New boat tradition?

Featured Posts

Think of a name. Paint it on boat. ( Seems a bit optional these days, but...)

Drink beer.  (Essential)

After coming up with your highly original and possibly witty name, it's worth checking this site

to see how many other people thought of it already!

Edited by Rick-n-Jo
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Bottle of champers and a bottle of Newcastle Brown.

Pour the Newky over the bow and drink the champers.

We did this and a passing boater accused us of polluting the cut.

Maiden voyage 002.jpg

Ange has just reported you.....?

Some time in the late 80s (I think) some bright con artist formed a company to register boat names.

You paid to join, told them what name you wanted to call your boat, and off you went.

They sent you a certificate done on a Word Doc. which confirmed you had registered the name with them on such and such a date.

I once came upon a soppy pair arguing with the owners of another boat with the same name at Cosgrove.  With all of the ferocity of the righteous they were waving their Office doc. in the faces of the others and shouting only they were entitled to use it.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Rick-n-Jo said:

After coming up with your highly original and possibly witty name, it's worth checking this site

to see how many other people thought of it already!

The compiler of that list must have been really bored that day.

I think we all know that 'Kingfisher' is the nation's favourite, but I was surprised to see 'Merlin' as high as no.3.

'Odin', I assume, is used only by electrically-powered craft.

Names like Piston Broke and Llamedos are a bit corny - thus avoid.

Where I boat a boat's name is there for the lockie to shout at you to get attention, thus something witty but unprnouncable or too long are best avoided.

30 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Names like Piston Broke and Llamedos are a bit corny - thus avoid.

Where I boat a boat's name is there for the lockie to shout at you to get attention, thus something witty but unprnouncable or too long are best avoided.

Ditto 'Kingfisher', otherwise he'll call out and three boats will try to enter the lock at once.

43 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We came all the way up Foxton Locks before finding out the boat behind us was also called Harnser, that was a Steve Hudson one.

I will probably be in trouble posting this, but who cares 

A woman walks into a welfare office, trailed by 15 kids. "Wow," the social worker exclaims, "are they all yours?"

"Yep, they are all mine," the flustered mother sighs, having heard that question a thousand times before. She says, "Sit down, Billy." All the children rush to find seats.

"Well," says the social worker, "then you must be here to sign up. I'll need all your children's names."

"Well, to keep it simple, the boys are all named Billy and the girls are all named Billie."

In disbelief, the case worker says, "Are you serious? They're all named Billy?"

Their mamma replied, "Well, yes, it makes it easier. When it's time to get them out of bed and ready for school, I yell, 'Billy'! And when it's time for dinner, I just yell 'Billy'! and they all come running, and if I need to stop the kid who's running into the street, I just yell 'Billy' and all of them stop. It's the smartest idea I ever had, naming them all Billy."

The case worker thinks this over for a bit, then wrinkles her forehead and says tentatively, "But what if you just want one kid to come, and not the whole bunch?" ....

"Then I call them by their last names..."

:clapping:

Tom Henshaw had small boat which he kept on the Derby Canal and it never had a name. He put a sign saying wet paint after painting it and then was busy with Ashby Canal business for some time before going back to it. Some helpful person had fixed the sign to the boat and when Tom licensed it as wet paint nothing was said.

on the continent lots of the commercials make up a name from their initials or a mixture of forenames.