Anglers... the good, bad and ugly

Baghdaddy

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I've always found those fishing are great and make way. If it comes to altercations then surely it has to be priority to those who pay more for the canals?

A good few yeaŕs ago Waterways World magazine did an article in which they reviewed BW's latest annual report. The article commented that the total income from boaters was about 10 times as much as the income from anglers. That prompted a letter in the next month's edition from a boater saying he would willingly pay 10% more for his licence and mooring fee to be rid of the anglers. Followed of course by the obligatory comment from a spokesman for BW about waterways being for everybody.

Had mixed experiences like most on here, most anglers just pointedly try to ignore the boat and any eye contact or hello; and it does seem common for them to leave the line in the water until the very last second like some game of chicken?. Had a pleasant experience on the Staff's and Worcs a few years ago in November when some anglers actually said how pleased they were to see a boat as the canal was too clear for the fish to be out! And this winter at Froxfield a more unpleasant experience, with no less than three anglers in a long line of a fishing match deciding to openly urinate ON the towpath just as we passed (it was winter with few boats or people about so they easily could have waited until no one was passing) and then encountered the unofficial signs they have put up at the Froxfield visitor moorings telling boats to leave 5 metre gaps for anglers! Got shouted whilst passing one angler here as I was trying to glide into a mooring with no prop but needed to engage gear briefly (into tickover) to steer and he didn't like this! Told him he was lucky there was space for me between the anglers or he would have needed to move (these were the only moorings reachable before dark) which didnt help his mood??‍♂️

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

If it comes to altercations then surely it has to be priority to those who pay more for the canals?

Be careful what you wish for

Boaters pay ~£20m pa into the C&RT 'pot'.

Farmers etc pay ~£30m pa for the water extraction and drainage licences.

Who should get priority when there is not much water in the canals ?

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Those figures don't sound correct. How many licenced boats are there on CaRT waterways?

39 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Those figures don't sound correct. How many licenced boats are there on CaRT waterways?

They are taken from the C&RT annual accounts.

Boat Licence Income = £21.1m

Water Development = £29.9m

Income from BWML (now sold off) £6.2m

Investment & Property income £53.4m

Defra Grant £51.3m

Even "Income from third party charitable activities" £23.5m is higher than Boat licence receipts.

39 minutes ago, PhilR said:

How many licenced boats are there on CaRT waterways?

Screenshot (240).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

If it comes to altercations then surely it has to be priority to those who pay more for the canals?

That way madness lies.

It suggests money talks.  Sadly we are all aware it's true to a degree, but usually because of bullying.  I don't think we want it adopted officially.

"How dare you object to me pulling out in front of you in my 3ltre maximum road tax car, you're only driving an electric one and contribute nothing."

I've been checking Anglers' Forums and doing a search on boats to try and get a comparison.  I only found the advantages to a boat stirring it up a bit, and advice when to fish to avoid them.

I think this tells us that this is an activity that attracts many individuals who perhaps aren't communicators (so don't use Forums) and want to get away from others.  In which case choosing navigable waterways is odd.  However those of that disposition aren't always the politest and spend a lot of their lives using aggressive behaviour to drive strangers away.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I regard the water licence usage as a good thing. Isn't it the only reason some of the canals weren't built over in the 50s? And as this includes discharge into canals e.g. from sewage works, it helps keep us floating. But of course if there had to be a choice in an extreme drought, growing food and sanitation would obviously take priority.

I've seen this from both sides. I go boating and also do some angling on both the Canal and the Trent. I was the fishing bailiff on the Canal for a while and did ban an angler that refused to move from fishing on lock landings and would give boaters abuse for getting too near. Equally i've had an incident where I was fishing on a straight stretch of the Canal and a boat decided to moor where I was fishing "because he can" I know that section well. It's a fairly equal depth all along and no facilities etc. It also transpired he'd done it to other fishing as well. Moors up then 20/30 minutes later moves on. Ok yes he has the right and I have no issue with that but common courtesy would say you moor a but further up/down the 700 yards of straight canal. 

Like most things in life. A bit of give and take helps everyone but sadly you always get the odd one that wants to make trouble. 

33 minutes ago, bigray said:

I've seen this from both sides. I go boating and also do some angling on both the Canal and the Trent. I was the fishing bailiff on the Canal for a while and did ban an angler that refused to move from fishing on lock landings and would give boaters abuse for getting too near. Equally i've had an incident where I was fishing on a straight stretch of the Canal and a boat decided to moor where I was fishing "because he can" I know that section well. It's a fairly equal depth all along and no facilities etc. It also transpired he'd done it to other fishing as well. Moors up then 20/30 minutes later moves on. Ok yes he has the right and I have no issue with that but common courtesy would say you moor a but further up/down the 700 yards of straight canal. 

Like most things in life. A bit of give and take helps everyone but sadly you always get the odd one that wants to make trouble. 

Virtual green thing

Next winter I think I will get out the printer and laminator and make my own signs to put on winter mornings which say, please leave 70feet between rods for boats to moor

Edited by Bewildered
  • Greenie 2

7 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I've always found those fishing are great and make way. If it comes to altercations then surely it has to be priority to those who pay more for the canals?

Is that why it OK for car drivers to run over pedestrians 

Like most here, it has been a mixed bag for me.  But my boating is with a paddle and I have met a fair few fishermen who are not fans of kayak races.... Others are friendly enough.  Except for the one that punched my dog when the dog took a sniff of his maggots.  

4 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

No cyclists who go up the middle of a single track road and won't move over 

if the road is narrow, cyclist are supposed to ride in the middle of road, there are road marking asking cycling to move to middle in some cases. Generally cyclists should be riding 1/3 from curb in the lane, giving way to motorists means many of them will try to squeeze past the cyclist at high speed.

1515014_624380550952091_1211578950_n.jpg

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/06/2020 at 17:26, TheBiscuits said:

I quite approve of considerate fishists, as they are the only other user group who directly pay CRT for use of the system.

More of them should know:

• Never fish within 25 metres of a lock, swing bridge or water point

And then there are the less considerate ones ...

IMG_20200730_151104709.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

Too many boats, too many anglers, very costly licences, damned expensive moorings, far too many restrictions on where you can tie and for how long, in short its not good value for money any more and then some bloke with a fishing rod dares to take up space that you see as yours. He is also paying for a EA licence, possibly club fees and maybe a day ticket and he probably thinks he pays quite enough for a days fishing without putting up with boats tearing past. Add in a stream of idiots on bikes who have an inflated sense of entitlement and someone walking a dog that craps in the middle of the towpath and its a wonder that people aren't being killed.

On 23/06/2020 at 13:56, Alan de Enfield said:

They are taken from the C&RT annual accounts.

Boat Licence Income = £21.1m

Water Development = £29.9m

Income from BWML (now sold off) £6.2m

Investment & Property income £53.4m

Defra Grant £51.3m

Even "Income from third party charitable activities" £23.5m is higher than Boat licence receipts.

Screenshot (240).png

Not sure where you get the figures from but my copy of the report shows a combined figures for boat licences and mooring of >£40m.  Add to that the percentage of "commercial" income (not itemised separately) that derives directly from boating, eg marinas, and boats contribute by far the largest single slice of the cake.