It’s been amazing how many people have said “Hi Neil”

huami

Featured Posts

Hi Rob,

You see what I mean! ... People just say "Hi Neil" ... It's amazing!

I don't know how they know it's me!

I hope you are well and having a great day now that we have been allowed out again.

IMG_20200611_113952.jpg

Morning Neil

Nice to hear your update and to see you're venturing up to God's own country ( Yorkshire ) As a single handed boater myself, you'll soon get used to using the rivers and canals by yourself. You are unfortunately heading towards several problems though. At the moment there is a problem with Selby lock having silted up, so you might not get out to York. Also with the figure of three locks on the Calder and Hebble being long term 'broken', You can't get over the Pennines  viat the Rochdale or the Huddersfield. That leaves the Leeds/Liverpool, but that is also having problems with a lack of water!!

Anyway, keep enjoying the lovely Chesterfield canal and have fun turning on to the Stainford and Keadby canal at Keadby lock - follow the instructions from the lockies.

Glad you're enjoying ?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Lovely to read your reply and Yes, Yorkshire … where I was born hundreds of years ago in Scarborough. Unfortunately, they haven’t dug a canal to Scarborough yet but who knows?

I thought it funny when you said “At the moment there is a problem with Selby lock having silted up, so you might not get out to York” … Hey, I have just swam through millions of litres of slimy green “Ambrosia Creamed Rice pudding” here in the Chesterfield canal. Four times cleaning the propeller in the weed hatch and lots of reverse thrust blow backs to be able to proceed another few meters. It’s amazing how nature reclaims the waterways within a few weeks.

Have fun and I look forward to saying hello sometime.

Neil

Well done Neil,

Especially on getting all the way to Norwood tunnel. A lot of boaters who visit the Chesterfield don't do the lock flight and summit level. In my opinion, they are missing the best bit of the (currently) connected canal and one of the finest stretches of canal in the country. Good luck with your continuing journey.

Jen ?

31 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Well done Neil,

Especially on getting all the way to Norwood tunnel. A lot of boaters who visit the Chesterfield don't do the lock flight and summit level. In my opinion, they are missing the best bit of the (currently) connected canal and one of the finest stretches of canal in the country. 

Absolutely agree. But judging by the state of the last few hundred yards, most boaters who do make it through all the locks just go as far as the last winding hole, and don't push on to the tunnel mouth. Which you really ought to do, even though you have to come back backwards.

Hi Jen,

Your profile picture reminds me of my hair when I look in the mirror.

21 weeks since I had a haircut (but think of the money I have saved!).

34 locks were quite an initiation and then to realize that you have to turn around and do it all again!

It certainly is a beautiful stretch of canal and I'm sure once a few boats start moving again the weed problem will get better.

Have a great day,

Neil

IMG_20200621_112423.jpg

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Absolutely agree. But judging by the state of the last few hundred yards, most boaters who do make it through all the locks just go as far as the last winding hole, and don't push on to the tunnel mouth. Which you really ought to do, even though you have to come back backwards.

The last bit has to be done, if for no other reason than to apply for the Chesterfield Canal Trust head of navigation brass plaque. Iron Snail with bow fender knocking on the door of Norwood Tunnel.

IMGP0824.JPG.bd675e6d92c2adb19d09734f723dc2ec.JPG

1 minute ago, Gayzingalone said:

Your profile picture reminds me of my hair when I look in the mirror.

That picture was taken before lock down! Three months of no hairdresser visits now.

• Greenie 1

Hi Restlessnomad,

Nice to see you again and I'm sure you must also be looking forward to the future after our confinement.

Your profile name comes across as someone who just likes to move at your pace and possibly without any specific destination (?) 

After buying the boat at least I had plenty of time to do all the things I wanted to do before setting off.

Have a great day,

Neil

This photo was taken in the middle of a torrential rain storm on the Trent.

IMG-20200618-WA0000.jpg

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi Restlessnomad,

Nice to see you again and I'm sure you must also be looking forward to the future after our confinement.

Your profile name comes across as someone who just likes to move at your pace and possibly without any specific destination (?) 

After buying the boat at least I had plenty of time to do all the things I wanted to do before setting off.

Have a great day,

Neil

This photo was taken in the middle of a torrential rain storm on the Trent.

IMG-20200618-WA0000.jpg

Can't have been all that torrential, you can still see the boat!

20 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Can't have been all that torrential, you can still see the boat!

Hi Doratheeexplorer,

WoW! Nice to see you again.

Possibly it was a short break in the rain that my traveling companion in the other boat manged to take a quick photo.

One thing I did need to leave down was my new Parasol or I might have taken to flight!

Have a lovely day

Neil

20200521_171520.jpg

It's Beal lock on the River Aire that's silted up
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices?waterway[]=AI&waterway[]=RO&waterway[]=SE&start-date=24%2F06%2F2020&start-date_submit=24%2F06%2F2020&end-date=01%2F07%2F2020&end-date_submit=01%2F07%2F2020&type[]=1&order-field=startDateTime&order-direction=descending#form

You could always pick a very calm day and come round Trent Falls but it needs to be very calm. Having done it in an upstream wind over tide gale I would say it's exhilarating at least.

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Nice to see you travel with your fenders down

Brian, don't be naughty :-). You are just hoping that Neils fenders come off and you get some more to add to your collection! Neil, just for info, fenders are usually just used for protecting the side of the boat when you are moored and leaving them down when you are cruising or locking can cause damage to your paintwork or the boat being jammed in a lock.

Glad you are enjoying your boat, Neil. 

haggis

51 minutes ago, haggis said:

Brian, don't be naughty :-). You are just hoping that Neils fenders come off and you get some more to add to your collection! Neil, just for info, fenders are usually just used for protecting the side of the boat when you are moored and leaving them down when you are cruising or locking can cause damage to your paintwork or the boat being jammed in a lock.

Glad you are enjoying your boat, Neil. 

haggis

Thanks Haggis,

As I always say "I'm learning as I go along" and I didn't know that (but I do now). 

As for "damage to your paintwork"  .. Ohh I manage that without any help!

Anyway, thanks for your constructive comments and I wish you a lovely day.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Saw you go past my house & boat on the Coventry canal a couple of weeks ago.

I couldn't get outside quick enough to shout "hello" before you had  disappeared  under the bridge.

Perhaps next time you pass we can say hello.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Hi Neil,

Saw you go past my house & boat on the Coventry canal a couple of weeks ago.

I couldn't get outside quick enough to shout "hello" before you had  disappeared  under the bridge.

Perhaps next time you pass we can say hello.

WoW!

That would be great.

So you live in an beautiful location on the canal.

I look forward to hearing you shout hello Neil ...

Have a lovely day

Neil

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Nice to see you travel with your fenders down

I was thinking that......

.....but wasn't going to say anything.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

On a river, some of the plastic Gin palaces insist on it!!

Does anyone else on the Thames play the 'Count the Fender' game?

• Greenie 1