Sankey canal.

Onlyme

Featured Posts

Good evening all. Im new to this forum but im desperately seeking help with this one. Rumours have been running around concerning the water levels on the sankey canal most notably at spike island widnes. The local authority being Halton council have confirmed today that as of next month water pumping in to the canal will stop meaning that the levels will become so low that the canal will cease to be able to support boats if and sort not to mention the the fish stocks that will be lost. My question is some time ago I heard that if a canal was still being used by boats it must me maintained...I may have got this wrong but im so frustrated that the local authorities have just decided that this is the end. The boat club seem powerless to do anything about this act of social vandalism and im unsure where to turn to next, any ideas anyone? 

Water supply to the lower Sankey, including Fiddler’s Ferry yacht haven through to Spike Island (which is actually in several bunded sections) has been a by-product of the power station for decades. The power station is now closed and SSE presumably aren’t going to keep pumping water out of the goodness of their hearts. No-one locally seems to know what is going to happen to the considerable number of boats moored at both locations, or the sailing club and yard at Fiddler’s Ferry.

1 hour ago, Onlyme said:

Good evening all. Im new to this forum but im desperately seeking help with this one. Rumours have been running around concerning the water levels on the sankey canal most notably at spike island widnes. The local authority being Halton council have confirmed today that as of next month water pumping in to the canal will stop meaning that the levels will become so low that the canal will cease to be able to support boats if and sort not to mention the the fish stocks that will be lost. My question is some time ago I heard that if a canal was still being used by boats it must me maintained...I may have got this wrong but im so frustrated that the local authorities have just decided that this is the end. The boat club seem powerless to do anything about this act of social vandalism and im unsure where to turn to next, any ideas anyone? 

From what I can see the Sankey canal does not appear of the list of "Statutory Cruising Canals" that must be maintained.

• 2 weeks later...

The St Helens Canal was closed, I think in 1962 As there was no amenity trafic at the time,there was little opposition to the formal abandonment order. I remember walking the section between Spike Island and Fiddlers Ferry in 1973(from memory) and the canal was blocked by works connected with the power station. There was a pipe accross Fidlers Ferry lock at this time. About this time,the lock keepers house at Fiddlers Ferry was demolished by B,W.B.(How much would that bungalow be worth now) I undertook a survey for the local Sports Council to assess what potential amenity value the canal had at this time.  Warrington Development Corporation developed some of the canal,for liesure use,but I dont have any details. People who know more about the canal than me will know when the last trading boat left the canal.I think Sankey Sugar were the last users. I understand that public money was used to refurb the one lock at Spike Island and build the 2 way slipway.  I spoke to the Area Engineer Mr Freeman, at the time(1973?) and he could not see any reason to keep the canal open.