Board Replacement

Joel_C

Featured Posts

Hi all, recently bought a trad stern narrowboat with rotten back boards which need replacements cutting.

Going to go for marine ply of the same thickness as the original boards unless anyone on here has a better/ more standard suggestion?

2nd part is just a quick enquiry about the insulation we found under the stern boards over the engine- is this for heat insulation to prevent the boards from engine heat? What would you guys recommend for this sort of insulation?

Cheers all

2 minutes ago, Joel_C said:

Hi all, recently bought a trad stern narrowboat with rotten back boards which need replacements cutting.

Going to go for marine ply of the same thickness as the original boards unless anyone on here has a better/ more standard suggestion?

2nd part is just a quick enquiry about the insulation we found under the stern boards over the engine- is this for heat insulation to prevent the boards from engine heat? What would you guys recommend for this sort of insulation?

Cheers all

The *insulation* will most likely be sound insulation..

I am due to replace my rotten 40 year old deckboards this week. I will be using WISA hexagrip

58 minutes ago, PhilR said:

The *insulation* will most likely be sound insulation..

I am due to replace my rotten 40 year old deckboards this week. I will be using WISA hexagrip

Hexagrip is, in my opinion, a better board. I believe theres a difference in price though.

On 23/06/2020 at 15:03, Tony Brooks said:

Buffalo board - several topics n here about it.

I suspect the insulation is to deaden sound so you need proper fire resistant sound deadening foam. Midland Chandlers used to sell it, probably still do.

I asked Midland Chandlers Braunstone, approx 18 months ago, if they sold it but they didn't however they suggested the yard next door who said they could  supply this board. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company but I'm sure others on here could supply that info. 

9 hours ago, reg said:

I asked Midland Chandlers Braunstone, approx 18 months ago, if they sold it but they didn't however they suggested the yard next door who said they could  supply this board. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company but I'm sure others on here could supply that info. 

Are you talking about the board or the insulation? I bought a sheet of sound insulation from MC a good number of years ago and that is what I was talking about. There are better types of sound insulation than that I bought from MC though.

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you talking about the board or the insulation? I bought a sheet of sound insulation from MC a good number of years ago and that is what I was talking about. There are better types of sound insulation than that I bought from MC though.

Sorry I should of made myself clearer I was referring to the board. Should also of made it clearer, because I chose not to pursue it, that I am not sure which brand they sell.

Edited by reg