Jet propulsion in Standedge Tunnel

Heartland

Featured Posts

There was a narrow boat called Marsden that was used for tunnel inspections in the 1950's in the Huddersfield Canal Standedge Tunnel. It had a novel form of propulsion, being a conventional un-powered craft the engineers had provided a diesel pump that pumped  canal water through a pipe and then returned the water to the canal through another pipe, That second pipe provided the means of propulsion. Does any body know what happened to Marsden ? 

Edited by Heartland

Marsden was sunk near the eastern end of the Tunnel until about 25 years ago. Later removed to the bank  outside the cottages where it rotted away and as far as I know no longer in existence.

Members of the Railway& Canal Historical Society had at least one trip through the tunnel  on Marsden about 1960, Magpie Patrick will have more information about this. IIRC, the "jet" pump was petrol powered with plenty of carbon monoxide exhaust output combined  with smoke and steam in the tunnel from the connected (then) steam railway tunnels.The tunnel light  was a "Tilley" pressurized paraffin floodlamp contributing  even more CO. Pictures exist of this exciting trip and remarkably, everybody aboard survived to tell the tale.

• Greenie 1

As can be seen from the above photographs, Marsden was getting past its sell by date.

The following requires verification :

British Waterways were looking for a replacement for Marsden. It so happened that the  wooden maintenance boat "Mary" had undergone major rebuilding at Gorton Depot, around 1955(?)

Within a short time  of rebuilding, the Mary was subject to an arson attack while on the Stockport Branch at Reddish, the stern end  and cabin was badly damaged and the boat sank. It was taken back to Gorton and the damaged parts were cut off, a crude transom stern fastened on and small cabin built, the boat length now being around 45ft and re-named "Saddleworth" This being the district of Yorkshire (pre 1974) at the west end of Standedge. It would have been necessary to take the boat to the tunnel by road- not that difficult for a shortened boat. For reasons unknown,  this boat was taken from Gorton Depot and out to the mainline of the Ashton Canal near to Lock 7 where it  eventually sank at it's mooring. Saddleworth was eventually  broken up where it sank during  the restoration of the canal in the early 1970s. Never made it to Standedge, later Tunnel inspections were carried out from a GRP(?) dinghy, until even that became difficult due to roof falls blocking the channel.

Well I suppose Pluto and myself have a better knowledge of RCHS affairs that Patrick

And thanks for the updated notes. My interest on this occasion was roused by a search on the activities of Divisional Engineer, Alexander Muir- White.

The RCHS had a visit 28th April 1962. This image from the Gardiner Collection shows the lamp-

67090.jpg

Magpie the elder and the Magpie Mum were on one such trip - there are photos somewhere in his slide collection, when the great digisation project is underway I may come across them, but don't hold your breath! I didn't know it was RCHS

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Well I suppose Pluto and myself have a better knowledge of RCHS affairs that Patrick

Very probably true, I am the spring chicken of the Management Committee, but I'm not quite sure what your point is?   

5 hours ago, Pluto said:

RCHS Tunnel trip 15-4-1961, l. G Biddle, centre A P Voce (with beret), Manchester Guardian.jpg

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I'm guessing those must be lamps on the left, but they remind me of wind-up gramaphones!

The lantern on the far left is a Tllley AL8, mostly used as a trackwork lamp.  Bit disappointing really, as Tilley made models particularly for use in tunnels.

The larger lantern (not in this picture) is an FL6.  Don't know what the other lamp in the above picture is; I suspect it is a nasty electric gadget supplied by the funny box close to it 

21 hours ago, billh said:

Marsden was sunk near the eastern end of the Tunnel until about 25 years ago. Later removed to the bank  outside the cottages where it rotted away and as far as I know no longer in existence.

Is this the remains?

Some conservation seems to be going on in May1984 ...

spacer.png

... but grass seems to be taking over in Oct1987

spacer.png

On 23/06/2020 at 17:45, Heartland said:

There was a narrow boat called Marsden that was used for tunnel inspections in the 1950's in the Huddersfield Canal Standedge Tunnel. It had a novel form of propulsion, being a conventional un-powered craft the engineers had provided a diesel pump that pumped  canal water through a pipe and then returned the water to the canal through another pipe, That second pipe provided the means of propulsion. Does any body know what happened to Marsden ? 

