Battery makes / terminology / brands ??

waterdog

Featured Posts

I'm looking to replace my tired leisure batteries before winter and would like to find replacements that will drop in without making any changes to the battery storage area / wiring etc.

Currently I have 4 x Hankook XV31MF 130ah deep cycle, no idea how old as they were on the boat when we bought it.

Searching the web produces no results for the Hankook but I can find XV31MF from Numax 105ah, also Enduroline and Powerline both 110ah but can't find any at 130ah.

Numax also do a CVX31MF that looks the same.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/types/xv31mf/

also found a powerplus LXD100 that has a better CCA and is suggested by following website as an alternative.

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/advanced-lxd100-dual-purpose-leisure-battery/

The question is, are all xv31mf the same despite the different brand names?

Also open to suggestions if anyone knows of a better drop in replacement.

Thanks.

We have a pair of Bison BXC31MF's on board which have been on since March 2017. They look to be much the same as the Numax batteries in your link but with a different colour casing. We have been very impressed with them and there is still no noticeable drop in their capacity or performance.

Some manufacturers seem to be more optimistic that others (or have a 'better' Marketing department) and rate identical batteries with slightly different ratings.

For example 'my' 6x 220Ah batteries are rated anywhere from 200Ah to 230Ah yet they are all the same 'Type 625'.

Different manufacturers batteries have varying weight despite being to the same spec, my '625's vary from 53 kg (each) to 57kgs (each).

More lead = more capacity.

Also some manufacturers can 'play tricks' with the C-Rate so it pays to make sure you are not comparing Oranges with Satsumas.

http://all-about-lead-acid-batteries.capnfatz.com/all-about-lead-acid-batteries/lead-acid-battery-fundamentals/what-does-battery-c-rate-mean/

So, beware, it is a minefield.

The number 31 relates to the battery group which means that any battery in group 31 will be of a similar size, varying by a few mm in dimension. The other letters are specific to manufacturer type. If you go on Tayna Batteries you should be able to get a list of all their group 31 batteries or just Google group 31 batteries.

There are only a few battery factories, various suppliers buy them in and put their brand label on, they might even get them from various factories at different times.

Don't worry about brands, just get the cheapest.

Don't factor in guarantees, they are only against faulty parts and workmanship, not the battery wearing out, and marine use is often excluded in the smallprint.

Batteries are good for about 300 cycles, used every day this might be a year so,  so a 3 year guarantee is meaningless. A 3 year guarantee battery is likely the same battery as the 1 year guarantee with a different label and more profit.

Weight is probably the only measure of quality/capacity but its probably not specified, and they mostly all weight the same.

A 3 digit type code (like 031) specifies dimensions and Terminal Layout (left or right) so match the code for a drop in replacement.

..............Dave

• Greenie 2

Battery Megastore stock Hancook batteries and always have.

I've known the company since they were very small  and value their recommendation. They 'major' in Hancook and mebe not because they get a good price  but that they 'do the job'

After all they sell a myriad of other brands labels for which their profit may be higher - thus I do listen to what they say....

For boating use you really need 'traction battery' types, but folks blench at the instant price.

You may "need" traction batteries for boating use, but they are only as good as the users ability to look after them.That ability is either not common among boat owners, or seen as a skill set that there is not time to acquire.

There have been lots of hamster wheel threads on here debating the easiest ways to wreck Lead Acid batteries, but they all apply to Traction batteries, "leisure " batteries and starter batteries.

I expect that in a few years we will be debating the "My Lithium batteries are knackered" threads.  The root causes of knackeredness will be identical to those for Lead Acids.  (Ill informed or apathetic users).  The symptoms and route to knackeredness will just look different.

In the meanwhile buy decent but not stratospherically priced leisure bats and , for holiday use, expect them to last 3-5 years,  with a reasonable charging regime

N

• Greenie 2

Available from Battery Megastore

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/hankook-xl31-leisure-battery/

I bought 4 from their ebay shop in April for £400 free delivery. Currently £407.44 for 4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-XL31-Deep-Cycle-Leisure-Battery-Caravan-Camper-12V-130AH-330x172x242mm-/254168569707?hash=item3b2da0976b

Heavy too (Good) 28.4 Kg each

Edited by Pennine
  • Greenie 1