Injuring oneself single handing

blackrose

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A few years back Andrew Dennny photographed me mid-leap:

david_mack_leaps_off_fulbourne.jpg&key=0

https://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2006/08/fulbourne_at_na.html

That seems so totally unnecessary when you could just have steered the rear end in.

My missus would have a fit - black socks with shorts !!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That seems so totally unnecessary when you could just have steered the rear end in.

My missus would have a fit - black socks with shorts !!!

Perhaps there wasn't sufficient water to get any closer, a regular occurrence on an ex working boat.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Perhaps there wasn't sufficient water to get any closer, a regular occurrence on an ex working boat.

Even shallow draught boats can not get close to the lock landings sometimes.

In this case,take the bow right up to the lock gate,and secure to whatever is handy.

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

In this case,take the bow right up to the lock gate,and secure to whatever is handy.

We call that "Hudding it" as it's the only sensible technique for the Huddersfield Narrow.

8 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

It looks like there is a boat waiting to come down so going in to the gates is not an option.

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A few years back Andrew Dennny photographed me mid-leap:

david_mack_leaps_off_fulbourne.jpg&key=0

https://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2006/08/fulbourne_at_na.html

I think you were lucky to get away with that.

Had there been a group of onlookers,you would have got very wet,and felt a right prawn!

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It looks like there is a boat waiting to come down so going in to the gates is not an option.

In that case,no,so you would have to scull around for a bit untill the lock was free.

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had steered the bow in so my 13 year old son could jump off with the bow rope, and I was then steering the stern in so I could step off. But but he strapped the bow rope on a bollard, so the stern started going out again, and I had to make a split second decision whether to leap or to have to deal with a boat diagonally across the canal.

If it happened again now I wouldn't jump!

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I had steered the bow in so my 13 year old son could jump off with the bow rope, and I was then steering the stern in so I could step off. But but he strapped the bow rope on a bollard, so the stern started going out again, and I had to make a split second decision whether to leap or to have to deal with a boat diagonally across the canal.

If it happened again now I wouldn't jump!

OK, thankyou.

That is how we normally come into moor, (bow in, stern out) SWMBO 'lassos' the bollard and I then move the rudder to steer the bow 'out' which then brings the stern 'in' and I can step off and tie up.

Reversing the procedure allows you to get off the side' in a strong wind.

2 hours ago, Tacet said:

The Huddersfield Narrow is one where you best keep one person on the bank and one person on the boat or you're likely have tears.

I agree, but not at the same time.  Sometimes I'm on the boat and sometimes on the lock side - can't be in two places at once!   There have been tears, but only in the hay fever season.

8 hours ago, Waterway2go said:

Arthur Bray managed a bit of hopping on and off well into later years.   Have Humans stopped evolving in recent years - or are we just more sensible?

Brays.JPG

We are more sensible, risk averse, H&S aware or whatever you want to call it, and that's reflected in reduced deaths and injuries in the workplace. I'm not sure about the statistics relating to leisure activities. It might be a difficult comparison since there are probably a lot more of us doing those activities these days.

20 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

None of us are getting any younger and it's very easy to get distracted by others when moving your boat.  I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Thanks it's eased up a bit but still sore. I'm thinking about going back to my mooring tomorrow afternoon. I'll see how I feel.

Biggest leap i ever made was when I stepped of the stern only to realise that I had left the engine engaged. Good fun running down the towpath and making a leap onto a 4inch wide gunnel.

O.t 

Gunnel or Gunwale? 

3 minutes ago, reg said:

Biggest leap i ever made was when I stepped of the stern only to realise that I had left the engine engaged. Good fun running down the towpath and making a leap onto a 4inch wide gunnel.

O.t 

Gunnel or Gunwale? 

Gunwale, pronounced gunn-el 

11 hours ago, Slim said:

Gunwale = Gun Wall = side of man of war through which guns stuck out when firing. Not to be confused with gun port. 

not quite.    it is specifically the topmost plank of the side of the ship - usually a heavily reinforced band of planks to resist the stress created by firing heavy guns.

a wale is a plank, not a wall.

in the construction industry a waling is a heavy horizontal stiffener used to reinforce concrete formwork (shuttering).

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

On 20/06/2020 at 10:24, blackrose said:

a 29 tonne liability.

That's one of the best descriptions of a widebeam I've seen.

But seriously, as it's been a week since your accident, I hope you're fully mobile again by now.

On 28/06/2020 at 08:10, Murflynn said:

in the construction industry a waling is a heavy horizontal stiffener used to reinforce concrete formwork (shuttering).

And also the horizontal W profile galvanised steel strip you find bolted along the top of the sheet piling along the canal bank.