saleaway

haza

Featured Posts

a friend of mine as in is  mind of fitting out a new 60 ft narrow boat out .he has every thing in place the land ,  the work force such as chippy,s sparks, painters it   would be finshed off to the best spec on the market    hes just after steel only .dont want it boarded or foamed out ,not even fussed abt engine or not ,what sort of price range would he be looking at .it would be finished of to the best spec on the market when finished it would be sold off .so more or less hes looking at something to get is teeth into .more of a new venture and new hobby  for him ,. the last venture he took  was is own home which is valued at abt 4 million ,and before i get fed back if any .of why dont he just buy  one all .fitted and ready to go .hes not interested in any of that .  thanks stay safe 

Depends on the quality and workmanship on the shell. Aintree/Collingwood simple probably £20k. Colecraft, XRnD...a bit more. Mel Davies, a bit more again. Brinklow Boys, Paul Barber curvy shapely hull with inset rear panels...£30-40k.

no he asked me how much a shell would cost .and i did not have an answer for him as i did not know ...and no he would sell it on for what it cost him to do .hes not employing any one they all ready work for him .like i said it would be a venture and new  hobby for him ,but your right abt him not knowing abt the market .nor does he want to know ..to my mind if he did not sell it .it would prob ,,stop on is land .just like is rolls and bentley  that are just sat in is garage 

and yes it sounds stupid idea too me also ,but if you can stay in a 6 grand a night hotel in for 2 weeks over xmas  in dubai ,   its not abt money ,its just abt the doing of it .

• Greenie 1

The whole point of buying a shell or a sailaway is to fit it out yourself. Once you have to start getting people to fit it out for you it's likely to become more expensive than getting it professionally fitted by the builder or their contractors. That might be the case even if those people already work for you. Also trades people who renovate houses often don't know what they're doing when it comes to fitting out boats.

In answer to your question on shell prices, as Matty says it depends on the quality and the builder.

Edited by blackrose

8 hours ago, haza said:

a friend of mine as in is  mind of fitting out a new 60 ft narrow boat out .he has every thing in place the land ,  the work force such as chippy,s sparks, painters it   would be finshed off to the best spec on the market    hes just after steel only .dont want it boarded or foamed out ,not even fussed abt engine or not ,what sort of price range would he be looking at .it would be finished of to the best spec on the market when finished it would be sold off .so more or less hes looking at something to get is teeth into .more of a new venture and new hobby  for him ,. the last venture he took  was is own home which is valued at abt 4 million ,and before i get fed back if any .of why dont he just buy  one all .fitted and ready to go .hes not interested in any of that .  thanks stay safe 

If he is employing people to work on it (presumably as they already work for him he is paying them) and is intending to sell it on completion it becomes a commercial build.

Is he aware that he MUST (legally) build it in compliance with the RCD ?

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Depends on the quality and workmanship on the shell. Aintree/Collingwood simple probably £20k. Colecraft, XRnD...a bit more. Mel Davies, a bit more again. Brinklow Boys, Paul Barber curvy shapely hull with inset rear panels...£30-40k.

Mel Davis - no E.

http://meldavis.com

Edited by Martin Nicholas
Link

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Also trades people who renovate houses often don't know what they're doing when it comes to fitting out boats.

Can you imagine the cock-ups when a domestic electrician starts to wire up a boat ?

Or the fun, when a domestic gas installer thinks a boat is just a small house and realises his gas-safe ticket doesn't allow him to go near a boat.

thanks matty you have  have told me all i wanted to know ,and yes lpg gas fitter is on board and not a domestic like i said he as a mind to do this as a project just like many self fitout people do ,hes a good friend of my fella ,and comes to my boat often .we were chatting and he came out and said if he had a boat he would have this he would have that .and like my fella said to me, once he as something going on in is head he goes with it ,he as over 200 people work for him in some way  or another .and its not that he would call on   any of these .but i am sure he would ..if he needed  some one more qualified then himself to do any job on a fitout .as i am sure we have all done this, my hubby is a roofer ,but he never fitted  my gas system .to myn mind its rich men and there toys ,and why not he pays is taxes in this country 

