Life jacket rearming .

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

As the title. For my own understanding. Ive read that the rearming kit should be replaced every two years. In my mind, if the ‘sparklets bulb is not pierced how or why does it deteriorate? In addition if I purchase a new one now, in case I go ‘river’ In the future, will the unopened rearming kit last indefinitely. Its one of these situations, you don’t know it works until you need it.

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

As the title. For my own understanding. Ive read that the rearming kit should be replaced every two years. In my mind, if the ‘sparklets bulb is not pierced how or why does it deteriorate? In addition if I purchase a new one now, in case I go ‘river’ In the future, will the unopened rearming kit last indefinitely. Its one of these situations, you don’t know it works until you need it.

I work on the basis of the recommendations. They are not that expensive and as you hint at finding out an 'expired' one didn't activate when you went in the drink is a bit too late.

Edit. I think the risk stems from a deteriorating seal and loss of gas. But I'm not 100% certain that's the issue.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

The cartridge can have microscopic leaks in it - it should be weighed every year and the weight compared with that printed on the cartridge.

I had one that was not pierced but was empty - it wasn't when put in.

The normal method of automatic firing is the use of a salt filled bobbin, these do have a life, they should be inspected annually and replaced as required (the date on them is the manufacturing date) so you need to find the BB life for your type.

Inflate the life jacket by using a bike / car foot pump (not by mouth) and leave it to stand 24 hours, if it loses pressure scrap it.

Its a 5 minute £15 every couple of years job.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I work on the basis of the recommendations. They are not that expensive and as you hint at finding out an 'expired' one didn't activate when you went in the drink is a bit too late.

Okay, I understand that. But, unopened, what is the shelf life. For info, about £15 or less if you’re lucky.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Okay, I understand that. But, unopened, what is the shelf life. For info, about £15 or less if you’re lucky.

See the post above yours which is the frequency we too change.

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The shelf life of the cylinder is infinite if it is weighed and the correct weight is shown. When the weight is below that marked on the cartridge it is past its use by date.

The bobbins have a date printed on them, they should be disposed of when they expire, even if unused.

This is the 'salt filled' bobbin - it absorbs moisture over time so needs changing. (different shapes and sizes but all the same principle)

When submerged, the salt washes out allowing the striker to puncture the cartridge and inflate the life-jacket.

The striker comes up thru the centre, it is held back by the centre 'fingers', which are stopped from moving outwards by the Salt, when the Salt is flushed out the finger can move and the spring loaded striker does its job. It is almost instantaneous.

yellow-bobbin-halkey-roberts-auto-inflator-000010.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

IIRC - the cannisters had a weight on them and a not to say = bin when they fall below that.

If you fall into the Thames the ordure will probably keep you afloat (as in the Dead Sea)

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The shelf life of the cylinder is infinite if it is weighed and the correct weight is shown. When the weight is below that on the cartridge it is past its use by date.

The bobbins have a date printed on them, they should be disposed of when they expire, even if unused.

This is the 'salt filled' bobbin - it absorbs moisture over time so needs changing. (different shapes and sizes but all the same principle)

When submerged, the salt washes out allowing the striker to puncture the cartridge and inflate the life-jacket.

yellow-bobbin-halkey-roberts-auto-inflator-000010.jpg

What alan saisd really.

I renewed ours early this year to be ready.

I found this company really helpful - Marine Warehouse

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just a thought - are you talking about an Auto or manual lifejacket ?

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

IIRC - the cannisters had a weight on them and a not to say = bin when they fall below that.

See post #2

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just a thought - are you talking about an Auto or manual lifejacket ?

See post #2

You mean I have to read the whole **** thread???

That flies in the face of current practice....

!pah!

• Haha 1

The jackets are stowed away at present. But believe they are auto.

So, i will replace the rearming bits and bobs that is recommended to me, prior to next use.

