Glastron Carlson narrowboat builder?

Featured Posts

Hey all,

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to find out a bit more about my boat. Initially the surveyor thought it was a Liverpool Boats shell but since buying it, I found a name plate/builders plate and it says "Glastron Carlson" and looking on the canal plan boat listing, it also shows it being built by Glastron Carlson. All I can find out about Glastron Carlson is they're an American company who make speed boats and can't seem to find any reference to them making narrowboats.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers!

May well be a Liverpool shell, with the builders plate indicating who fitted it out. 

Of course it's possible a previous owner just fancied putting the name of a prestigious speed boat builder on his bog-standard narrow boat. And that might be the only connection.

The Canalplan boat listing data is only the information supplied by the owner to CRT (or other navigation authority) when the boat was licenced, so is not an independent source of information.

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

A seemingly dumb question but -

is it a narrowboat in the acepted meaning of the style?

Or is it a narrow-type-boat - suc as a Highbridge cruiser?

No, it's an actual, proper narrowboat :)

This photo I found on a google search as I don't have one up to date. Interesting to see how it's changed in the 10 years since before I owned it.

1817533536_Screenshot2020-06-24at14_32_26.jpg.840c157928b71c276232f2a148d0a40e.jpg

Edited by NB Caelmiri

Just following on from that, I was chatting with my girlfriend last night about my plans to repaint it as it does need a bit of a tidy up after all this time (it's from 1990) and how I was thinking of painting it a new colour. She suggested I could change the name if I fancied, as I'd mentioned doing so in the past. But then it felt like if I did both those things, Caelmiri would come to an end, it'd be a new boat with a new name and paint. I'm not sure how I feel about that! Even though everything else would remain as it was.

3 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Just following on from that, I was chatting with my girlfriend last night about my plans to repaint it as it does need a bit of a tidy up after all this time (it's from 1990) and how I was thinking of painting it a new colour. She suggested I could change the name if I fancied, as I'd mentioned doing so in the past. But then it felt like if I did both those things, Caelmiri would come to an end, it'd be a new boat with a new name and paint. I'm not sure how I feel about that! Even though everything else would remain as it was.

And you'd have to change your forum Nom de Guerre.

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And you'd have to change your forum Nom de Guerre.

That too, more importantly. I actually don't mind the name now I know what it means, which apparently is Welsh for "Have fun" (Cael - Have, Miri - merriment/fun/joy)

24 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

No, it's an actual, proper narrowboat :)

This photo I found on a google search as I don't have one up to date. Interesting to see how it's changed in the 10 years since before I owned it.

1817533536_Screenshot2020-06-24at14_32_26.jpg.840c157928b71c276232f2a148d0a40e.jpg

That photo taken on the Leeds and Liverpool at Skipton (some years ago rom the look of the plaza in the background.

Roger

8 hours ago, Albion said:

That photo taken on the Leeds and Liverpool at Skipton (some years ago rom the look of the plaza in the background.

Roger

You are probably right, you can see the security chain on the  mooring ring going to the next boat

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You are probably right, you can see the security chain on the  mooring ring going to the next boat

That's the chain to secure permanently moored ice cream boat that has been there for some years and is under the management of its second owner. Nice ice creams and just starting to trade again after the Covid restrictions have been lifted.

Roger

• Haha 1