49 minutes ago, haza said:

thanks matty you have  have told me all i wanted to know ,and yes lpg gas fitter is on board and not a domestic like i said he as a mind to do this as a project just like many self fitout people do ,hes a good friend of my fella ,and comes to my boat often .we were chatting and he came out and said if he had a boat he would have this he would have that .and like my fella said to me, once he as something going on in is head he goes with it ,he as over 200 people work for him in some way  or another .and its not that he would call on   any of these .but i am sure he would ..if he needed  some one more qualified then himself to do any job on a fitout .as i am sure we have all done this, my hubby is a roofer ,but he never fitted  my gas system .to myn mind its rich men and there toys ,and why not he pays is taxes in this country 

I agree. Its obviously just a toy. A good friend of mine had his new boat delivered to Gibralter rather than the UK as it saved him a few shillings and he got to blast it back to the UK before taking it back to the Med. He got a good deal on it 10 years ago for only 1 million 200 thousand. He has every car imaginable and all in drop top form, if they dont make it in a pretty drop top then he has it done as with his Range rover convertible. To some people a fiver is a lot and to some a 100k boat is peanuts, its the way of the world.

9 hours ago, haza said:

no he asked me how much a shell would cost .and i did not have an answer for him as i did not know ...and no he would sell it on for what it cost him to do .hes not employing any one they all ready work for him .like i said it would be a venture and new  hobby for him ,but your right abt him not knowing abt the market .nor does he want to know ..to my mind if he did not sell it .it would prob ,,stop on is land .just like is rolls and bentley  that are just sat in is garage 

Anticipating selling on at what it costs is a recipe for disappointment, as too many discover in all sorts of areas, not least hobby boats. If selling on is the aim then it is vital to work back from a market price, based on what others are selling. Then fix the budget to fit. 

thank you mrsmelly could not have put that better myself ,thats exactly what what my hubbys friend is all about ,he took is work force to dublin last year for the weekend ,stayed at the burlington hotel ,they are of to benidorm on there next jolly up ..some people hay , one good thing tho hubby goes too. 

6 minutes ago, haza said:

thank you mrsmelly could not have put that better myself ,thats exactly what what my hubbys friend is all about ,he took is work force to dublin last year for the weekend ,stayed at the burlington hotel ,they are of to benidorm on there next jolly up ..some people hay , one good thing tho hubby goes too. 

We would charter a plane & take all the employees and their families to Spain for long weekend a couple of times a year - until it was decided that it was a very high risk.

In future we were only allowed to fly commercial with a maximum of 34% of the employees in any one plane & with management spread across the 3 planes - thus hoping that should the worst happen the company would still be in a position to function (of sorts)

thanks mike again its not about any profit or the like .if he did go ahead with is idea ,he would more then like just plonk it in a marina .and leave it there for any one to use it such as people he knows , or work for him .like i said rich mans toys and all that .hes just working class whos done good but as never forgot is friends .take my hubby he dont have a pot to piss in ,still good mates tho ,nothing may never come of this .but i would not bet against it lol

,and comes to my boat often .we were chatting and he came out and said if he had a boat he would have this he would have that

And how many times have we heard of people re-designing the wheel and then find what they have is unsaleable...

Whitfield mentioned elsewhere is a good example of how to lose a large amount of money because the owner thought he knew better than all the experienced boaters.

The thing that seems odd to me is that he wants to play at designing and fitting a boat out, which is fine and would be fun. But he doesn't seem to actually want to do any of it himself - he's got his tradesmen to do all the work. In the current climate that's a really good thing as he'll be keeping people in work, but I can't really see what he gets out of it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it in the slightest, I just don't see where the pleasure lies in it for him? Is it just the designing, and seeing if it works? After all, most of the satisfaction in any DIY project is looking at it proudly after you dunnit.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

arthur nor do i ,but we are all different ,he would not get is workforce on it .they earn him is money to do such follys , and thats it really its just play really, if he  goes along with it and it works fine ,if it dont work thats also fine ,just like saying why do people climb everest .some people do .but theres a lot more that dont ..if you get my jist .anyway i got what i needed topic over as far as saleaways go .now you can all go back to the perils of lockdown ,lol