Jump to content

Unlimited data plan


Bewildered
 Share

Featured Posts

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones?id=1536&ds_rl=1238727&ds_rl=1238745&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpWunGrHOvxgBpOLgCasXcQ1dIJWPq_zZWiR6VOmb0WAJSUQnbiPvwkaAuC-EALw_wcB&aidset=1

3 are now offering an unlimited data plan for £11 for the first 6 months then £22 per month on a 24 month contract. Does anyone know if 3 still have a tethering cap, I don’t want this for a phone but for my mifi unit, would it work?

At present I have an EE 32gb for £14 per month on a rolling contract, I’m happy with EE coverage but their data plans are expensive. The £14 was a deal on a £32 contract about 4 years ago. I also have a phone on EE with 12gb of data that I transfer to the Mifi unit using the EEapp I was wondering if it would prove more cost effective to get the three chip and a cheaper EE contract for the phone.

Anyone know of any better unlimited data deals?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I don’t want this for a phone but for my mifi unit, would it work?

Is it the little square dongle with the yellow edge? I've got one of those, was thinking of getting onto their 100Gb @ £20 / month plan currently advertised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I don’t want this for a phone but for my mifi unit, would it work?

Mine has been in a router for a year, never been in a phone, no problems at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Percy said:

Is it the little square dongle with the yellow edge? I've got one of those, was thinking of getting onto their 100Gb @ £20 / month plan currently advertised.

For an extra £2 you get unlimited and as it is only £11 for the first 6 months you save £66. which means for the 2 year contract it costs a total of £462. Whereas £20 per month over the same two years is £480 for something that has a limit on it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea of unlimited data but would rather stay with EE so I had a quick look on the app and found a deal for my phone £18 for 100gig and unlimited calls, currently paying £19.75 for 12gig, as I can transfer data, via the EE app, from my phone to the Mifi and have 132gig a month, which is probably more that I will be able to use. I think I will stick with EE.

so please feel free to ignore this entire thread and also ignore the unnecessarily long ramble telling you to ingot it

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We moved from EE to Three in February and have not regretted it so far. Cheaper, unlimited data, and for the places we've been just as good coverage, in fact better in some places. It's noticable that whilst EE 3G is pretty useless, so if you couldn't get a 4G signal you got no data, with Three, the 3G signal still gives fast data in many places where 4G coverage is a bit patchy.

 

MP.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I moved from T-Mobile to Three on a 100Gb contract with phone, so far I'm not sure the coverage is that good, seems like half the time when I'm travelling I can't get a signal and use the data I've paid for, or even the phone sometimes. My partner's on Vodaphone with unlimited data, other day we watched a movie on the PC on the boat using his data and that worked fine. All things being equal I'd probably see if Vodaphone had any good deals next time.

Edited by Jonkx
Clarified text
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sir Percy said:

Is it the little square dongle with the yellow edge? I've got one of those, was thinking of getting onto their 100Gb @ £20 / month plan currently advertised.

I have just bought a new phone from Three with a 100Gb a month data plan for £30 a month for 2 years. In the contract, tethering is limited to 30Gb per month - this wasn't apparent in the sales blurb, so I was disappointed to find out, but it's still a good deal, so I didn't send it back. I'm unlikely to use more than 30Gb per month tethering.

 

My guess is that unlimited data will allow unlimited tethering, but I would find and read the small print before committing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I moved from EE to Giffgaff. 20 quid a month for 80gb data, they're on the O2 network so coverage is great and it's 5G too (I have a Samsung S20+ 5G phone) so when they finally get round to either fitting 5G masts or replacing the ones the 5G conspiracy idiots set alight, then I should have super fast Internet. Although it is pretty quick now. Oh and unlimited tethering. And I got a tenner refund for signing up two other people. And they suggested I choose a lower plan because I hardly used any of my 80gb data this month. Nice company. I'll stick with them. 

Screenshot_20200623-230935_Speedtest.jpg

Edited by NB Caelmiri
  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Makes a pretty vase stand. They have awful aerials,  very poor reception.

