dodgy water !

steviehat

Featured Posts

Hi everyone. Our water is making me ill. My partner and our kids are fine but if i drink our water, even from the filter, it gives me rumbling indigestion type stomach problems. I have to have a bottled water from the water point. If i boil it first it's fine. Any ideas what this is ? It's been fine for the last 15 years.  We've got a big tank so takes 6 weeks or so to empty fully. i don't really want to shove water purifying tablets in there as they taste like bleach and it's not going to go down well with the kids. Flushing it through isn't so easy as there's usually a queue at the water point anyway and it takes us ages to fill up once, never mind twice and emptying it in between. 

Anyone else had this problem ? Can we get our water tested? if so how ? Also...why does it just effect me and not the rest of my family? 

Thanks everyone. Hope your staying safe 

Have you had a look in your tank? You might be very surprised, and you might decide that everyone else should drink bottled water.

After 15 years, it is probably getting a bit rusty/gunky/whatever, and you may have the most sensitive digestive system in the family.

We have just flushed our system through after having water sat in it for a year. The purifying tablets may taste and smell funny but they do their job and the smell and taste doesn't last forever.

Agree with the advice to look in the tank. Ours is plastic so wont degrade like a steel tank.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Same with us.

10 litre 'camping' water containers for drinking & teeth,

Tank supplies hot water to shower, washing up and washing machine.

We have a  stainless steel water tank and it's not very big so water gets used fairly quickly but we just prefer drinking the water fresh from the tap.

Something your stomach doesn't like is growing in the tank. You really do need to sterilise the tank before it gets worse and starts affecting the rest of the family.

You don't need to test the water - your stomach is already doing that!

Thin (not thick) bleach is cheaper than sterilizing tablets and does the job just as well. Pour a bottle in, leave it overnight, then drain and refill the tank a couple of times. Yes it's a bit of a pain, but you know it makes sense.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 2

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Something your stomach doesn't like is growing in the tank. You really do need to sterilise the tank before it gets worse and starts affecting the rest of the family.

You don't need to test the water - your stomach is already doing that!

Thin (not thick) bleach is cheaper than sterilizing tablets and does the job just as well. Pour a bottle in, leave it overnight, then drain and refill the tank a couple of times. Yes it's a bit of a pain, but you know it makes sense.

^^^^ This :)

Hi David , yeah your right. Thanks for the top tip about the bleach. I think I knew I had to do this but have been avoiding it.  Back in the old days, GeForce the virus,  the kids would have been at school or we could have sent them off to stay with family and friends. 

I’m going to get some serious water containers 

12 hours ago, Rickent said:

We only drink bottled water filled from our water point, tank only gets used for showers and washing up.

Same here. I use the 5l  bottles that Tescos water comes in . Every so often I buy a bottle and save it (full) until it approaches it's use by date. For me this covers wear and tear on the old bottles. I've looked in and cleaned out my steel water tank??? 

We have always drunk the water from our onboard tank and have never had a problem from it, but it has always had a lot of water through it. It is only a small tank so when we are away on it, it gets filled up every couple of days with fresh.

We have only flushed it through this time as it has had water sat in there for a year while it has been ashore. We will be happy to drink it again now it has been sterilized and the system has had a load of sterilized water run though it.

I'm surprised that you all seem to lug containers of water around when you have onboard tanks!

12 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Like a few others we don't drink the water but use it for showers and washing up.

Edited that for you. Many folk drink their tank water. I was one of them. 

12 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have always drunk the water from our onboard tank and have never had a problem from it...

Ditto. 

12 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm surprised that you all seem to lug containers of water around when you have onboard tanks!

I think it’s a fashion thing. Witness the kids on the street who all seem to carry a bottle of water in their hands 24/7.  I have no idea how anybody survived before all these water companies started filling bottles from the tap and giving them fancy names. 

I remember my mother telling me about the well at her parent's home, (this would have been well before WWII), water drawn from the well would come up as clear as crystal but within the hour it turned, as she put it, "as gold as a guinea and stunk to high heaven", within 24 hours however it was odourless and clear again. The local blacksmith was a regular caller and would come with a couple of flagons once a week to draw some of the water to take home, he and his wife regarded it as an elixir. It would seem that it had a certain laxative effect as while the family were unaffected the mothers of certain school friends did complain about the effect whereupon my grandmother explained that "it must have been the cucumber sandwiches". They all lived well into old age, "you gotta eat a peck 'o dirt afore you die." But then old superstitions die hard, the last of the Essex cunning men lived not five miles away.

• Happy 1