Damian?

Featured Posts

inutes ago, Jerra said:

So rainfall is near enough average but currently we are at the end of a long hot spell.

"It has been the driest May in England and second driest in Wales with 9.6mm and 14.3mm respectively, which are both just 17% of the average rainfall for May."

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2020/2020-spring-and-may-stats

Edited by David Mack

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nope - it appears that Tracy double posted (identical) posts with 4 minute separation.

Am I the only one that can see it ?

No it is clearly visible, I just assumed somebody would report it and a mod delete or combine as appropriate.

I suppose I shouldn't have been lazy waiting for somebody else to do it.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

"It has been the driest May in England and second driest in Wales with 9.6mm and 14.3mm respectively, which are both just 17% of the average rainfall for May."

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2020/2020-spring-and-may-stats

I was just using the winter & spring precis reports.

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

No it is clearly visible, I just assumed somebody would report it and a mod delete or combine as appropriate.

I suppose I shouldn't have been lazy waiting for somebody else to do it.

Being the forum senior prefect it should have been straightforward.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

That's unfair. CRT's Reservoir Watch shows that in Mid March reservoir levels were close to 100% over most of the country. But a wet winter was followed by one of the dryest springs on record, so it's no surprise levels are down a bit since March

Since Mid March there has been NO boat movement.

Go on, try again to defend the leakage.

11 hours ago, Goliath said:

It would help if Damian didn’t come across as a tad condescending. He writes likes he’s out on the sideline. From the armchair. A boater report should sound like the writer knows his stuff. 
Not just saying ‘nicey nicey’. 

I think he's writing mainly for armchair boaters, like them what keep their boats in marinas, go out for a few days every couple of years and make a pig's ear of everything. I only ever read the bits that seem relevant to me, currently the lockdown status and stoppages, but in normal times usually read the headings in the email and decide not to bother.

• Greenie 1

I take the same approach, read the headings then press delete on the email even though we keep the boat in a marina.  We do go out for more than a few days though and don't often make a pigs ear of things.

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think he's writing mainly for armchair boaters, like them what keep their boats in marinas, go out for a few days every couple of years and make a pig's ear of everything. I only ever read the bits that seem relevant to me, currently the lockdown status and stoppages, but in normal times usually read the headings in the email and decide not to bother.

I assume this "boater" you talk about is a construct in your mind. So you can elevate yourself into a superior being?  ;)

Live and let live.

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

I assume this "boater" you talk about is a construct in your mind. So you can elevate yourself into a superior being?  ;)

Live and let live.

Oh for god's sake,stop being such a pillock and develop a sense of humour. There are loads of people who keep boats on a mooring and hardly ever go out, and of course they don't all make a pigs of it, but Damian is addressing, largely, the inexperienced ones who might. The OP was commenting on why he sometimes seems patronising, and I was just trying to explain why it might look that way to those of us who have been playing on the wet for a bit longer. 

If you really think boaters like that don't exist, you must live with your eyes shut, as well as your SOH switched off. I admit sometimes to being facetious, but faced with comments like yours, it's a bit hard to maintain the equilibrium. 

Having been a regular boater for thirty years doesn't make me superior to a bloke on his first ever day out, or to a hirer or a happy bunch on a dayboat in any way whatsoever any more than being a CC or liveaboard did. I do, however, think I'm better than someone who deliberately misreads a post so they can have a snark.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

On 19/06/2020 at 20:39, Tracy D'arth said:

Well, to be honest, just about all of it. Not just knocking C&RT.

Water shortage in the wettest winter on record, persistent rain this week.

Cleaning INNS of boats.

A list of closures so long that it seems unbelievable for the start of the boating season, according to C&RT.

TD'

Maybe CaRT have been selling water to the water authorities this year?

On 20/06/2020 at 00:39, Cheshire cat said:

There have been very few boat movements and yet there does seem to be a water shortage. Two weeks ago I cycled past Bosley resevoir and it was only half full. Also the Coventry was down around six inches last week

Don't forget that evaporation losses can be considerable during prolonged hot weather.

On 19/06/2020 at 22:11, Goliath said:

It would help if Damian didn’t come across as a tad condescending. He writes likes he’s out on the sideline. From the armchair. A boater report should sound like the writer knows his stuff. 
Not just saying ‘nicey nicey’. 

I've met him, nice bloke, pretty sure he doesn't have a boat or interest in boating , nor does he have any power in crt,  his job is just to present them in a good light and send the **** off letter to any complainants