We have one, it's crap. As soon as we are back home,  going to get a Huawei B 535 router.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bewildered said:

I like the idea of unlimited data but would rather stay with EE so I had a quick look on the app and found a deal for my phone £18 for 100gig and unlimited calls, currently paying £19.75 for 12gig, as I can transfer data, via the EE app, from my phone to the Mifi and have 132gig a month, which is probably more that I will be able to use. I think I will stick with EE.

so please feel free to ignore this entire thread and also ignore the unnecessarily long ramble telling you to ingot it

We have a 3 unlimited for £22/m but it is not reliable enough around the south midlands so have retained our EE sim which I use 90% of the time. Changed it last year for if I remember 400 gb / m for £40. We do use a lot of data. The EE sim comes with its own router...a proper one ...not just a mifi Jobby.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

And they suggested I choose a lower plan because I hardly used any of my 80gb data this month

With Giffgaff you can change your tariff every month if you wish. When at home I am on the £8 month 2gb tariff when away that goes up to the same one you are on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use 3 for WiFi having fallen out with them many years ago I gave them another try. I have to say i'm quite impressed I have a proper router not a MiFi and use it at home. I've been able to download whilst on teams sessions and it has numerous devices connected. £22 a month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps it is time as boaters we need to conduct our own survey to find the best network.

something along the lines of marks out of 10 for:

Cut coverage:-

average 4g speed:-

pricing plan cost for data allowance:-

reliability:-

and any other subject headings for the average transient boater.

 

We did London to the peak forest, across to Llangollen and most of the Midlands with a tiny 4inch external antenna on EE and had coverage 95% of the time, it wasn’t until the South Oxford that I had to get a bigger antenna and mount it on a long pole. 

When reading through it seems that experience of data signals and networks are very mixed. Some sort of more concise info suiting boaters needs would be helpful rather than reading ramblings contained within each post.

but then who has the time, skills and inclination to attempt such a task

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Perhaps it is time as boaters we need to conduct our own survey to find the best network.

something along the lines of marks out of 10 for:

Cut coverage:-

average 4g speed:-

pricing plan cost for data allowance:-

reliability:-

and any other subject headings for the average transient boater.

 

We did London to the peak forest, across to Llangollen and most of the Midlands with a tiny 4inch external antenna on EE and had coverage 95% of the time, it wasn’t until the South Oxford that I had to get a bigger antenna and mount it on a long pole. 

When reading through it seems that experience of data signals and networks are very mixed. Some sort of more concise info suiting boaters needs would be helpful rather than reading ramblings contained within each post.

but then who has the time, skills and inclination to attempt such a task

We have two phones on different networks - this choice dates back some years when the coverage was very different. Nowadays we do not find much difference and rarely no reception. There are some places where it is a bit limited, depending on how many connections are made to a limited base station, but again that is much less frequent but still does depend on time of day.

 

We use three for our main data connection (the deal came with unlimited Netflix which got us signed up to that alternative form of 'entertainment'. We have rarely not been able to stream in an evening. No idea what it is like during the daytime!

 

We had been planning (when we last saw our boat) that our first main trip would take us down the Oxford so we could have checked out what was a well known dead spot around Lower Heyford but so far we have not been able to  . . . 

  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

We had been planning (when we last saw our boat) that our first main trip would take us down the Oxford so we could have checked out what was a well known dead spot around Lower Heyford but so far we have not been able to  . . . 

I can confirm that Lower Heyford is still a dead spot, hence the reason for my antenna on a 15ft pole. Had a mooring there and bugger all signal until the antenna was higher up then all phone calls were over the WiFi 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

With Giffgaff you can change your tariff every month if you wish. When at home I am on the £8 month 2gb tariff when away that goes up to the same one you are on.

I think I'll be doing that this month, used 7gb of my 80gb. Interesting approach to business - letting their customers know how they can not give them money. Good on them. That's how you keep customers rather than try and rinse every last bean out of them.

Edited by NB Caelmiri
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just updated my plan with EE.

Apparently the 100gig deal for £18 was only for adding an extra sim to your account. So I ended up changing to 100gig for £20 inc,vat

for the phone and changed my 32gig WiFi sim onto a 5gig deal. Each upgrade gave me a 1gig bonus so I now get 107 gig for £27.23 inc Vat instead of previously getting 44gig for around £44 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.