Open again?

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Peter Thornton said:

Johnson on his feet at the moment announcing the great unlocking. Very significantly, he is implying that the various measures ref social distancing, meeting up etc will become "advice' rather than law.

This has nothing to do with Johnson or the virus 

Pubs are to be allowed to re- open because they were going to anyway

Schools remain closed because (overworked) teachers won't play ball even though the "little darlings" are running riot and stopping their now well fed up Mums and Dads returning to work and seriously affecting the economy.

The economy is the only driver here not the virus or public safety

Why these furlough schemes are going on for so long for so many sectors is beyond me - yes there is clearly a need but not as widely as its being abused - the construction sector is using it to buy time until the property market coughs itself back into life but with 15% deposits being the norm that ain't going to happen anytime soon.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Schools remain closed because (overworked) teachers won't play ball even though the "little darlings" are running riot and stopping their now well fed up Mums and Dads returning to work and seriously affecting the economy.

Do get your facts right.  Virtually all schools are open to the extent the government asked for.   September may be a little more difficult as most classrooms aren't big enough for 1m let alone 1m+

However I am sure a way will be found even if it means hiring halls etc.

With regard to the kids running riot - good it might make some parents more able to realise the reports from school about bad behaviuor are actually correct.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

............teachers allowed (facts are right)

Teachers agreed the situation in their school was safe.   Even when not in a pandemic workplaces have to be safe.  Nothing to do with allowing.

Can I ask what knowledge and experience you personally have of teaching?

37 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Teachers agreed the situation in their school was safe.   Even when not in a pandemic workplaces have to be safe.  Nothing to do with allowing.

Can I ask what knowledge and experience you personally have of teaching?

We appreciate the Conservative Government need ministers spouting the CovidBible even if some lies and untruths are embedded within.

However, this forum can differentiate between reality , common sense and bullshit fairly well thankyou, so your continued support of Matt Poppycock and Michael Goves arse licking matron like speeches may well be viewed similarly by those with no portfolio to lose and a knowledge of life and science outside No10.

Thankyou

..and thankyou Arthur, my comment wasnt specifically aimed at the teaching comments (I know how hard they have been working and how challenging this has been for them)

but Jerras constant .Gov line on everything.

Edited by matty40s

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Schools have never closed. Teachers have never stopped working, they've been contacting kids via email and internet, running distance learning, rewriting lessons so they work that way.  Round here, they've been opening at 7am to keep the breakfast club going that feeds a stack of kids from the local estate.  Schools have been teaching NHS and essential worker's kids as well as a stack of the disadvantaged ones.  It's as ignorant a comment as saying teaching is a cushy job because they get such long holidays - so cushy that loads leave every year because the pressure on any home life is just too much - most teachers do about three hours work a night at home and at weekends.

The government thinks that schools are basically just childcare so their parents can go out to work. There's actually a bit more to it than that.

Well said that man.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We appreciate the Conservative Government need ministers spouting the CovidBible even if some lies and untruths are embedded within.

However, this forum can differentiate between reality , common sense and bullshit fairly well thankyou, so your continued support of Matt Poppycock and Michael Goves arse licking matron like speeches may well be viewed similarly by those with no portfolio to lose and a knowledge of life and science outside No10.

Thankyou

And can I ask what knowledge and experience you personally have of teaching?

Just now, matty40s said:

Thankyou

Have you been taking something or drinking?    Where have I supported the government in any way shape or form?   

The post you have replied to was me merely pointing out that teachers have not delayed the opening of schools.   Having been involved in a number it has been a case of either "we are using the LEA's risk assessment"   "Fine we have seen and agreed it is OK"  or "here is our risk assessment" followed by ""OK" or "have you thought about ...."

It is IIRC correctly a legal requirement that unions are consulted or if no unions all the staff.

Teachers have been as keen as the government to get back to school as the government.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Have you been taking something or drinking?    Where have I supported the government in any way shape or form?   

The post you have replied to was me merely pointing out that teachers have not delayed the opening of schools.   Having been involved in a number it has been a case of either "we are using the LEA's risk assessment"   "Fine we have seen and agreed it is OK"  or "here is our risk assessment" followed by ""OK" or "have you thought about ...."

