Pump out hose

fudd

Featured Posts

I think I need to replace my pump out hose as it’s starting to deteriorate at the toilet end. I’m sure it’s the original hose. It’s dark green in colour and 11/2 diameter. I’ve never had any smell in 12 years of use. My mate has to change his every few years because of the smell. Has anyone got any idea as to where I can get hold of the olive green pipe. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by fudd

When I was replacing the 38mm toilet waste pipe on my seagoing boat, Vetus was one of the top quality, (and expensive), brands recommended. It wasn't dark green, more a light beige IIRC, but it was certainly very good.

https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=vesahose38&gclid=CjwKCAjw57b3BRBlEiwA1ImytpPN9Cj5kh_4q1WqUBiTzdPHWLLFGklS44vdm6SkrBYgcoc8vwdNxRoCTLEQAvD_BwE

Edited by Richard10002

23 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

When I was replacing the 38mm toilet waste pipe on my seagoing boat, Vetus was one of the top quality, (and expensive), brands recommended. It wasn't dark green, more a light beige IIRC, but it was certainly very good.

Aaaand... here's a shorter link :) https://marinestore.co.uk/Vetus-Sanitation-Toilet-Hose-38mm-Non-Permeable.html

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fudd said:

I think I need to replace my pump out hose as it’s starting to deteriorate at the toilet end. I’m sure it’s the original hose. It’s dark green in colour and 11/2 diameter. I’ve never had any smell in 12 years of use. My mate has to change his every few years because of the smell. Has anyone got any idea as to where I can get hold of the olive green pipe. Thanks in advance. 

Could your mate's hose have a kink or horizontal section in the run that lets effluent sit in it while yours is vertical so the effluent falls back into the tank.

If yours is vertical I doubt you need pat Vetus prices.

Edited by Tony Brooks

16 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Could your mate's hose have a kink or horizontal section in the run that lets effluent sit in it while yours is vertical so the effluent falls back into the tank.

If yours is vertical I doubt you need pat Vetus prices.

Yes Tony. He has a vacuum system with horizontal hose.  My tank is the full height of my boat. Small footprint of 4’ x 1’. The hose is vertical so there’s always some in there, still no smell. 

54 minutes ago, fudd said:

Yes Tony. He has a vacuum system with horizontal hose.  My tank is the full height of my boat. Small footprint of 4’ x 1’. The hose is vertical so there’s always some in there, still no smell. 

If the tank is the full height of the boat then you must have a vacuum or maccerator toilet that can pump the effluent up hill. With the toilet to tank hose that long any vertical section draining back would probably fill the toilet  except valves would hopefully stop it draining down. So you are not talking about the pump out hose, you seem to be talking about the toilet to tank hose so I think @Tracy D'arth has probably given the cheapest and probably best option. However If you wnat hose then I am sure you will need to pay a bit for a quality product. I woudl certainly try Leasan

Hello Tony. I didn’t make myself clear. I did mean the toilet to tank hose. There’s a non return valve just after the toilet which means the hose is constantly full but it still has never smelled. 

Standing effluent in sanitation hose is the best way of getting smells to permeate the hose. Ideally the installation would be such that the effluent in the toilet to tank hose would self drain, most into the tank and a little back into the toilet but yours precludes that in a major way so it solid pipework or pay up for premium hose.

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Rigid solvent weld waste pipe, lasts better and no smells.  Silicone auto elbows and joints with stainless hose clips.

Be absolutely certain that any maintance can be done with rigid pipes.

Nothing more puzzling than a pipe full of fluid, that you really don't want to let out....

Bod.

36 minutes ago, Bod said:

Be absolutely certain that any maintance can be done with rigid pipes.

Nothing more puzzling than a pipe full of fluid, that you really don't want to let out....

Bod.

I can't see that would be any different to a hose in the OP's setup. I very much doubt he could get the top end of his hose low enough into a bucket to drain the effluent so it trying to find a solution that has the least chance of failure.

Yes, it all depends on the individual set-up.

I know that with our's the vacuum pump has to be lifted up above the top of the tank to allow the pipes to drain into the tank, before the "Duck-bill" valves can be removed.  Fitting rigid pipes would not allow this to happen.

Bod

I have a 38mm shut off valve just after the non return valve at the lowest end of the hose. It isn’t possible to use rigid pipe without taking the shower panels to bits. Can’t physically get to the pipe. 

I used marine wet exhaust hose and a silicone elbow. It is a very short run of hose between toilet and pump (Lavac manual sea toilet discharging to holding tank which is beside and slightly above it) and a silicone elbow from pump outlet to the tank but interesting to note that the exhaust hose (2ft) does not smell whereas the very small amount of silicone hose (8 inches) used in the system does smell. 

Therefore I would suggest wet exhaust hose of the correct diameter and two t-bolt clamps to fasten it at each end. 

Another advantage of wet exhaust hose is it is nice and flexible.

For the pumpout deck fitting tube I opted to use a 1.5 inch stainless steel tube with little silicone hoses on the end to adapt to the tank outlet and the deck (roof) pumpout fitting. Again fastened with T bolt clamps. 

Seems to have been ok for about 7 years 24/7 residential use by 3.5 people. 

Edited by magnetman

I originally fitted the white flexible hose from Leesan. 

After a year or so..it started to stink...badly so.

They gave me the ' you must have standing fluid ' routine....but it wasn't. It all went nicely down hill to the tank. 

I then returned to purchase a new lot and while there another customer was telling them he had the same problem with a sea going yacht....no standing fluid..and under his bed it stank. They kindly recommended he install fans to vent under his bed !

I purchased another set of hose and installed it all again. There wasn't a single standing point. The whole lot went down steeply to the tank...in fact when removing the old hose, there was no fluid.

After a year it stank. Even the vent pipe that never had fluid and the clean water rinse stank.

Leesan said it wasn't possible...so I cut 6 inches and sent it to them to sniff. They never replied.

I ripped the whole lot out and replaced with solid solvent weld.

Problem solved !

I'd never waste my money in that again.