New Narrowboating tv series

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The one on the boat we have just sold folded flat in a minute, ie under the tiller. Their's takes a lot longer to put down and sticks up above the tilller. Prefer our design.

Ours folds forward onto the hatch/roof.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It's called Britain by Narrowboat if you are looking for it.

Just watching the first of the 6 episode series 1.

TBH if you've watched the vlogs there isn't much new to see IMHO. A lot of the footage is the same, but just cut differently, yes it's got a new narration but that's about it.

Worth a watch though I guess if you've not seen them before.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Has anyone noticed that @Dr Bob's signature says "....always wear a mask to avoid the virus", yet he isn't wearing one in his avatar picture. I know the NHS has been short of PPE, but this is setting a terrible example.

Before anyone says, I'm not wearing one in my avatar picture because Morlocks can't get COVID-19.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

48 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Has anyone noticed that @Dr Bob's signature says "....always wear a mask to avoid the virus", yet he isn't wearing one in his avatar picture. I know the NHS has been short of PPE, but this is setting a terrible example.

Before anyone says, I'm not wearing one in my avatar picture because Morlocks can't get COVID-19.

Hang on. I am wearing a mask and have been for a month. What do you think that black thing is? Maybe you are using a poxy little phone thingy to view?

I borrowed it from Zorro.

6 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I also think they were mistaken when the removed the cassette loo and replaced it with a composting loo. But then I've not ever had one so I don't really know either way if it's better than a cassette. They just couldn't face the emptying process.

The windows are interesting - they are bonded into the shell, not sure how common that is nowadays.. No screws, the style suits the boat IMHO but I can see why not everybody would like them.

Sounds a good idea bonding the windows as it may stop future leaks? To me the frames were fat and ugly..... A bit like me realy ?

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oi! How do you know if you dont watch it?

It's the cratch cover we hate ....and the pram cover - doesnt fold flat. The rest of the boat is fine.

I hate any cratch or pram covers lol. They passed here on it recently with camera ont roof and had been mentioned on another thread. Nice colour but? 

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Hang on. I am wearing a mask and have been for a month. What do you think that black thing is? Maybe you are using a poxy little phone thingy to view?

I borrowed it from Zorro.

Ok, it is a bit difficult to see on a small screen. I'll wear a red one for today then.

• Happy 1

30 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

?

I hate any cratch or pram covers lol. They passed here on it recently with camera ont roof and had been mentioned on another thread. Nice colour but? 

We saw their last blog as they went south from Banbury but they didnt point the camera at the pig place....and they didnt even mention it! Poor do.

When you have a small boat - around the 63' mark, you need a cratch cover with a normal layout boat to give you a conservatory. You're ok, you've got a proper size boat!

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

We saw their last blog as they went south from Banbury but they didnt point the camera at the pig place....and they didnt even mention it! Poor do.

When you have a small boat - around the 63' mark, you need a cratch cover with a normal layout boat to give you a conservatory. You're ok, you've got a proper size boat!

When are you out and about on yer shiney new one? and which way are yas goin?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

When are you out and about on yer shiney new one? and which way are yas goin?

Hand over on Tuesday/Wed and heading back to Dunchurch if all is ok with it by the weekend - a very slow cruise back. Looking to get back by end of July, do a couple of weeks of adding bits and pieces ..ie the Lithiums then out for a few months - may try the leicester ring.

• Greenie 1

Colin is very good on Foxes Afloat at doing his history research and is a pretty good presenter - I think Shaun likes to stay behind the camera if he can!

If they are also vlogging then surely much of this will crossover?  They must spend so much time vlogging now i worry it might start to detract from the enjoyment of it all and what is a joy may become a stressful job?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Found “Country House Gent” on Prime Tv here in the USA. Awesome show. I was heartbroken as well watching that episode. You could tell even though he had waited for awhile to tell the story it was still very painful. I’m considering coming over “the pond” and doing a week excursion because of his show. Does give me heed on being Very Aware of my surroundings. I have the privilege of packing 13 friends on my hip for such occasions. Too bad that’s not an option in the UK. 

35 minutes ago, WYDOIN said:

Found “Country House Gent” on Prime Tv here in the USA. Awesome show. I was heartbroken as well watching that episode. You could tell even though he had waited for awhile to tell the story it was still very painful. I’m considering coming over “the pond” and doing a week excursion because of his show. Does give me heed on being Very Aware of my surroundings. I have the privilege of packing 13 friends on my hip for such occasions. Too bad that’s not an option in the UK. 

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't heard of 'Country House Gent' (though I se that someone has mentioned it earlier in this topic); does it include some waterways content?

Here another one that elbowed it's way into my YouTube list....

Disaster at Bratch Locks.

So, did his boat sink, did the lock gates fall off, did the Bratch turn into a water chute...

No, after criticising a local member of staff for using a leaf blower and not turning it off when he wanted to do his important video, he then stuck a counterfeit SD card in his camera and lost the rest of his days footage in what "would have been my best ever video..."

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Here another one that elbowed it's way into my YouTube list....

Disaster at Bratch Locks.

So, did his boat sink, did the lock gates fall off, did the Bratch turn into a water chute...

No, after criticising a local member of staff for using a leaf blower and not turning it off when he wanted to do his important video, he then stuck a counterfeit SD card in his camera and lost the rest of his days footage in what "would have been my best ever video..."

I usually find that youtube videos which feature scared face emoticons like that under-deliver on any interesting content.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't heard of 'Country House Gent' (though I se that someone has mentioned it earlier in this topic); does it include some waterways content?

The show is actually called “Travels by Narrowboat”. The guys “You Tube” name is Country House Gent”. He gives a colorful play by play as he travels the canals. Some good some bad. Recently he has started adding his dinner time cooking prep into the show. He could use a few lessons in that area??. Although some of his stuff looks really good. Not sure when it first aired here in the US, but he has 6 seasons of the show. I’ve seen a few of his videos on You Tube also. His narration is very colorful sometimes, but is simple to understand for someone just starting to watch. He shows the good and the bad of canal life. Not sure of his real name. You should catch the show and see what you think. Planning my trip for July of 2022. Would that be a good time to take to the canal?   
Happy Trails

Roger P. 

3 hours ago, WYDOIN said:

The show is actually called “Travels by Narrowboat”. The guys “You Tube” name is Country House Gent”. He gives a colorful play by play as he travels the canals. Some good some bad. Recently he has started adding his dinner time cooking prep into the show. He could use a few lessons in that area??. Although some of his stuff looks really good. Not sure when it first aired here in the US, but he has 6 seasons of the show. I’ve seen a few of his videos on You Tube also. His narration is very colorful sometimes, but is simple to understand for someone just starting to watch. He shows the good and the bad of canal life. Not sure of his real name. You should catch the show and see what you think. Planning my trip for July of 2022. Would that be a good time to take to the canal?   
Happy Trails

Roger P. 

CHG did mention that his cooking blogs were by popular demand, and he's obviously not trying to pretend to be a chef, I fnd his stuff quite relaxing. I think his name is Kevin. Plus I think he does motorbiketravels. 

The  Foxes have a large following now, I prefer the earlier vlogs to the rather slicker,  comedic routines we are getting nowadays. 

Edited by LadyG