It is IIRC correctly a legal requirement that unions are consulted or if no unions all the staff.

Teachers have been as keen as the government to get back to school as the government.

I was making a general comment on your continued support of a detailed obedience of what the. GOV says is allowed and not allowed to happen whether sensible, needed or even "following the science"...as the .Gov hasnt done.

It just so happens I am online at the same time as you tonight, nothing to do with mind bending substances or drink.

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Thankyou

..and thankyou Arthur, my comment wasnt specifically aimed at the teaching comments (I know how hard they have been working and how challenging this has been for them)

but Jerras constant .Gov line on everything.

Thank you so much for that post - it was so illuminating.

I had not realised that Jerra was so pro-Gov that it was most useful for you to point it out to those of us of a less vigilant nature.

Just so that I can be absolutely sure that I have read this thread correctly, can you just quite the post number in this thread where Jerra has been visibly (or even covertly) pro Gov?

I would not want to be drawn into an ad hominem contribution when it is not needed!

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Thank you so much for that post - it was so illuminating.

I had not realised that Jerra was so pro-Gov that it was most useful for you to point it out to those of us of a less vigilant nature.

Just so that I can be absolutely sure that I have read this thread correctly, can you just quite the post number in this thread where Jerra has been visibly (or even covertly) pro Gov?

I would not want to be drawn into an ad hominem contribution when it is not needed!

I hope he does because as you know I haven't written anything even vaguely supportive of the shower currently in power.

EDIT to add at least it will keep him out of mischief for a year or three combing the forum trying to find anything.      

Edited by Jerra

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

To get back on topic, I am looking into the precautions that will need to be applied to allow visitors back to the national arse. Will probably have to work out some socially distanced queueing arrangement for the gift shop and ban eye testing.

I'm just hoping that Auto Complete has been at work on that.......

• Haha 1

No no. The national arse. It was established in the forum years ago that my arse is a perfect polished peach held in trust for the nation. It's got a bicycle park and everything. God! This must go back 10-15 years! The arsemower is due for replacement soon too.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/06/2020 at 13:21, Naughty Cal said:

What is reopening in England?

Here is a reminder of what can reopen in England from 4 July - a week on Saturday:

• Hotels
  • Bed and Breakfast
  • Holiday homes
  • Campsites
  • Caravan parks
  • Boarding houses
  • Places of worship
  • Libraries
  • Workplace canteens
  • Bars
  • Pubs
  • Cinemas
  • Museums and galleries
  • Outdoor playgrounds
  • Funfairs
  • Theme parks
  • Amusement arcades
  • Model villages

If model villages are opening will the social distancing be to scale?

• Haha 3

Rather off topic,  but one thing that baffles me is when I see someone driving alone in their car, wearing a mask.  I realise that they might have stolen it (the car, that is), but it seems unlikely.  It seems as weird to me as those people who insist on wearing bike helmets when cycling on the towpath, though I suppose they could always run into a low bridge.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Rather off topic,  but one thing that baffles me is when I see someone driving alone in their car, wearing a mask.  I realise that they might have stolen it (the car, that is), but it seems unlikely.  It seems as weird to me as those people who insist on wearing bike helmets when cycling on the towpath, though I suppose they could always run into a low bridge.

It's to save them touching the mask and putting their snotty hand on somewhere you may touch. Laugh all you like but engage brain.

Edited by mark99

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry, I dont buy that one

It's OK, Mark just likes to make snotty ripostes to anything I write, he doesn't actually bother about whether he makes sense or not. It's because he objects to my politics, which he doesn't understand, even if that's totally irrelevant to the subject in hand. Some people are a little odd, even on here. I don't mind, I've put him on ignore now as I can't recall him ever writing anything worth reading.

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

It's to save them touching the mask and putting their snotty hand on somewhere you may touch. Laugh all you like but engage brain.

Bless

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's OK, Mark just likes to make snotty ripostes to anything I write, he doesn't actually bother about whether he makes sense or not. It's because he objects to my politics, which he doesn't understand, even if that's totally irrelevant to the subject in hand. Some people are a little odd, even on here. I don't mind, I've put him on ignore now as I can't recall him ever writing anything worth reading.

I take exception to that!! I consider myself as very odd thank you very much.