Unfinished project

MrsM

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Only for Facebookers apparently. 

Really sorry. I'll try and cut and paste

For sale… 58” cruiser stern narrowboat. An unfinished project. What is effectively a new shell, built by Nick Thorpe, and supplied at the beginning of 2018. Dry stored since delivery. She has all the nice refinements normally found on a NT boat, such as integral handrails, self-draining decks, twisted cabin handrail details, etc. Very well made boat with all of the external welding smoothed out for that superior finish. 2 coats of International Intertuff applied to the hull and grey primer to cabin.

Ballasted with concrete commons and fitted with a full Acoyya/Medite support joists and floor boarding. Acoyya comes with 50 above ground/25 year in fresh water warranty - https://www.accoya.com/uk/

It is a fully sustainable (FSC & C2C Gold Certified) manufactured hardwood that is dimensionally stable, heavily mold resistance and inert to insects. All fully coated in Technoseal protective treatment. Not your normal standard marine ply, but a far superior product guaranteed for many years to come. 

Windows, supplied by Caldwells, are all double glassed, frames with thermal break and finished in Ultrachrome Powder coat.  Glass is clear apart from the bathroom which is frosted. They are supplied with the boat but are not currently fitted.

All fixtures, fittings and materials used are of the highest quality as I only wanted to do it once and so everything has been designed to last many years or be easily replaceable.

I have invoices for over £40000. Your chance to jump the build queues and acquire a top-notch quality hull at a significant reduction in price.

58” Hull - (£17400)

• Diesel tank

• Integral handrail on the edge of cabin or inboard cruiser style

• Well deck / tug deck

• All rubbing strakes welded top and bottom

• Steel front doors

• Steel back door with 2ft or 2 ½ ft hatch

• 1 set of steel side doors

• Vented gas bottle locker

• Keel cooler

• Bow and stern fender eyes

• T studs

• Central roof ring

• Self-draining decks

• Quick release weed hatch

• Cut outs for windows / portholes

• Anodes

• Cabin / twisted handrail detail

• grey primer to cabin

• 2 coats International Intertuff to hull

• Tube and locker ready for bow thruster

Fitted with the following:-

• Fully fitted Barrus 45 4-cylinder engine and PRM 150 gearbox which comes with stern tube greaser and a Centa flex coupling including starter battery. Fitted with a Hospital ultra-quiet silencer.  – (£8370)

• Supplied from Barrus with twin alternators, 1 x 12v (engine start) and 1 x 24v alternator (electrical supply)

• 24v wiring loom. Supplied but not fitted – (£1776.63)

• Windows (Supplied but not yet fitted) are all Thermal Break, Double glazed finished in Ultrachrome powder coat and clear glass, Bathroom glass frosted. – (£4682)

• The floor is 4 x 1 ½ Accoya rails and 18mm Tricoya/Medite sheets secured with stainless steel screws. – (£2200)

• Accoya/Tricoya/Medite comes with a 50 Year above ground warranty & 25 Year warranty in ground or fresh water. https://www.accoya.com/uk/

• The side battening consists of 2 x 1 tanalised laths with the roof edges being 6 x 1. The sprayfoam insulation will be a minimum of 25mm to hull and 20mm to cabin sides. – (£2430)

• Ballasted with concrete commons.

• 75ltr Vertical calorifier, fitted. – (£600)

• 130ltr Fresh water tank, fitted. – (£540)

Offers over £30000.

Any questions please ask.

Viewing by appointment only. Located in the North East. Cranage and delivery to be discussed.

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

Can't see anything unless you are a member of that Group

It's an "unfinished project" Graham - use your imagination (or your memory of other horrors you've seen)! :icecream:

Although now we have the description, it does rather suggest this may be an exception. :)

• Haha 1

The Facebook group is called "Narrowboats for sale". We are hunting so I've basically signed up to everything I could find. Wish we could consider a project but we are serial house renovators and just want a boat we can use straight away. 

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It's an "unfinished project" Graham - use your imagination (or your memory of other horrors you've seen)! :icecream:

Although now we have the description, it does rather suggest this may be an exception. :)

I'm suspecting that these terrible times we are going through might mean that some people are struggling to finish projects they started. 

Edited by MrsM
Grammar!

22 minutes ago, MrsM said:

For sale… 58” cruiser stern narrowboat. An unfinished project.