If I purchase the kits now, and don’t go Riverising, will the kits, unopened, be okay in 18 months time. Or, do i have to weigh them anyway? Do sellers weigh then before sale? Would i know how long the stockist has had them on their selves?

9 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Is this a bit like the Monty Python thing with Witches?  If you're unsure... chuck it in the canal.  That will tell you whether you needed to renew it or not. Only need to do it once.

Perzacly.

37 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The jackets are stowed away at present. But believe they are auto.

So, i will replace the rearming bits and bobs that is recommended to me, prior to next use.

If I purchase the kits now, and don’t go Riverising, will the kits, unopened, be okay in 18 months time. Or, do i have to weigh them anyway? Do sellers weigh then before sale? Would i know how long the stockist has had them on their selves?

Good suppliers will tell you on the website what the date on the bobbins are...ive used marine warehouse and found them very helpful and a good price. The cylinders have a recorded weight stamped on them...as well as the nominal weight....use a set of digital scales to weigh them.

https://www.lifejackets.co.uk/categories/41/lifejacket-rearming-kits-co2-and-parts

That link is marine warehouse btw.

Given the cost of the bobbins and the fact they might save your life its worth keeping on top of the servicing.

As above the cylinders rarely go faulty....The ones I have must be 10 years old now but are all in spec. I do replace the bobbins and do and inflation test annually on the lifejackets.

Edited by frangar

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Or, do i have to weigh them anyway? Do sellers weigh then before sale? Would i know how long the stockist has had them on their selves?

I doubt the sellers weigh the cartridges, they rarely leak but as I said, I have had one that lost it gas inside 12 months.

The bobbins are all dated, some with the manufacturing date so get one with the date closest to the current date some with the Use By date.

I use Ebay as the sellers normally quote the dates.

You will need to get the old bobbins off and see what make / type / size you need.

I have some lifejackets that take the United Moulders type of bobbin which comes in different sizes / colours. Example :

s-l1600.jpg

I have other lifejackets that use the 'yellow' bobbin, but again different makes / designs and sizes.

The gas cartridges come in different sizes (grams of gas)  (24g, 27g, 32g etc) depending on the buoyancy rating of the lifejackets (150N, 275N etc etc)

Being a non swimmer (in the sea, with full winter clothing) I have a 350N lifejacket which uses 2x 32g cartridges. One in each 'bladder'.

Do not use a bigger cartridge than specified as you can burst the 'bladder' of the life jacket.

If you weigh your cartridges and they are OK then you only need order the bobbins.

Its all very easy to do if you do the research first and buy replacements for exactly what is used on YOUR life jackets.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I doubt the sellers weigh the cartridges, they rarely leak but as I said, I have had one that lost it gas inside 12 months.

The bobbins are all dated, some with the manufacturing date so get one with the date closest to the current date some with the Use By date.

I use Ebay as the sellers normally quote the dates.

You will need to get the old bobbins off and see what make / type / size you need.

I have some lifejackets that take the United Moulders type of bobbin which comes in different sizes / colours. Example :

s-l1600.jpg

I have other lifejackets that use the 'yellow' bobbin, but again different makes / designs and sizes.

The gas cartridges come in different sizes (grams of gas)  (24g, 27g, 32g etc) depending on the buoyancy rating of the lifejackets (150N, 275N etc etc)

Being a non swimmer (in the sea, with full winter clothing) I have a 350N lifejacket which uses 2x 32g cartridges. One in each 'bladder'.

Do not use a bigger cartridge than specified as you can burst the 'bladder' of the life jacket.

If you weigh your cartridges and they are OK then you only need order the bobbins.

Its all very easy to do if you do the research first and buy replacements for exactly what is used on YOUR life jackets.

Thank you. I’ll dig them out a familiarise myself with them. 

Just to add there are some good videos on the website mentioned above.

I would advise avoiding the Hammar design, they are rather fiddly to service and check. United moulders (photos above) much simpler.

Oh and if you don't have crotch straps then please retrofit them ....