saleaway

haza

Featured Posts

You do have to smile at how some peeps design their own narrowboats.

There is a quite expensive boat in our marina that has been up for sale for at least the last six months. There's been one significant price reduction but still no interest. The reason we were not interested is mainly that it is all electric in the kitchen - rather than gas. Electric oven, hob and grill. It only has 4 domestic batteries, no solar but it does have a reasonable generator to power in. The problem is though that it needs 16A at 240V to run the oven/hob off shore power...so wouldnt work at their last marina when the shore power was restricted to 13A. Off grid, you would soon deplete your batteries doing a sunday roast and have to replenish via the generator. The generator is a good coccooned jobby installed in front of the engine (ie towards the front of the boat) so is virtually impossible to get at if something goes wrong. This includes the sea water cooling mud box which I couldnt even see (it does have one!). You would run the genny when moored up so likely the mud on the bottom would be 6" from the genny raw water intake - Probably end up with having to clean that mud box every week. Not a good solution. Maybe if it had a big set of Lithium's you would have a better chance of managing the 300Ahrs of lecky you would likely deplete your batteries by each day.

This boat is 10 years old and has very few engine hours, probably 'cause it just wasnt set up for none electric hook up operation. Apart from that it is a really nice well looked after boat...but totally impractical.

• Sad 1

off topic just seen kurt cobains guitar as just sold for nearly 5 mill ,maybe who ever brought that knows nothing about or even plays guitar .maybe just like buying a sale away .and knowing nothing ,who knows 

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The thing that seems odd to me is that he wants to play at designing and fitting a boat out, which is fine and would be fun. But he doesn't seem to actually want to do any of it himself - he's got his tradesmen to do all the work. In the current climate that's a really good thing as he'll be keeping people in work, but I can't really see what he gets out of it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it in the slightest, I just don't see where the pleasure lies in it for him? Is it just the designing, and seeing if it works? After all, most of the satisfaction in any DIY project is looking at it proudly after you dunnit.

There are people who are very proud of their gardens like that

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Detling said:

He really needs to look at the RCD as he will be liable for ever if the boat doesn't comply, under the latest rules. If someone dies as a result of the non compliance jail time is on offer.

I expect this post will be ignored (just as post #9 was) as "it is not what one wants to hear".

all rules will be followed to the letter .what do you mean by post being ignored ? some one dies wheres that come from. narrowboats are brought and sold every day ,all rules and insurences will be met .if this project is taken on, 

7 hours ago, haza said:

what do you mean by post being ignored ?

Probably the fact that the question was asked “Is he aware that he will have to fully comply with the RCD regulations?” and you didn’t reply. So it appears that you ignored it. 

no i did not see that post .it stand to reason tho .recreational craft direct ,and all other legal stuff will be in place .i may be a lot of things wotever . ignorant is not one of them lol .also this project will have P.I 

if you struggle to read what i say simple dont bother reading it ,and dont bother commenting 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, haza said:

no i did not see that post .it stand to reason tho .recreational craft direct ,and all other legal stuff will be in place .i may be a lot of things wotever . ignorant is not one of them lol .also this project will have P.I 

if you struggle to read what i say simple dont bother reading it ,and dont bother commenting 

To be fair, you do put the space on the wrong side of punctuation. I can read what you say perfectly fine, it's just an odd and unusual quirk. Not sure why you'd do it but doesn't affect the readability. I suspect Dr Bob was asking out of curiosity rather than criticising.

30 minutes ago, haza said:

I fear that you are labouring under a misapprehension there. It is at least once a month for most of the year we get "dreamers" come on to ask about self building hulls and fitting out sailaways. Some even think that they can do it as a business. In all too many cases it comes as a shock when they finally grasp that if they intend sell it or even might have to sell it the boat will have to conform to the RCD with all that entails. It in no way stands to reason from your posts that your friend either knew that or understands the RCD.

These dreamers also often grossly underestimate the time it takes to fit out a narrowboat to a reasonable standard. I get fed up with people thinking six months of after work time will see the job done - its more likely to end up as five years. Now if your friend is employing people who know about narrowboats more or less full time then six months may be a reasonable estimate. If he employs people used to working ashore where plumb lines and spirit levels are the norm it will take longer, generate more material waste and is unlikely to end up with a truly high level fit out.

As we only know your friends capabilities, contacts, and intentions from your posts many of us here know he may well be heading for disaster unless he fully understands what he is getting into. There is no reason he should not achieve what he wants but to do it economically most non-boating types need to do a great deal of research before starting on the details of the project.

only a fool would take on a a boat fit out, and some on here think he is, let me tell them hes no fool ,when you can fullfill multi million pound contracts ,he must have some thing about him .it will all be done legal . what some on here think its abt making money .thats far from it .and as for me and my post writing lets just say im thick ok ..i will let you know how it goes 18 months down the line .who knows he may say to him self nar to hell with if ..i will get another rolls royce to keep the other company .you know why that is . its becuse he can .all this started out as an idea over a few beers with my hubby ,all i have had of here you have to do this, you got to do that .myself and hubby have been with  narrowboats he 30 year myself about 25 .i do know what its like to carry the porto loo to the elsan and even now how to empty it , but to be honest he does it most time 

28 minutes ago, haza said:

only a fool would take on a a boat fit out, and some on here think he is, let me tell them hes no fool ,when you can fullfill multi million pound contracts ,he must have some thing about him .it will all be done legal . what some on here think its abt making money .thats far from it .and as for me and my post writing lets just say im thick ok ..i will let you know how it goes 18 months down the line .who knows he may say to him self nar to hell with if ..i will get another rolls royce to keep the other company .you know why that is . its becuse he can .all this started out as an idea over a few beers with my hubby ,all i have had of here you have to do this, you got to do that .myself and hubby have been with  narrowboats he 30 year myself about 25 .i do know what its like to carry the porto loo to the elsan and even now how to empty it , but to be honest he does it most time 

No, that is not correct by a long shot. Some on here think that your post indicates he may be jumping in with both feet before he knows what he is getting himself into so they have tried to warn him about the pitfalls and what he needs to consider via your good offices. This is not based on how your stricture your posts but is based on many years experience of both fitting, trying to rectify the problems boat fitters have caused their customers out AND the constant stream of similar posts we frequently receive. I fear it is you asserting that it stands to reason he knows what he is getting into and that it will all be legal, the evidence on this forum over be the years suggest he may not, that is all, we have been trying to warn him.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

. It in no way stands to reason from your posts that your friend either knew that or understands the RCD.

As we only know your friends capabilities, contacts, and intentions from your posts many of us here know he may well be heading for disaster unless he fully understands what he is getting into. There is no reason he should not achieve what he wants but to do it economically most non-boating types need to do a great deal of research before starting on the details of the project.

I think this extract from Post #4 sums it why we have been discussing the 'details' he needs to know.

"...  but your right abt him not knowing abt the market .nor does he want to know .."

ok tony thanks for that sorry if i came across a bit miffed .i for one know from first hand the pitfalls .i had a boat stretched from 40ft to 60ft and that went tits up on me .and not for one minute does my hubbys mate think property devlopment is the same as fitout s he himself laughs at that one, any way lets see how this rolls out .thanks