OIL LEAK BMC 1.8 FROM OIL CHANGE PUMP

Featured Posts

Hi all,

advice appreciated.  have a large oil loss from BL 1.8.  its going into bilges rather than tray.  realised its coming out the spout for the brass oil change pumpout bolted to side of engine.  this isnt above the engine tray.  

is this common?  what is the cause likely to be?  could it be some problem with engine or just need new pump?  engine starts and runs fine.

thanks.

It is advisable to have a tap below the pump to prevent this.

If this has only just started to happen, are the breathers on the engine blocked causing crankcase compression?

There is a breather on the forward port side plate under the exhaust heat exchanger and there may be another on the rocker cover box.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

3 minutes ago, JOE BLOGS said:

many thanks.  yes sudden.  sorry for my ignorance.  do you have advice or link to where these breathers are?

There is a breather on the forward port side plate under the exhaust heat exchanger and there may be another on the rocker cover box.

Look under the heat exchanger [ with water filler cap on? ] towards the front of the engine on the port side. There is a side cover held by 1 center bolt, the breather pipe stub is on this cover, may have a hose on which is kinked, may not. There is a gauze inside that can get carbonned up.

Try putting a pipe on it and blowing down it, it should be clear not blocked.

The manual with drawings is here.......https://www.asap-supplies.com/media/faq/132000-BMC-1.8-Manual.pdf

The oil cap should be a breather too but the side one is the main one. Some times the hose to the air filter is connected to it so an oiled up air filter may cause a problem.

Some oil filler caps on BMC B type engines included a breather and oil separating gauze and some did not. The breather on the side is the main one but some also had a pipe on the rocker cover. If yours does then you need to check that as well. You may have fitted a non-breather filler cap but if other breathers are clear that should not matter too much.

Don't want to worry you but the engine may be very worn. Take the oil filler off when the engien is running and hot. What puffs out and roughly how much?

23 minutes ago, JOE BLOGS said:

hi Tony 

many thanks. 

I think engine is ok.  never needs easy start and smoke at exhaust is invisible.   

photos of old filler cap.  new looks identical to me as a layperson.

That looks like the breather cap to be. The extra bulk hanging down house the gaze oil mist trap.

I asked about what is being blown out of the oil filler cap, not the exhaust. The difference in pressure of about 400 psi when starting to probably a thousand PSI or more when running is large so the running pressure may push far more gasses past the pistons and rings than just cranking. That is why I asked bout what comes out of the oil filler when running and hot.

many thanks.  I will run the engine and see what comes out the filler cap.  I havent done this yet.  how long should it run for and what would be normal to see?

dont know if relevant but oil pressure gauge shows about 40psi when hot.

2 minutes ago, JOE BLOGS said:

many thanks.  I will run the engine and see what comes out the filler cap.  I havent done this yet.  how long should it run for and what would be normal to see?

dont know if relevant but oil pressure gauge shows about 40psi when hot.

Get it to running temperature and fell for any air pulsing out of the filler. There is normally a little but if its too much the breather may not cope. If you can see anything but the merest haze in the air you have a problem.

How much oil is in the sump? grossly overfilled?  Does it come out in pulses? The reason for removing the oil filler cap is to release the considerable pressure in the bottom half of the engine that should not be there. If it sounds like an asthmatic warthog and is more than light puffs then something is not right.

19 minutes ago, JOE BLOGS said:

thanks.  oil level was spot on max.  after 2 hours of low rev cruising half of it was in the bilges!  no idea whether comes out impulses or not as had boards down.

I think Bee was refering to what comes out of the oil filler, not the pump

17 minutes ago, JOE BLOGS said:

dont think any oil came out the oil filler yesterday.  if it had it would have dripped onto the tray.  not run the engine yet with the cap out.

No one mentioned oil coming out of the filler. It might with a horribly worn engine but that does not appear to be yours. We are talking about gas pressure and fumes.

Check the breather that @Tracy D'arth told you about and then before and after that check see how much gas is coming up through the open oil filler.

1 hour ago, JOE BLOGS said:

many thanks.  thats what I will do.  sorry for my very basic knowledge.

Absolutely no need to apologise - we've all been there at some time.

The essential point that folks miss is that canal boats are not like cars  - there are no 'industry' standards (or werent). Whereas there good and bad ways of building a hull there was diddly squat when it comes to engines - and that applies to the trade. The next level down is 'the bloke who'll fit an engine for you' and that' very variable... 

1 hour ago, JOE BLOGS said:

many thanks.  thats what I will do.  sorry for my very basic knowledge.

Don't apologise, that is what we are here for and remember we all started knowing nothing. Its just some got into boats a very long time ago.