Spot The Colour?

Featured Posts

From the book The Railway Interchange Trade it appears some L.M.S. boats had a circle  or two on the bow. I know Manchurian had a black circle in a previous incarnation but have also seen a circle in red on another boat (do not recall which boat or even whether it had any relation to L.M.S. so I am a bit rubbish really!) 

Does anyone know if these circles were black or another colour and what their relevance was as not all old photos show L.M.S. boats with any decoration on the bow at all. 

20200624_111607.jpg

Colours of the Cut by E P T suggests the circles were black and may have denoted a "Fly Boat" of the Shropshire Union under the governance of The London & North Western Railway, predecessors of the LMS.

"The boats carried a single black disc on the top bend forward of the 'eyes' of a Shropshire Union boat."

Edited by Ray T

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Colours of the Cut by E P T suggests the circles were black and may have denoted a "Fly Boat" of the Shropshire Union under the governance of The London & North Western Railway, predecessors of the LMS.

"The boats carried a single black disc on the top bend forward of the 'eyes' of a Shropshire Union boat.

Thank you

We do have that book but it is at home and we are not 

I have a vague recollection of discussing this with E P T, but that was after I published the book. Certainly ex SU flyboats did end up in the station boat trade.

The general opinion of Edward at the time was that that symbols were used as a form of language for boatmen who could not read.   

12 hours ago, Heartland said:

I have a vague recollection of discussing this with E P T, but that was after I published the book. Certainly ex SU flyboats did end up in the station boat trade.

The general opinion of Edward at the time was that that symbols were used as a form of language for boatmen who could not read.   

Thank you

On 29/06/2020 at 17:35, Heartland said:

Delhi doing her impression of a Shroppie Flyboat:

106508524_10158263879669070_888009347888

Nice to tie up at a former LMS wharf even if it isn't one she would have been using during her working years