One would hope that they have been building it in accordance with the RCD requirements to the current stage of build, otherwise he cannot sell it.

Since 2017 a "part built boat" or "Sailaway" has to meet the requirements of a 'finished boat'.

Hopefully, whoever buys it is aware of the law.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One would hope that they have been building it in accordance with the RCD requirements to the current stage of build, otherwise he cannot sell it.

Since 2017 a "part built boat" or "Sailaway" has to meet the requirements of a 'finished boat'.

Hopefully, whoever buys it is aware of the law.

Advisable indeed for the buyer to be aware, but it will be the seller who may be committing an offence. Buying a boat which doesn't comply with the RCD is perfectly legal, although the buyer will then have to complete it and own it for 5 years thereafter (unless he gets RCD certification for the work already done, as well as that yet to do).  

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Advisable indeed for the buyer to be aware, but it will be the seller who may be committing an offence. Buying a boat which doesn't comply with the RCD is perfectly legal, although the buyer will then have to complete it and own it for 5 years thereafter (unless he gets RCD certification for the work already done, as well as that yet to do).  

Indeed , it the buyer finished and tried to sell it 2 years later it would be an offence if it was not compliant.

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed , it the buyer finished and tried to sell it 2 years later it would be an offence if it was not compliant.

In reality though Alan has anyone ever at all been convicted over this stupid law? My widebeam was about 3 years old when I bought it with no RCD and sold it instantly at full market price still with no RCD about 4 years later, that was five years ago ish.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In reality though Alan has anyone ever at all been convicted over this stupid law? My widebeam was about 3 years old when I bought it with no RCD and sold it instantly at full market price still with no RCD about 4 years later, that was five years ago ish.

Only if the new buyer 3 years from now finds a pigs ear somewhere and goes to trading standards

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Manufacturers have been charged and fined for selling non-compliant boats.

I have posted links every time we have had this to & fro.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Only if the new buyer 3 years from now finds a pigs ear somewhere and goes to trading standards

The thing is it was built on a standard shell with a standard vetus engine and mastervolt kit etc etc etc. I doubt hull or engine makers build different spec for non compliant boats. Its a bloody nonsense probably brought in by some government that doesnt understand boats.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Manufacturers have been charged and fined for selling non-compliant boats.

I have posted links every time we have had this to & fro.

Any private builders and sellers?

If I was looking for a sailaway again ( I am not)  I would definitely consider this worth a look. If it was for my own use I would build to RCD but not bother with Declaration of Conformity unless I needed to sell it. Probably be academic after we have been out of the EU for a few years.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Any private builders and sellers?

None that I know of.

As you know I am not averse, having bought "The Cat" with missing RCD compliance paperwork and no VAT paid certificate.

I still think that new buyers should be made aware of the law so they can at least make an informed decision.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

None that I know of.

As you know I am not averse, having bought "The Cat" with missing RCD compliance paperwork and no VAT paid certificate.

I still think that new buyers should be made aware of the law so they can at least make an informed decision.

Why have you trademarked the name of your boat?

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Because a registered trademark protects my brand, and provides me with the tools to prevent someone using similar signs and 'riding off the back' of my name. 

But it's just your boat. You don't use it for business, do you?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How about this then :

"The Cat"©

Better ?

Sadly, I believe that you cannot copyright a name.

In any event, copyright vests with the creator/author which I suspect might not be you! (especially as you have oft talked about how you acquired the vessel . . .)

21 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Sadly, I believe that you cannot copyright a name.

In any event, copyright vests with the creator/author which I suspect might not be you! (especially as you have oft talked about how you acquired the vessel . . .)

I'm not sure of the relevance of 'how I acquired' her - and anyway, her name was "Bezimeni" which is Croatian (and several other 'Eastern' languages) for "Nameless" or "No Name" so no worries about a 'name change'.

She does still sport her Croatian registration number (which we were supposed to remove after de-registration & leaving Croatian waters).

Europe does take 'boating' much more seriously than we do, the Boat has to be registered and the skipper qualified (and have a licence) to the correct level to be Master of that boat.

When we bought her we had to apply to the Governments 'Minister of Maritime Affairs' for her to be de-registered, this had to go to Parliament and be agreed and we subsequently got a certificate saying we could take her.

It was all very formal with a multipage document with translation all bound with string, sealed and stamped.

I thought this all went out with the Victorians.

Screenshot (246).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield