Busy towpaths

Featured Posts

The towpath opposite my house has seen a huge increase in walkers, joggers a d dog walkers since lockdown.

I no longer use it as it is impossible to socially distance, even when exercising a reactive GSD.

Plenty of walks to be had around the local fields without  meeting many people.

A few weeks ago I took the dog out for a walk, we were moored in the countryside about a mile south of Cropredy, I had only gotten about a hundred yards from the boat when I encountered a jogger coming towards me. I stopped and moved to one side, the jogger stopped undid his tracksuit top, lifted it over his mouth and nose then zipped it up again. He then turned to face the cut and skipped sideways past me. This left me thinking, if he wanted to get some exercise but was worried about catching Covid, why choose somewhere to jog that is less the two meters wide? Why not go and jog around a nice big field or something?

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Possibly because fields are private property and he didn't know any farmers to get permission.

Plenty of fields with footpaths and room to step off if meeting traffic coming towards you unlike towpaths with layer hedges bordering them

Similar here. Not quite as grim as the bit of BCN main line illustrated. A huge increase in visitors since the dreaded you know what pandemic started. It is in the eastern industrial/retail end of a big city, so not many nice places to go for a walk for the residents. The canal is now a green corridor, leading in to the city centre. I have seen a deer wandering around before. The CaRT and railway owned land around the canal that 50 years ago was bare scrub ground is now birch forest.. The water is clean, with kingfishers doing their thing. Again, 50, or 60 years ago a kingfisher foolish enough to dive in to the canal would have dissolved!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies