The South Oxford

Featured Posts

I'm certain I posted something last year about planning to do a cruise on the South Oxford because I was shocked and disappointed to be told it was a beer desert. But, since the pubs are closed, that doesn't matter so much - I'm just going to have to bring bottles :}

Anyway, back to the less important stuff: are the visitor moorings in Oxford in normally in great demand? And where can we walk the dog in relative peace and quiet once we reach the city itself?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

It gets busy. Today down in Oxford there are spaces but who knows when cruising proper starts, we do however always find a spot but always start looking around 11 am for one not 4 pm!! 

The bar at The Pig Place is now reopened as its all outside in a 4 acre field and a fab location with super home cooked food, nowt flash but very popular. Check the face book page apparently for opening times or pm me. Moorings available on site very occasionaly ( charge ) or free for 14 days bang opposite. Live bands sometimes. So its not a beer desert all the time lol.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It gets busy. Today down in Oxford there are spaces but who knows when cruising proper starts, we do however always find a spot but always start looking around 11 am for one not 4 pm!! 

The bar at The Pig Place is now reopened as its all outside in a 4 acre field and a fab location with super home cooked food, nowt flash but very popular. Check the face book page apparently for opening times or pm me. Moorings available on site very occasionaly ( charge ) or free for 14 days bang opposite. Live bands sometimes. So its not a beer desert all the time lol.

Sounds tempting Tim, now my Bloomin troublesome tooth has gone. A bit sad really, had it for many years.

Anyway, what’s the general opinion of going on the adventure of going Lechlade. We are at, not surprisingly to some, in Banbury. We need to get away, please let us get away. It seems to me that there’s a number of boats travelling South on the Oxford. Surely they’re not all going to Lechlade. Anyone have an opinion?

35 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Sounds tempting Tim, now my Bloomin troublesome tooth has gone. A bit sad really, had it for many years.

Anyway, what’s the general opinion of going on the adventure of going Lechlade. We are at, not surprisingly to some, in Banbury. We need to get away, please let us get away. It seems to me that there’s a number of boats travelling South on the Oxford. Surely they’re not all going to Lechlade. Anyone have an opinion?

I am staying put here for the summer now due to all this flu mularky. Quite a few boats about at present but far from busy. Get yer arse down here for some beer int garden. Did the tooth give way quickly this time :o

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Hardly an adventure - lovely locks with well balanced gates and handwheel paddles. Plenty of spaces to moor - but  no shops or pubs - unless you walk a fair distance.

EA have encased their locksides with safety netting to protect boaters from the public, but I've not heard of anything above Oxenford.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Going up to Lechlade is fab, the best bit of the Thames.  If we are ever allowed to stop overnight on the boat, that is where we will be going.  You don't get the big cruisers up there and it is easy to miss out the shit hole that is Oxford by going Dukes Cut, what's not to like.  Oh, and other than at Lechlade, lots of free moorings on fields.

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Going up to Lechlade is fab, the best bit of the Thames.  If we are ever allowed to stop overnight on the boat, that is where we will be going.  You don't get the big cruisers up there and it is easy to miss out the shit hole that is Oxford by going Dukes Cut, what's not to like.  Oh, and other than at Lechlade, lots of free moorings on fields.

I don't think anyone's going to make a point of logging your overnight stay(s) - there's no towpath (as such) to patrol - and not many boats anyway... 

Yep, I luv doing the bit up to Lechlade, deffo best bit of the Thames. Specialy fun on the bendy bits, piece of wee on my tiddly 68  footer but first time on my old 56 footer was a different matter ?

Done Lechlade before. Didn’t want to get there and Everyman and his dog is there. I have a number of friends that live in Swindon threatening to visit. By the time we get there this will all be over or a nasty spike has arrived.

39 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Done Lechlade before. Didn’t want to get there and Everyman and his dog is there. I have a number of friends that live in Swindon threatening to visit. By the time we get there this will all be over or a nasty spike has arrived.

See you tomorrow for a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer :cheers:

14 hours ago, john6767 said:

it is easy to miss out the shit hole that is Oxford by going Dukes Cut,

Not a frequently-heard description of what many people consider one of our most beautiful and historic cities. I'm more of a Cambridge man myself but I was still surprised by your words! Did you perhaps have a bad experience there?

Being charitable (today only), I took Mrs Melly's description as an ordure hole being a reference to the cut from Duke's down to where the basin used to be. If so I'm (not that - that carries any weignt) in agreement.

It's narrow

full of boats approaching / well beyond their sell by date

dark,

ovrehung by trees

nowhere to moor

can't turn anything  longer that 45' (unless you trespass on EA's water)

The city of Oxenford is splendid but ONLY if you avoid the main shopping streets which are full of tat and people.

Otherwise it's delightrful and you may meet folks who know a lot of things about certain subjects - after all it's a seat of learning....   

• Greenie 1

Best way to visit Oxford is leave the boat at Lower Heyford and get the train [15mins]!  The canal sucks south of Thrupp and particularly after Duke's cut.  Even Heyford to Bakers is a ditch with overhanging vegetation and shallow sides.

The winding hole at Isis lock is actually listed as 55ft. 

Good luck thru the Agenda 21 moorings!!

The last time [February] I went to OXF by train, the actual Duke's cut was rammed with shanty boats.

Agree the upper Thames is very nice and Osney bridge prevents many larger boats getting upstream.  

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Best way to visit Oxford is leave the boat at Lower Heyford and get the train [15mins]! 

Yes - or, as we did two years ago, moor at Thrupp (very neat, pleasant surroundings) and catch a 'bus into Oxford.

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Being charitable (today only), I took Mrs Melly's description as an ordure hole being a reference to the cut from Duke's down to where the basin used to be. If so I'm (not that - that carries any weignt) in agreement.

It's narrow

full of boats approaching / well beyond their sell by date

dark,

ovrehung by trees

nowhere to moor

can't turn anything  longer that 45' (unless you trespass on EA's water)

The city of Oxenford is splendid but ONLY if you avoid the main shopping streets which are full of tat and people.

Otherwise it's delightrful and you may meet folks who know a lot of things about certain subjects - after all it's a seat of learning....   

Yes indeed. oxford is lovely its our regular drinking hole when pubs are open. However as has been said after Kidlington the canal is pretty grotty.

On 23/06/2020 at 12:35, rustynewbery said:

Best way to visit Oxford is leave the boat at Lower Heyford and get the train [15mins]!  The canal sucks south of Thrupp and particularly after Duke's cut.  Even Heyford to Bakers is a ditch with overhanging vegetation and shallow sides.

The winding hole at Isis lock is actually listed as 55ft. 

Good luck thru the Agenda 21 moorings!!

The last time [February] I went to OXF by train, the actual Duke's cut was rammed with shanty boats.

Agree the upper Thames is very nice and Osney bridge prevents many larger boats getting upstream.  

Due to lockdown the trains were not stopping at Heyford. That was a few weeks ago, recently I heard they were now stopping, about two trains a day. Although to be fair that was towpath gossip, which is best taken with the legendary salt of proverbial fame.

I would highly recommend checking with GWR before making plans 

On 23/06/2020 at 14:00, mrsmelly said:

Yes indeed. oxford is lovely its our regular drinking hole when pubs are open. However as has been said after Kidlington the canal is pretty grotty.

Good pubs

But a healthy bank balance is needed

It’s possibly one of the most expensive places I’ve drank in

54 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Good pubs

But a healthy bank balance is needed

It’s possibly one of the most expensive places I’ve drank in

Inspector Morse must have been on a blooming good salary.