is than outside (and vica-versa in the winter).  Obviously, if we have a run of very hot weather then it gradually warms up.  Fortunately, the lounge is north facing.

Just now, WotEver said:

When we bought the house new in '94 it had some award for "Warm by design" or something similar.  Basically it meant that it was very well insulated, and we have noticed that as you walk into it in the summer how much cooler it is than outside (and vica-versa in the winter).  Obviously, if we have a run of very hot weather then it gradually warms up.  Fortunately, the lounge is north facing.

Our lounge is south and west facing. :rolleyes:

We have no windows on the North facing wall.

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That'll be nice and warm then... ;)

Yep. We sat on the patio last night to watch a film. It was far cooler.

Thankfully it isn't that often we get such warm weather.

As I type though the house is cooling down. Hopefully this overcast weather will last the day out.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yep. We sat on the patio last night to watch a film. It was far cooler.

Thankfully it isn't that often we get such warm weather.

As I type though the house is cooling down. Hopefully this overcast weather will last the day out.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese send the overcasticity down here.............its bloody awful and clear blue skies again :(

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese send the overcasticity down here.............its bloody awful and clear blue skies again :(

Thankfully for unplanned reasons I'm not in work today but just try all day driving in a small van with no air con, yesterday was horrible, I am just grateful I no longer do any real physical work :)

• Greenie 1

Spent yesterday at the boat because knew weather was going to be rubbish at weekend. Small GRP boat, cockpit all still tarped up from lockdown, even with the Houdini hatch and door open the tiny cabin was sweltering. Why haven't I removed the tarp yet? Well, watching shenanigans in Bournemouth, not convinced we won't have the brakes put on again, will take it off next weekend when can stay over and have a pootle.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Thankfully for unplanned reasons I'm not in work today but just try all day driving in a small van with no air con, yesterday was horrible, I am just grateful I no longer do any real physical work :)

Liam wasn't happy working in the bodyshop in this weather in overalls :unsure:

31 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I bet, used to try every trick in the book to stay cool on days like this when I was on the tools, 

When I was on the tools I used to hate this weather. Modern telephone exchanges use fresh air to cool them for 85% of the year and small air conditioning units built into the air handling units for the other 15%  when the wather is warm.

They are designed to cope with external ambient temperatures of 35°C (a once in a hundred year event when they were designed in the late 70's). At those ambient temperatures the exchange reaches 45°C or more. Very unpleasant to have to do any physical work.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

When I was on the tools I used to hate this weather. Modern telephone exchanges use fresh air to cool them for 85% of the year and small air conditioning units built into the air handling units for the other 15%  when the wather is warm.

They are designed to cope with external ambient temperatures of 35°C (a once in a hundred year event when they were designed in the late 70's). At those ambient temperatures the exchange reaches 45°C or more. Very unpleasant to have to do any physical work.

We used to joke that you could spot an off duty tree surgeon during the summer by the way they walked, the nappy rash shuffle ;)

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

We used to joke that you could spot an off duty tree surgeon during the summer by the way they walked, the nappy rash shuffle ;)

There were two not far from us the first hot day. They started at 08.30 and finished after 5 pm clearing a neighbours plot. This is a south facing hill, baking in the southern sun.

How they did it, gawd only knows. Annoyingly, he had a huge pile of old logs - he got them to chainsaw up and remove...... I would have done it for free (in the cold).

The last lot he got in were cowboys. The cleared his scrub, made a fire and managed to set alight and ruin three neighbours fir trees resulting in the fire brigade howling down to put out. The tree burned skeletons are still there. the cowboys just got in the van disappeared and turned their phone off.  ;)

Edited by mark99

We have the benefit of motorised roof blinds in the sun house and one of those press button huge sun awnings in the drawing room as the house faces SSE.

I don't like the awning being open however as it shades all the  grapevine and masses of grapes growing up the back wall! 

Edited by mark99

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I have avoided saying anything to the daughter of a friend of ours who is just about to start her tree surgeon training here about how hot it’s going to be. Still, she’s young and fit, so probably won’t feel like I did back in about 1990 training in 90f temperatures.