Sheet Brass Suppliers

Featured Posts

You can tell we are not used to having bits that need polishing! I have no idea where might be best to get a piece of thin brass to deal with this.

We have had the runners on the top slide over the engine 'ole replaced and this piece of scumbled ply is rotted out. We have seen a number of boats use a thin piece of brass to finish that edge. Does anyone know a good source to get it from? 

20200624_113314.jpg

Note that almost all modern brass is decidedly yellow and does not look quite as good as the old stuff.

If you are ever in Brum then its worth a walk to John Keatley Metals, its stepping back in time and you can get some bargains on a Friday afternoon. They cut to size for you and just weigh the results to get the price. They are not so competitive on mail order.  There are various eBay and on-line suppliers but note a Huge variation in prices. I have found "First Choice Metals" to be a good cheaper supplier.

..............Dave

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Consider stainless steel, easier still.

Aluminium or even plastic if thats your chosen route. ?

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

I can thoroughly recommend Steve Graham Sales of Littleborough for any metal supplies. They have a huge range on eBay under seller name sgsmetals. If eBay doesn't list the size you want just phone them and they will cut to size. Ebay prices include delivery, but its much cheaper if you collect. They are within walking distance of the Rochdale Canal (though perhaps not if you are collecting heavy bits of steel).

I have bought various bits of steel plate and angle and brass sheet from them in recent years.

http://stevegrahamsales.co.uk

17 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I would of thought stainless steel on a historical boat was an anathema. :captain:

I was just about to agree with you  - especially when anyone looking in the hatch is seeing this: 

82923513_102694464619422_400263983887548

Then I realised the water header tank and the header tank for the central heating are both in there and are both stainless steel!

Then again there are those who may think a conversion on a historic boat is an anathema ;) 

I guess it is down to choice 

3 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I was just about to agree with you  - especially when anyone looking in the hatch is seeing this: 

82923513_102694464619422_400263983887548

Then I realised the water header tank and the header tank for the central heating are both in there and are both stainless steel!

Then again there are those who may think a conversion on a historic boat is an anathema ;) 

I guess it is down to choice 

Paint them green and who will notice. :D