As always, there is nothing new under the sun.

As a firefighter in Antwerp docks in WWII, my father was using just such a setup to get to fires.  Being a firepump they were using, it got there FAST!

The newspaper account of the Huddersfield Canal Boat, MARSDEN said the speed was 1 mph. It was faster to leg it apparently.

Speaking about Mr Magpie senior, how is IAN?

As to billth's comments I was long term West Midlands Group Secretary for the RCHS and a long term RCHS council member and have been involved in the organisation of 3 AGM's. Presently I am WM Group chairmain, although most of the work is done by the very capable secretary Ted Cheers.

Edited by Heartland

4 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The newspaper account of the Huddersfield Canal Boat, MARSDEN said the speed was 1 mph. It was faster to leg it apparently.

Speaking about Mr Magpie senior, how is IAN

Thank you Ray

If I may hijack your thread for a moment to update - Ian Moss, mine and @1st ade father, went into hospital in November, and has not since returned home - he is now in Marple Dale Care Centre, in good health but increasingly infirm, he can only get in and out of bed with two assistants and a hoist in attendance. 

After initially rebelling and then getting very bored in lockdown, he has now taken to reading canal, railway and political history books from cover to cover! He has continued in his role on the NW RCHS via phone and email, and I expect he will be logged into the RCHS virtual AGM when the time comes.

Dad may be in his late eighties, his mind and memory seem determined not to grow old, he has given one railway talk in the home, we delivered slides for him to do it. He told us where to find them in the house "green box with gold trim, I had it out and left it in the lounge..."

Thanks  for that

Give him my regards. As I finish off this Trent & Mersey Book, I am reminded of him at Froghall telling WM and NW group members about the four Caldon Low tramways/ railways, and if I recall correctly one the first to identify James Trubshaw's involvement in canal matters.

Ted and I a presently digitising old WM group tour notes to place on the RCHS Website, by the way. 

• Greenie 1

On 25/06/2020 at 13:21, Heartland said:

Speaking about Mr Magpie senior, how is IAN?

As to billth's comments I was long term West Midlands Group Secretary for the RCHS and a long term RCHS council member and have been involved in the organisation of 3 AGM's. Presently I am WM Group chairmain, although most of the work is done by the very capable secretary Ted Cheers.

Ha! The information about RCHS and Marsden above was mostly a result of listening to one of Ian's  lectures a few years ago. he showed similar pictures(maybe  the same ones?).

Earlier this year I was co-opted  as consulting engineer to  a scheme for Ian's internal transport at the Marple care centre, with a customer specification for it to be "economical". That sadly didn't work out, the proposed electric vehicle had been too long in storage .

23 minutes ago, billh said:

Ha! The information about RCHS and Marsden above was mostly a result of listening to one of Ian's  lectures a few years ago. he showed similar pictures(maybe  the same ones?).

Earlier this year I was co-opted  as consulting engineer to  a scheme for Ian's internal transport at the Marple care centre, with a customer specification for it to be "economical". That sadly didn't work out, the proposed electric vehicle had been too long in storage .

Ah! I think I've worked out who you are!

Thank you for your efforts in that regard - we are so glad something got sorted for dad before lockdown struck us - I got his room set up, 1st Ade got a new lap set up and online, and he got his electric wheelchair :) 

16 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Ah! I think I've worked out who you are!

Thank you for your efforts in that regard - we are so glad something got sorted for dad before lockdown struck us - I got his room set up, 1st Ade got a new lap set up and online, and he got his electric wheelchair :) 

And @billh I think you and a friend kept Dad occupied while I rewired his desk...

11 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

And @billh I think you and a friend kept Dad occupied while I rewired his desk...

Nope. wasn't me,I was at home watching Banana Splitz (q Mike Harding: "who knocked down the walls of Jericho?"?)

further explanation gets complicated.......