Portable Radio?

Clodi

Featured Posts

I'm looking to buy a portable radio (DAB) for use on my boat but also on the west coast of Ireland. Mobile phone signal is patchy so use of the mobile is not really an option. I used to rate Roberts radios but looking at the reviews of the current offering it looks as if their quality has gone the ay of most things and is rather hit and miss.

Has anyone got any recent experience of purchasing a portable radio without spending a fortune?

We ha e a dab radio and have tried others. Present one is crap as we're the others. Some signal, no signal, walk near it no signal etc etc, get a proper radio. We were supposedly to have gone all digital some years ago now but it never happened simply because they are a retrograde step. 

We have a Roberts ‘Vintage’ DAB. On the whole, we are happy with it. Depending on where we are, it can be affected by the telly being on in another part of the boat. We have had issues in the past with electronic switches breaking down. Had them exchanged with a little persuasion. But as i say, not too bad.

IME DAB reception is patchy at best.

At home I can see the famous 'radar station' aeral mast on the Downs - but even so neither the Roberts nor something else less renowned) works without the aerial fully extended.

For general  use we have channel 703/4 on't TV band where the quality is better anyway...

If you are in a poor signal area it would be worth buying one with an external antenna socket. These are as rare as rocking horse poo. However, it is said that some have extendable aerials that are screwed into f-sockets. Might be interesting to go into a shop and see what unscrews.

11 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

If you are in a poor signal area it would be worth buying one with an external antenna socket. These are as rare as rocking horse poo. However, it is said that some have extendable aerials that are screwed into f-sockets. Might be interesting to go into a shop and see what unscrews.

Umm - We use a car radio with a DAB band and a DAB socket

58 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

So do we, a JVC, with a little DAB aerial that sticks to the inside of the nearest window. The only time that it ever fails to pick up a signal is when we switch on the LED tube light near it, at which point it automatically switches over to the FM version of that station if one exists.

Unlikely to get good reliable reception in a steel box with holes bit better with big windows. On the roof will be fine, we have found very few areas with poor signal between London and Leeds via Oxford. We have a Phillips old style with an external aerial socket and have an aerial on the roof.

19 minutes ago, Detling said:

Unlikely to get good reliable reception in a steel box with holes bit better with big windows. On the roof will be fine, we have found very few areas with poor signal between London and Leeds via Oxford. We have a Phillips old style with an external aerial socket and have an aerial on the roof.

Actually, at DAB frequencies a typical window will be about the right size to act as a slot antenna / coupler. A bit small for band 2 FM. Portholes not much use. A wooden front door is the right size for FM coupling. It might be interesting to try connecting the two long sides of a window to a cable as a slot dipole.

Edited by Onewheeler
finger trouble

Never really had an issue getting a radio channel. BBC radio 4 is always good. And we retune occasionally and get one our favourites stations Jack3. Plays all oldy worldly music with humour. Seems to be local to Oxford region.

Ruark R1 MKIII is a great sounding radio both DAB and FM + the battery pack to make it truly portable. Has F type aerial. 

Runs on mains as well. We use one on our boat - charge the battery pack when boating and run off the battery pack when moored.

Edited by Muddy Waters

The radio we have has a builtin charger. Bought some cheapy rechargeable batteries from Aldi/lidl. That must be five years ago. Thought at the time, if they last a year that’ll do.  A charge lasts ages. Admittingly we have had to exchange the Radio three times. But we are happy! 

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I've been toying with fitting a car radio + pod speakers - assume that my 12v system should match OK. But, what about an ariel? Modern cars seem to get away with titchy bumps at the back of the roof. I've already got good TV reception with a magnet base stub ariel - could I piggy back  a lead from the coax plug to the radio?

4 minutes ago, Opener said:

I've been toying with fitting a car radio + pod speakers - assume that my 12v system should match OK. But, what about an ariel? Modern cars seem to get away with titchy bumps at the back of the roof. I've already got good TV reception with a magnet base stub ariel - could I piggy back  a lead from the coax plug to the radio?

Do you mean a DAB radio or a FM radio?

Just now, Keeping Up said:

Do you mean a DAB radio or a FM radio?

I'd probs stick with FM - not a frequent boater (sorry!) so out and out fidelity not really critical although not sure what's actually avail on the motoring after-market these days. Can you buy a simple radio as a replacement?  I'm wondering why a car owner would need to buy a 'simple' set to replace what is currently fitted (which is probably better quality).

3 hours ago, Beo said:

We’ve tried a couple of DAB portable radios and found that they eat batteries. Now about to try a Bosch site radio - FM only. 

This ^^^^. Old fashioned steam powered FM sips battery juice compared with DAB. If signal strength is poor the sound degrades gracefully, rather than just not working at all. Unless you habitually listen to DAB only stations, then go with FM until they close it down and sell off the frequencies to the highest bidder. Plenty of second hand portable radios around, or can still buy new.

Jen

I think it's fairly easy to get a simple one, the best value is probably to buy a 2nd hand one from someone who has upgraded. I think the best option would be to drill a hole in the roof and install a separate FM car radio aerial.

We have a car DAB at the front of the boat which uses a cheap Halfords magnetic aerial, passed the cable through the unused satellite aerial gland in the front bulkhead. We have a £20 portable DAB that runs off mains or AA batteries for the bedroom. Use 2 x sets of rechargeables, charged on the move, to run it off batteries. It works virtually everywhere in the boat (with portholes) and never not had reception for following rugby on the hatch whilst cruising. If we can't get reception over morning tea in bed we put the car set on loud, as long as we are nowhere near another boat!

Have an expensive Roberts set at home which is useless and replaced with a Pure One mini together with a charge pack. We take the Pure with us in the motorhome and get a signal when we can't from the cab set. The Pure is good and cost around £80 with the battery pack

This one works ok, you can use a micro usb charger to power it onboard. I use a power bank type battery via the usb when out and about, I Velcro the battery to the back of the radio. I found the power bank battery near the tills at TK Max.  https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/goodmans-dab-radio-black-3497461  

My wife has a Roberts Sports DAB 2 portable. Built in rechargeable battery. Reception not as good as the car radio in some places and if she wakes early she will extend the aerial and place it by a porthole and put an ear piece in.

I listen to Radio a lot, I have a couple of DAB receivers,  Pure Evoke series, and a cheapo from Audi. The Pure provide good reception on DAB, not cheap, I got a Evoke 4, oldish model from fleebay for £40, does chew through batteries  but used mostly on mains supply in house,  Audi DAB was £15,  keep on the boat, it works fine,  I have rechargeable batteries, use battery power when I have it on deck whilst cruising and plug into 24v inside.

Always of a risk of the boat radio going for a swim, so wouldn't want to spend/lose a lot on cash on one.

Do enjoy Radio 4 extra, the goon show still has me in stitches,  Radio 6 for music, enjoy the variety, and DJ's not sharing their life dramas.